Nebraska Nuclear Plant at Level 4 Alert!!

r

The Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) said the breach in the 2,000-foot inflatable berm around the Fort Calhoun station occurred around 1:25 a.m. local time.

More than 2 feet of water rushed in around containment buildings and electrical transformers at the 478-megawatt facility located 20 miles north of Omaha.

Reactor shutdown cooling and spent-fuel pool cooling were unaffected, the NRC said.

The plant, operated by the Omaha Public Power District, has been off line since April for refueling.

Crews activated emergency diesel generators after the breach, but restored normal electrical power by Sunday afternoon, the NRC said.

Buildings at the Fort Calhoun plant are watertight, the agency said. It noted that the cause of the berm breach is under investigation.

NRC Chairman Gregory Jaczko and other officials planned to visit the site on Monday.

Floodwaters surround nuke plant after breach | Reuters

How will they visit ??? By Canoe ???

Nothing unusual to see here folks.... Keep moving.... No camera's, no pictures.

So what danger are you trying to point out? Want to make a point rather than being facetious?

Hey, at least it is not salt water, right? That little incident is no threat at all to the integrity of the plant, right? That's just a tiny little puddle. There is no threat here what so ever.

For the grown ups, defending this position, do I really need to spell out the concerns???

r

The Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) said the breach in the 2,000-foot inflatable berm around the Fort Calhoun station occurred around 1:25 a.m. local time.

More than 2 feet of water rushed in around containment buildings and electrical transformers at the 478-megawatt facility located 20 miles north of Omaha.

Reactor shutdown cooling and spent-fuel pool cooling were unaffected, the NRC said.

The plant, operated by the Omaha Public Power District, has been off line since April for refueling.

Crews activated emergency diesel generators after the breach, but restored normal electrical power by Sunday afternoon, the NRC said.

Buildings at the Fort Calhoun plant are watertight, the agency said. It noted that the cause of the berm breach is under investigation.

NRC Chairman Gregory Jaczko and other officials planned to visit the site on Monday.

Floodwaters surround nuke plant after breach | Reuters

How will they visit ??? By Canoe ???

Nothing unusual to see here folks.... Keep moving.... No camera's, no pictures.

So what danger are you trying to point out? Want to make a point rather than being facetious?

For thee record, at the least, no matter one's position on Nuclear Power, this is a Certified, ""Oh Shit"" Moment. No kidding.

Here is what I hope is a helpful observation.... Not only do your back ups need back ups, your emergency response needs portable generators, pumps, capable of some serious ass kicking effect. It needs to be able to make a dent.

Last edited:
Hey, at least it is not salt water, right? That little incident is no threat at all to the integrity of the plant, right? That's just a tiny little puddle. There is no threat here what so ever.

For the grown ups, defending this position, do I really need to spell out the concerns???
No. Do you need to exaggerate the concerns? No.

Here is what I hope is a helpful observation.... Not only do your back ups need back ups, your emergency response needs portable generators, pumps, capable of some serious ass kicking effect. It needs to be able to make a dent.
The plant has numerous backup systems as well as backups to the backups. The cooling plants have several ways of being cooled, including steam powered by the plant itself without the need for electricity. The core itself is completely sealed, far above the level of the Missouri, and currently shut down. The cooling pools are also waterproof and even higher than the core.

It amazes me how people think none of this stuff has been thought of before now.

The plant has numerous backup systems as well as backups to the backups. The cooling plants have several ways of being cooled, including steam powered by the plant itself without the need for electricity. The core itself is completely sealed, far above the level of the Missouri, and currently shut down. The cooling pools are also waterproof and even higher than the core.

It amazes me how people think none of this stuff has been thought of before now.

What he said. Even if the reactor had not been in shutdown since April, they would have shut it down when the water reached a certain height.

There is nothing wrong with being concerned about this. What is wrong is when people try to make it out to be more than what it is.

The logic here used by the chicken littles makes me giggle. The people at the plant increase their layers of safety, even though they really dont need to. One of the added layers fails for a short time, while the rest of the safety layers hold, yet for some reason thier prudence is used against them in the court of public opinion. If they had not added the extra berm, there would have been no chance of it failing, and the other safety layers would still be there. However the ADDED layer of safety had a failure, effecting nothing, and it is used as an example of the whole safety system not working.

Show me what I'm exaggerating. Link please.

I think you might want to be researching more, and commenting less.

What he said. Even if the reactor had not been in shutdown since April, they would have shut it down when the water reached a certain height.

There is nothing wrong with being concerned about this. What is wrong is when people try to make it out to be more than what it is.

The logic here used by the chicken littles makes me giggle. The people at the plant increase their layers of safety, even though they really dont need to. One of the added layers fails for a short time, while the rest of the safety layers hold, yet for some reason thier prudence is used against them in the court of public opinion. If they had not added the extra berm, there would have been no chance of it failing, and the other safety layers would still be there. However the ADDED layer of safety had a failure, effecting nothing, and it is used as an example of the whole safety system not working.

Does the NRC pay you to run cover??? Do we need to start asking for disclosure statements here??? No one is criticizing prudence here Sparky. Claiming that a Nuke plant partially under water is business as usual, or nothing is effected, is pretty lame.

Maybe the focus should be the fix and not excuses and diversion.

Read your own posts, junior. You'll find plenty of exaggerations and chicken little bullshit coming from you.

I've done the research. NOBODY in a position to know is saying there is a danger. It is only you idiots pretending that the plant has no abilities to cope with a flood. Does it bear watching? Sure. Does it bear the doom and gloom bullshit you like to push in order to push your anti-nuclear agenda? No.

Read your own posts, junior. You'll find plenty of exaggerations and chicken little bullshit coming from you.

I've done the research. NOBODY in a position to know is saying there is a danger. It is only you idiots pretending that the plant has no abilities to cope with a flood. Does it bear watching? Sure. Does it bear the doom and gloom bullshit you like to push in order to push your anti-nuclear agenda? No.

You might try to distinguish between what I actually say, and what came from my links.

Chicken Little Bullshit??? Are you really that blind???

There is potential danger anytime a Nuke Plant finds itself under water Ace. Stop making excuses. Unforeseen Disaster is not a viable excuse either. Deal with it.

There was a time when I was 100% Anti-Nuke. I had 6 arrests protesting Diablo Canyon, way back when. That is nowhere the case now. I will support Safe Remote Nuclear Plants with on site reprocessing. Best foot forward, no cutting corners. You all are dropping the ball right now, clean up your shit. Never mind your critics, and focus on solutions. That flood water needs to go. You need reliable flood control.

Does the NRC pay you to run cover??? Do we need to start asking for disclosure statements here??? No one is criticizing prudence here Sparky. Claiming that a Nuke plant partially under water is business as usual, or nothing is effected, is pretty lame.

Ah the old accusation of being a paid shill. I guess if you dont like what I say, and can't really counter it, you have to go for the "agent of the guys I dont like" angle.

I am an engineer (Chemical, Master's Degree), and I have experience with plant operations (not nuclear) with some training in process safety and control.

From the information I have they are handling this in a way where the chance of any major failures is in the 5 decimal figure range. (i.e. 0.0001%).

The only fix to make the situation 100% safe is not to have floods, in particular not to have a 500 year flood. The fact they are brining in additional layers of safety and control for a twice in a millenium flood level should make people feel better, not run for the nearest bomb shelter.

You might try to distinguish between what I actually say, and what came from my links.

No, I am that smart. I am not going to go off half cocked and make an ass out of myself by reading into the situation that which is not there.

Intense said:
There is potential danger anytime a Nuke Plant finds itself under water Ace. Stop making excuses. Unforeseen Disaster is not a viable excuse either. Deal with it.
Sure there is potential danger. There is ALWAYS potential danger. But this isn't a danger that hasn't been planned for and forseen. They have triple redundancy as well as plans on dealing with floods even if they get to the reactor which NO forcast is claiming the Missouri will reach. So even pretending this is a disaster, much less an unforseen disaster is nothing other than chicken little bullshit. NOTHING HAS HAPPENED. There is no disaster. No radiation has leaked. Nothing is in danger at this point.

Intense said:
There was a time when I was 100% Anti-Nuke. I had 6 arrests protesting Diablo Canyon, way back when. That is nowhere the case now. I will support Safe Remote Nuclear Plants with on site reprocessing. Best foot forward, no cutting corners. You all are dropping the ball right now, clean up your shit. Never mind your critics, and focus on solutions. That flood water needs to go. You need reliable flood control.
Who is "you"? Try as you might to pretend myself and others are some kind of government agents, we're not.

As for dropping the ball, how is the ball being dropped? What has been done wrong? The flood waters will go away when they go away. Despite all your whining, we are still at the mercy of Mother Nature. Moses isn't going to come forward and part the Missouri just because you want reliable flood control.

Nuclear plants need a source of water. With being close to water, you have to deal with flooding. This isn't the first time. It won't be the last time. It isn't something they've "cut corners" on.

BTW, don't you feel silly with all your protests over diablo canyon? It has been servicing 2.2 million people in California for over 20 years and not one of them has dropped dead from radiation.

Ah the old accusation of being a paid shill. I guess if you dont like what I say, and can't really counter it, you have to go for the "agent of the guys I dont like" angle.

I am an engineer (Chemical, Master's Degree), and I have experience with plant operations (not nuclear) with some training in process safety and control.

From the information I have they are handling this in a way where the chance of any major failures is in the 5 decimal figure range. (i.e. 0.0001%).

The only fix to make the situation 100% safe is not to have floods, in particular not to have a 500 year flood. The fact they are brining in additional layers of safety and control for a twice in a millenium flood level should make people feel better, not run for the nearest bomb shelter.

I don't see anyone other than you bringing up running and bomb shelters. Innovation is a good thing. You should be working with the best Technologies to make Nuclear Power both Safer and more efficient. That is a good thing.
This puzzle you are working with now is a great opportunity, to advance flood control and the levy system.

It is obvious nothing was in place to deal with the breach, seal it off, partition, and remove the flood water. That is your starting point be it a Reactor, a neighborhood, or a city.

It is obvious nothing was in place to deal with the breach, seal it off, partition, and remove the flood water. That is your starting point be it a Reactor, a neighborhood, or a city.

Seriously?!? This is what you think? Wow. So all the documented efforts they made before the flood is what you call nothing in place to deal with the breach?

BTW, what breach are you talking about? None of the buildings are flooded and none of the systems are down. Or are you just talking about the fact some of the buildings are surrounded by water?

No, I am that smart. I am not going to go off half cocked and make an ass out of myself by reading into the situation that which is not there.

Intense said:
Sure there is potential danger. There is ALWAYS potential danger. But this isn't a danger that hasn't been planned for and forseen. They have triple redundancy as well as plans on dealing with floods even if they get to the reactor which NO forcast is claiming the Missouri will reach. So even pretending this is a disaster, much less an unforseen disaster is nothing other than chicken little bullshit. NOTHING HAS HAPPENED. There is no disaster. No radiation has leaked. Nothing is in danger at this point.

Intense said:
Who is "you"? Try as you might to pretend myself and others are some kind of government agents, we're not.

As for dropping the ball, how is the ball being dropped? What has been done wrong? The flood waters will go away when they go away. Despite all your whining, we are still at the mercy of Mother Nature. Moses isn't going to come forward and part the Missouri just because you want reliable flood control.

Nuclear plants need a source of water. With being close to water, you have to deal with flooding. This isn't the first time. It won't be the last time. It isn't something they've "cut corners" on.

BTW, don't you feel silly with all your protests over diablo canyon? It has been servicing 2.2 million people in California for over 20 years and not one of them has dropped dead from radiation.

You need to calm down Sally. I understand why you are so defensive, with all of the time and money invested in the Industry. I understand too the embarrassment over the flooding, and the piss poor reaction to it. Sorta like Keystone Cops reacting to an emergency, huh. That evaporation thing looks to be working for you so well. My mistake. LMAO, if the consequences weren't so costly.

Diablo Canyon, no better place to build a Reactor than an active fault line, you got me there. You win, I lose. How old were those plants in Japan. How long will the ground be contaminated there? How about the Ukraine? No arguing with you there. You are just so right, and I have never bee more wrong. My last visit there, I broke Maximum Security, Spring 1984, haven't been back since. Some battles could not be won. Still, I would love to see more Hydro-Electric and Gas Powered Plants. That's just me though.

Just Curious, what is your position on Nuclear Battery Plants, the pluses ans minuses???

Designed by the Los Alamos National Laboratory spin-off Hyperion Power Generation Inc., the nuclear battery — so called because it is cheap, small and easily transportable — is about the size of a refrigerator, compared with a 50-ft.-tall traditional reactor. It produces 25 megawatts of electricity — approximately a fortieth the output of a large atomic power-plant reactor.

Read more: Nuclear Batteries - TIME

Intense said:

You need to calm down Sally. I understand why you are so defensive, with all of the time and money invested in the Industry. I understand too the embarrassment over the flooding, and the piss poor reaction to it. Sorta like Keystone Cops reacting to an emergency, huh. That evaporation thing looks to be working for you so well. My mistake. LMAO, if the consequences weren't so costly.

Diablo Canyon, no better place to build a Reactor than an active fault line, you got me there. You win, I lose. How old were those plants in Japan. How long will the ground be contaminated there? How about the Ukraine? No arguing with you there. You are just so right, and I have never bee more wrong. My last visit there, I broke Maximum Security, Spring 1984, haven't been back since. Some battles could not be won. Still, I would love to see more Hydro-Electric and Gas Powered Plants. That's just me though.

Just Curious, what is your position on Nuclear Battery Plants, the pluses ans minuses???

Designed by the Los Alamos National Laboratory spin-off Hyperion Power Generation Inc., the nuclear battery — so called because it is cheap, small and easily transportable — is about the size of a refrigerator, compared with a 50-ft.-tall traditional reactor. It produces 25 megawatts of electricity — approximately a fortieth the output of a large atomic power-plant reactor.

You mean like going off half cocked and exaggerating others real and valid concerns by calling them liars and fearmongerers, and saying they are bad for the interests of the nuclear industry? Do you mean you don't make an ass out of yourself by reacting like that?

I haven't had time to look, but since building a nuke plant close to water presents the possibility of flooding somewhere down the road, are they built with some sort of increased elevation as a precaution, then add the other means of protection against flooding, what ever those may be. Seems like building it on a taller foundation would be an obvious good place to start when considering rising water in the safety plans.

Anyway, Hopefully, no dams will break, and the emergency measures will work. They are at the mercy of the dams and the weather which they have no real control over...Or do they??

Last edited:

I don't see anyone other than you bringing up running and bomb shelters. Innovation is a good thing. You should be working with the best Technologies to make Nuclear Power both Safer and more efficient. That is a good thing.
This puzzle you are working with now is a great opportunity, to advance flood control and the levy system.

Look at the first few posts. Again my complaint is about exaggerating the problems they are having for politcal gain.

If you read the current stories all the primary equipment is still dry. The breach was in a TEMPORARY SYSTEM added to increase the safety level.

In fact the newest event that happened is they went on diesel generator power for a bit due to the water getting closer to thier outside power substation. Again, event, discussion, action. They went back to grid power once the water stopped rising. That makes sense as you want to conserve your diesel stored for when you really really need it. (I have run an emergency generator at a wastewater facility during a blackout).

I note you didnt answer your calling me a paid hack. Thats poor form, and you can't prove it. Very weaselish.

I haven't had time to look, but since building a nuke plant close to water presents the possibility of flooding somewhere down the road, are they built with some sort of increased elevation as a precaution, then add the other means of protection against flooding, what ever those may be. Seems like building it on a taller foundation would be an obvious good place to start when considering rising water in the safety plans.

If you had read any of the articles I've linked discussing what is already in place, you would have known that the cooling pools, all critical equipment and reactor have been elevated far above the rest of the complex and are six feet above where the Missouri is predicted to crest on Wednesday. Regardless, there are plans in place should the Missouri reach even that record breaking level.

Ah. Still going to go with the rather lame premise that I am one of "them"? So be it. It is your credibility that takes a hit when you pretend everyone else is working for "the man". :lol:

So where did I even mention evaporation? Now you have to lie in order to belittle others? Wow.

Intense said:
:lol: What a whiner. So are you going to pretend Diablo Canyon wasn't built to withstand earthquakes?

Intense said:
And why would you want to know that? So far all you do is mock people and then lie about what they say. For the record I am against them as I feel they wouldn't have the redundancy, safeguards and regulation that permanent facilities have.

Forum List

Back