Navy's New Laser Weapon

Government is about services, and private sector about profit.

Having said that: cost benefit analysis and efficiently are highly desirable in government.

Exactly.

Every day on this board I hear posters tell me that government needs to run more like a business, and be accountable for the money it spends.

For some reason, this does not seem to apply to defence.

since when?

damn

If your going to lie, at least make an effort that's not laughable.

Government is about services, and private sector about profit.

Having said that: cost benefit analysis and efficiently are highly desirable in government.

Exactly.

Every day on this board I hear posters tell me that government needs to run more like a business, and be accountable for the money it spends.

since when?

damn

You're right of course.
It'll be sold to the rest of the world in no time for a nice wee profit.

Won't the bad guys just make everything out of mirrors?
What happens to the laser ricochets?

Mind you, I suppose then the US could just throw stones - resurrect the catapult.
Mind you yet again, a whole new military strategy will be needed to avoid the bad luck that would follow.

Exactly.

since when?

damn

You're right of course.
It'll be sold to the rest of the world in no time for a nice wee profit.

Unlikely.

I base this on the fact we never sold a nuclear sub to anyone.

United States To Lease Or Sell A Nuclear Submarine To Australia

oops, I "searched" and found out we are actually going to.

It only took 40 years, soo....

Mind you, I suppose then the US could just throw stones - resurrect the catapult.
Mind you yet again, a whole new military strategy will be needed to avoid the bad luck that would follow.

:lol::cuckoo::rofl::cuckoo::lol:

Godboy -

The US currently spends something like four times what ANY other nation on earth spends on arms.

If the US can not maintain its power with a budget $600 billion greater than that of China - then it needs to work more efficiently.

I suggest that if the US defence forces were a private business, they would have to slash spending by at least half in order to be considered a decent investment.

Try 41% of the world total military spend!
World Military Spending ? Global Issues

They spend more than the next 17 countries combined.
Military spending: Defence costs | The Economist

Great.....wait'll the street version comes out. The far left assholes will be wanting to ban Spock from the TV.

The Second Amendment clearly protects your right to own a killer laser.
The far left assholes might try to limit the size of your batteries though.

While it's true that only certain kinds of Lazers cut through mirrors, I'm willing to bet the Navy is using one of those.

There is plenty of Interesting reading on the web if you Google "Lazer Defense" or something similar.

Glad to see our defense doing some worthwhile innovation.

We are still going to need to cut that budget by 40% during the next 12 years.

Think about it. We could precision-cauterize the vas deferens of every Al Quaeda male from 10,000 feet above the earth.

Let's do that.

And........I have a little auxilliary list of other candidates. Could you forward that to the Navy?

Godboy -

The US currently spends something like four times what ANY other nation on earth spends on arms.

If the US can not maintain its power with a budget $600 billion greater than that of China - then it needs to work more efficiently.

I suggest that if the US defence forces were a private business, they would have to slash spending by at least half in order to be considered a decent investment.

Such monetary comparisons of military are idiotic. China has a much bigger military than the US, but the communist country practicaly uses slave labor to produce all of its hardware and pays its military a fraction of what it costs for the US to pay for its employees.

No country in Europe is even close to size of the US, and they've lived under the protection of the same US military you critisize.

We welcome the day any other country will "step up" and take a stand against the world's terrorists and dictators. Until then, we'll spend however much we please on our own military.

theHawk -

I think you are confused. The US does not "protect" Europe - it is part of an alliance called NATO which means both European and North American countries agree to protect each other.

If you recall wars like Iraq generally involve European troops fighting your wars - not the other way around.

And let's be honest here, the US supports as many terrorists and dictators as it fights. Why should other countries "step up" and back hypocrisy?

Forum List

Back