Navy SEAL team likely honored in secret for raid

CRStar

Rookie
Apr 11, 2011
Beverly Hills
By JULIE WATSON, Associated Press Julie Watson, Associated Press – Wed May 4, 5:45 am ET

SAN DIEGO – The highly secretive Navy SEAL team that killed Osama bin Laden will likely be honored in the only way such a covert group can be: in private with nobody but themselves and their commanders in the know.

Quietly recognizing heroic actions for clandestine operations is not new in the military. Some service members wear war decorations but refuse to talk about how they earned them. Others stash away their medals, either because they've been ordered to hide them or they have chosen to for their own security.

And there are those heroes who have never lived to see a medal, their families sworn to secrecy until they were honored posthumously. For the elite few who dropped from the sky into the walled compound in Pakistan, they must carry on without breathing a word about their participation in Sunday's spectacular raid that eliminated the world's most-wanted terrorist.

It is a secret that surely must burn in their souls, but military officials say they have no doubt it will be kept. The stakes are too high.

The Navy still hasn't confirmed its SEALs carried out the much-lauded, 40-minute operation. But privately, Rear Adm. Edward Winters, at Naval Special Warfare Command in California, sent an email congratulating his forces and reminding them to keep quiet because "the fight is not over."

Winters is the chief of the elite SEAL unit officially known as Naval Special Warfare Development Group, or "DEVGRU," which is made up of only a few hundred personnel based in Dam Neck, Va. They call themselves "the quiet professionals."

Navy SEAL team likely honored in secret for raid - Yahoo! News

I am sure there will be a few Navy Cross', Distinguished Service Medals, etc. going around. As well as some well-deserved leave and R/R.

to a man, they each have earned 2 Congressional Medals of Honor apiece....:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Those men are heroes.:clap2:
Yes they are, and so are the CIA and other intelligence field operatives who helped develop the intelligence information that mad this possible. Let's drop the politics long enough to honor these dedicated professionals whose work must be done in the shadows.

Those men are heroes.:clap2:
Yes they are, and so are the CIA and other intelligence field operatives who helped develop the intelligence information that mad this possible. Let's drop the politics long enough to honor these dedicated professionals whose work must be done in the shadows.

I also give props to the Pakistani field agents on the ground who got the license plate of the courier which led to all of this.

As a vet.. I salute the team... Duty, honor, country.. They deserve accolades... but I am sure the self satisfaction means much more... I know I don't look at my medals, but I feel the impact of the actions behind them continually

Navy-Seals1.jpg

Duty, honor, country. Three little words with so much meaning.

These guys are heroes one and all. They do things that we can only wonder about.

God bless them all and heres hoping they will always be out there fighting the good fight to protect us here at home.

By JULIE WATSON, Associated Press Julie Watson, Associated Press – Wed May 4, 5:45 am ET

SAN DIEGO – The highly secretive Navy SEAL team that killed Osama bin Laden will likely be honored in the only way such a covert group can be: in private with nobody but themselves and their commanders in the know.

Quietly recognizing heroic actions for clandestine operations is not new in the military. Some service members wear war decorations but refuse to talk about how they earned them. Others stash away their medals, either because they've been ordered to hide them or they have chosen to for their own security.

And there are those heroes who have never lived to see a medal, their families sworn to secrecy until they were honored posthumously. For the elite few who dropped from the sky into the walled compound in Pakistan, they must carry on without breathing a word about their participation in Sunday's spectacular raid that eliminated the world's most-wanted terrorist.

It is a secret that surely must burn in their souls, but military officials say they have no doubt it will be kept. The stakes are too high.

The Navy still hasn't confirmed its SEALs carried out the much-lauded, 40-minute operation. But privately, Rear Adm. Edward Winters, at Naval Special Warfare Command in California, sent an email congratulating his forces and reminding them to keep quiet because "the fight is not over."

Winters is the chief of the elite SEAL unit officially known as Naval Special Warfare Development Group, or "DEVGRU," which is made up of only a few hundred personnel based in Dam Neck, Va. They call themselves "the quiet professionals."

When the left quits crediting Obama for something he didn't do, perhaps those that did the job will get the accolades.

But then, they don' want them. They aren't lying to run for office.

When the left quits crediting Obama for something he didn't do, perhaps those that did the job will get the accolades.

But then, they don' want them. They aren't lying to run for office.

Hopefully they're back at Dan Neck Gunny, enjoying some cold ones and some time with their families. God knows they deserve it.

As a vet.. I salute the team... Duty, honor, country.. They deserve accolades... but I am sure the self satisfaction means much more... I know I don't look at my medals, but I feel the impact of the actions behind them continually

Duty, Honor, Country; those three words so often the subject of the sneers and jeers of some; but for those of us who have lived them in combat and seen good people give their lives for them, they mean more than any parade or medal ever could.

Duty, Honor, Country; those three words so often the subject of the sneers and jeers of some; but for those of us who have lived them in combat and seen good people give their lives for them, they mean more than any parade or medal ever could.

never saw combat in the Air Force, but I agree 100%. This is why I am so disgusted when the media puts & glorifies actors & sports personalities as "role models" instead of seeking out the true heroes of our times....

never saw combat in the Air Force, but I agree 100%. This is why I am so disgusted when the media puts & glorifies actors & sports personalities as "role models" instead of seeking out the true heroes of our times....

Thanks for serving (even if you were a Junior Birdman :razz:) Inter-service rivalry aside, I have to admit that there were more than a couple of times in 'Nam I was VERY happy to see the friendly FAC and a flight of fast movers show up to save our grunt bacon.

The thing I like about these guys is that they do the right thing just because it is, not for accolades or money or tv time.

Forum List

Back