Native Americans Not Offended by Washington Redskins

Liberals are just not doing an adequate job of convincing Native Americans, and the majority of all Americans, for that matter, that they should be offended.
Too funny !! :laugh:

Nope. Native American was termed by white liberals in an attempt to provide a dignified term to describe you. "Indian" was due to the dumb fuck Columbus thinking he landed in India. I thought that was common knowledge?

Oh, I know where it came from. It was then used for several hundred years by white men as a label for my ancestors. When did "Native American" come into vogue, the 1960s? What makes you think it is "dignified" to rob me of my identity and culture and label me with a name you created which has no significance to me or my people?

... already informed you that not only are label and description synonyms the word label has the word descriptive in its definition.

Oh well then, I guess it's not a label but a pejorative. :dunno:
If you knew where it came from why did you claim white liberals came up with the term indian? Youre either confusing yourself or lying. Which one is it? Native American was an attempt to dignify your people but rooted in white privilege which I pointed out after listening to your complaints. The major point here are the intentions. "Red skin" was used in a racist and derogatory manner. You stated you have more of a problem with "native american". Obviously your ability to compare and logically figure out which one is more derogatory is impaired. It would be like me saying I have more of an issue with being called an African American than being called a ******. Doesnt make any logical sense at all.

If you knew where it came from why did you claim white liberals came up with the term indian?

You need to go read the thread again, bud... you've gotten it backwards. You claimed NA came from white privilege. I responded that it came from liberal white guilt and "Indian" came from white privilege.

If you knew where it came from why did you claim white liberals came up with the term indian?

You need to go read the thread again, bud... you've gotten it backwards. You claimed NA came from white privilege. I responded that it came from liberal white guilt and "Indian" came from white privilege.
Except I proved that you didnt know what you were talking about. I have no need to read the thread again. "Native American" was an attempt by liberal whites trying to amend for their ways but still using white privilege. "Indian" came from the very lost and racist POS called Columbus.

The Washington Post is reporting a new poll that finds that a majority of Native Americans are not offended by the name of Washington, D.C.'s football team, the Washington Redskins.

John Woodrow Cox, Scott Clement and Theresa Vargas report:

Nine in 10 Native Americans say they are not offended by the Washington Redskins name, according to a new Washington Post poll that shows how few ordinary Indians have been persuaded by a national movement to change the football team’s moniker.

The survey of 504 people across every state and the District reveals that the minds of Native Americans have remained unchanged since a 2004 poll by the Annenberg Public Policy Center found the exact same result. Responses to The Post’s questions about the issue were broadly consistent regardless of age, income, education, political party or proximity to reservations.

The poll was conducted by by telephone Dec. 16 to April 12 among a random sample of 504 Native American adults. The poll asked. "The professional football team in Washington calls itself the Washington Redskins. As a Native American, do you find that name offensive, or doesn't it bother you?"

90 percent said "does not bother," 9 percent said it was offense, and 1 percent had no opinion.

The Washington Redskins name has been controversial in recent years. In 2014 the federal Trademark Trial and Appeal Board ruled that the team’s name is offensive to Native Americans and therefore ineligible for federal trademark protection under the Lanham Act, which bars protection for names that “may disparage” or bring people into contempt or disrepute. That decision was overturned in 2015 by the The United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.

In response to the poll. Redskin owner Daniel Snyder issued a statement: “The Washington Redskins team, our fans and community have always believed our name represents honor, respect and pride. Today’s Washington Post polling shows Native Americans agree. We are gratified by this overwhelming support from the Native American community, and the team will proudly carry the Redskins name.”

The mainstream media, who is the primary pusher of this stupidity, has known all along that Indians don't give a shit about the term "Redskins" as a team name.

Native American was an attempt to dignify your people but rooted in white privilege which I pointed out after listening to your complaints. The major point here are the intentions. "Red skin" was used in a racist and derogatory manner.

Again, NA was an attempt by do-gooder white liberals to assuage their guilt by scapegoating society as they always do. Has nothing to do with respect or dignity for my people. The intention was to bash and criticize those who called us "Indians" and come up with a "more appropriate" label to slap on us, while continuing to disrespect our cultural individuality. Anything can be used in a racist and derogatory manner.

Native American was an attempt to dignify your people but rooted in white privilege which I pointed out after listening to your complaints. The major point here are the intentions. "Red skin" was used in a racist and derogatory manner.

Again, NA was an attempt by do-gooder white liberals to assuage their guilt by scapegoating society as they always do. Has nothing to do with respect or dignity for my people. The intention was to bash and criticize those who called us "Indians" and come up with a "more appropriate" label to slap on us, while continuing to disrespect our cultural individuality. Anything can be used in a racist and derogatory manner.
Again you are wrong. Its use for indians came about during the civil rights movement. There was nothing about the name that was intentionally derogatory.

Native American name controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The use of Native American or native American to refer to peoples indigenous to the Americas came into widespread, common use during the civil rights movements of the 1960s and 1970s. This term was considered to more accurately represent historical fact (i.e., "Native" cultures predated European colonization), while activists also believed it was free of negative historical connotations that had come to be associated with previous terms. "

Your insistence on claiming an obviously racially derogatory term like redskin is better is amusing.

Again you are wrong. Its use for indians came about during the civil rights movement. There was nothing about the name that was intentionally derogatory.

Native American name controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The use of Native American or native American to refer to peoples indigenous to the Americas came into widespread, common use during the civil rights movements of the 1960s and 1970s. This term was considered to more accurately represent historical fact (i.e., "Native" cultures predated European colonization), while activists also believed it was free of negative historical connotations that had come to be associated with previous terms. "

Your insistence on claiming an obviously racially derogatory term like redskin is better is amusing.

As I correctly stated... it came about in the 1960s when guilty white liberals scapegoated society and applied it as the new "PC" label. It's STILL a label, slapped onto my people and other indigenous peoples in order to continue ignoring our individuality. I never claimed it was "intentionally" derogatory.

Except I proved that you didnt know what you were talking about. I have no need to read the thread again. "Native American" was an attempt by liberal whites trying to amend for their ways but still using white privilege. "Indian" came from the very lost and racist POS called Columbus.

No... Indian STARTED with Columbus but he simply made an honest mistake... we can forgive Columbus. For the next 500 years, it was used by people who knew damn well we weren't from India. White people with privilege. In the 60s, guilty white liberals used it to scapegoat society and brought on the new label "Native American" ....again, knowing full well that our people were NEVER treated or respected as Americans of ANY kind. They didn't give a shit because their motivations had nothing to do with respecting us, it was about their own guilt and laying that guilt off on society.

No... Indian STARTED with Columbus but he simply made an honest mistake... we can forgive Columbus. For the next 500 years, it was used by people who knew damn well we weren't from India. White people with privilege. In the 60s, guilty white liberals used it to scapegoat society and brought on the new label "Native American" ....again, knowing full well that our people were NEVER treated or respected as Americans of ANY kind. They didn't give a shit because their motivations had nothing to do with respecting us, it was about their own guilt and laying that guilt off on society.
You may be able to forgive Columbus but most people understand he was a flaming feral racist that fed indigenous children to the dogs he brought from europe. Either you lack education in what columbus was about or like your outrage with the term Native American and not redskin you are confused.

You may be able to forgive Columbus but most people understand he was a flaming feral racist that fed indigenous children to the dogs he brought from europe. Either you lack education in what columbus was about or like your outrage with the term Native American and not redskin you are confused.

Ah... so one way or another, you intend to divert this. Semantics didn't work, now you're going to prattle about Columbus. My people were here at least a thousand years before Columbus.... we're not really sure how long because all our records and history was erased and destroyed by the white man. Along with our culture, our art, our people.

"Native American" is just another in a long series of backhanded slaps the white man has given to my people. The sheer arrogance to believe that we're so stupid as to accept such an insulting token from the white man. When were WE ever asked if we accepted that term to define us? We WEREN'T! We never have been asked... We've never been Americans.

BUT... None of this matters one whit to you... let's just sweep it all under the rug and pretend everything is fine and dandy and "Native American" is totally acceptable to everyone and we're all great people doing great things!

Forum List

Back