Nathan Bedford Forrest statue causing controversy

False analogy, once again. Forrest had no legal authority to issue a "no quarter" directive. Your own sources point out that the Confederates did not accept surrenders when offered and murdered the Union troops.

You defend the indefensible.

You did. You used two different incidents to analogize that Forrest could not be guilty of mass murder, when, in his case, he called for "no quarter'. That makes no sense.

You need to learn terms.

You really need to learn the definition of "analogy'. I didn't use one, false or otherwise. I asked you why you would consider 200 murdered in one instance to be "mass murder" and not consider 6000 murdered in another instance to also be mass murder for which someone should be held accountable. And I still await your answer with bated breath.

...not produced sufficient documents for his case.

Hey! Get a clue! Nobody owes you a damn thing. This is neither a courtroom nor a classroom. People try to help cure your abysmal ignorance because it is an embassment to the rest of us. Your determination to ignore the sources you've been provided is noone's fault but your own.

Fake, there was no quarter asked, there was no surrender, the colors were never struck, it was a fight to the finish.

It was no massacre, it was the Union equivalent of the Japanese on Iwo Jima.

Your claim has never been accepted. Forrest could have taken the surrenders. He did not. If he could not control his soldiers, he was still responsible for their actions. He is guilty of mass murder.

When are you guys going to talk sensibly?

Your claim has never been accepted. Forrest could have taken the surrenders. He did not. If he could not control his soldiers, he was still responsible for their actions. He is guilty of mass murder.

According to a Union officer interviewed after his capture, (his interview is in the OR) THERE WAS NO SURRENDER!

Jesus Fake, why do you continue to spout such an easily disproved LIE?

There was no surrender because the Confederates were killing prisoners.

You guys are so easy to turn inside out.

Fakey plods on with his carpetbagger talking points regardless of whatever facts have been posted.

Why do you bother, Fakey?

Confederate soldiers murdered Union soldiers trying to surrender. Mass murder. Forrest is responsible. End of story.

Fakey plods on with his carpetbagger talking points regardless of whatever facts have been posted.

Why do you bother, Fakey?

protected-by-redneck-rebel-flag-redneck-rerun-stupid-human-1293156301.jpg

There was no surrender because the Confederates were killing prisoners.

You guys are so easy to turn inside out.

You mean like the thousands of POWs the union tortured to death at it's extermination camp in Chicago?
Are you in favor of mass murder?

the man was a brilliant cavalry commander but not much of a human being.

the original was dedicated in 2000, I am stretching to see the point in it all......

I disagree. Forrest was light years ahead of most people on civil rights in his day.

Nathan Bedford Forrest Racist? Read On

Forrest's speech during a meeting of the "Jubilee of Pole Bearers" is a story that needs to be told. Gen. Forrest was the first white man to be invited by this group which was a forerunner of today's Civil Right's group. A reporter of the Memphis Avalanche newspaper was sent to cover the event that included a Southern barbeque supper.

Miss Lou Lewis, daughter of a Pole Bearer member, was introduced to Forrest and she presented the former general a bouquet of flowers as a token of reconciliation, peace and good will. On July 5, 1875, Nathan Bedford Forrest delivered this speech:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, I accept the flowers as a memento of reconciliation between the white and colored races of the Southern states. I accept it more particularly as it comes from a colored lady, for if there is any one on God's earth who loves the ladies I believe it is myself. (Immense applause and laughter.) I came here with the jeers of some white people, who think that I am doing wrong. I believe I can exert some influence, and do much to assist the people in strengthening fraternal relations, and shall do all in my power to elevate every man, to depress none.

(Applause.)

I want to elevate you to take positions in law offices, in stores, on farms, and wherever you are capable of going. I have not said anything about politics today. I don't propose to say anything about politics. You have a right to elect whom you please; vote for the man you think best, and I think, when that is done, you and I are freemen. Do as you consider right and honest in electing men for office. I did not come here to make you a long speech, although invited to do so by you. I am not much of a speaker, and my business prevented me from preparing myself. I came to meet you as friends, and welcome you to the white people. I want you to come nearer to us. When I can serve you I will do so. We have but one flag, one country; let us stand together. We may differ in color, but not in sentiment. Many things have been said about me which are wrong, and which white and black persons here, who stood by me through the war, can contradict. Go to work, be industrious, live honestly and act truly, and when you are oppressed I'll come to your relief. I thank you, ladies and gentlemen, for this opportunity you have afforded me to be with you, and to assure you that I am with you in heart and in hand." (Prolonged applause.)

End of speech.

Nathan Bedford Forrest again thanked Miss Lewis for the bouquet and then gave her a kiss on the cheek. Such a kiss was unheard of in the society of those days, in 1875, but it showed a token of respect and friendship between the general and the black community and did much to promote harmony among the citizens of Memphis.

Here's another viewpoint of the Union defeat at Ft. Pillow:--------------
By Julian B. Shand Jr.
Format:Hardcover|Amazon Verified PurchaseMuch good information, but------
When discussing the Battle of Fort Pillow, most if not all Dixie-bashers start their distortions by leaving things out of the description of the fort itself. Originally a Confederate fort, it was next used as a Yankee outpost. It came in handy for transporting cotton stolen by Yankees from Southern civilians and shipped up the river for sale. It was a base for legitimate military operations (if you believe that an offensive war, against a country that doesn't threaten your country, is in any way legitimate). Later when terrorist actions against civilian women, children and old men became a major activity, it provided a sanctuary for the terrorists, who could find safety to rest up, replenish ammo, and dispose of the articles stolen from nearby homes. Military authorities had ordered abandonment of the fort; this was not done, probably because of the profits from stolen cotton.
Confederate soldiers whose homes were subject to terror raids prayed for destruction of those who terrified their families, and often molested the girls and women, and burned the homes and barns. The most feared were slaves who had run away. Escaping is, of course, most understandable. But the ones who joined the Yankees knew the roads, knew where the females were, and whether they had protectors; where the guns were; where the cotton was, where food and horses were, and even where the men of the house were.
Another great concern was the possibility of a general slave uprising, bringing a terrible race war like Haiti suffered. The worst nightmare for Southern soldiers away from home was a mob of armed slaves attacking their families. So Fort Pillow represented a threat to their homes, a haven for war criminals, and there was a crying need for swift justice.
Forrest, however, was very intelligent, and avoided giving excuse for retaliation against Southern civilians and prisoners. He would never have arranged a massacre. The northern hue and cry about Fort Pillow was mostly trumped up to counter Southern protests against war crimes by the invaders.

So is Cannibalism, but most sane people know you shouldn't do that sort of thing.

No, cannibalism offers no survival advantage, quite the opposite.

Racism ensures that the genes of ones own tribe or clan are continued to the next generation.

It's a primitive construct that modern civilization recognizes as unneeded, but back in hunter-gatherer cultures, it was vital to survival.

The historical facts remain the same: CSA soldiers under Forrest's command murdered black Union soldiers who were trying to surrender. It was a mass murder. No amount of crying, sighing, denying, or bripat lying changes that.

bripat knows that 9ID used a false analogy and has also not produced sufficient documents for his case.

Both bripat and 9ID have a right to express their opinions, but that is all that they have, opinions which are not evidence.

A fals analogy huh? Well, try this one. We know that the Garrison at Ft. Pillow was some 557 men of which some 262 (13th Tennessee Infantry) were White, and some 295 USCT, of which number around 20 were White officers. We also know that both Union and Confederate accounts agree that the number of bodies buried was 228-231. That would mean at least 326 survivors from the Union garrison. Accounts of 300+ USCT "massacred" are simply impossible to reconcile wit these numbers. Now, if the guards at Camp Douglas executed around 200 Black Confederates, that would have been more than the number of USCT killed at Ft. Pillow, not to mention that many if not most of the deaths of USCT at Ft. Pillow resulted from direct combat i.e., they were NOT "executed". Yet you call Ft. Pillow a "massacre" for which you blame Forrest, while absolving the command at Camp Douglas of any responsibility for a policy carried out not once, but repeatedly over several years. Who was it who systematically killed Black POWs, again?

By the way, from the compiled Union and Confederate documentation in the OR (no, I am NOT going to put the citation out here again; it's been posted, and you can just go back and find it for yourself!) Forrest had a total force of no more than 1500-1600. Even at that, had Forrest ordered No Quarter, the Confederates could easily have killed the entire garrison. This did NOT happen, because there was no such order given. The entire action took place in fifteen minutes or less, from the initial charge to the end of the shooting by the river.

You can't expect Fakey to do the math. It only confuses him, and he isn't interested in the facts anyway. Fakey is only concerned about repeating his propaganda memes. The Lincoln cultists defend the crimes of the union at all costs and blame the Confederacy for all the evils in the world.

Wow I am really impressed with you guys. I am never short of amazed when war historians start getting into detail as to what occurred when.

Imagine if they had the Internet back then, and people were arguing about who did what, and who lied through the media to cover up.

We'd have documentation of these disputes and debates still continuing to this day.
Keep up the good fight, fight fair, and educate the masses!

All their research has done, Emily, has reduced the murdering from more than 300 to 228-231, with significant blacks and whites? This is impressive?

Then they excuse it by accusing a Union POW camp of killing southern prisoners.

Really? This is 10th-grade level work by the clowns.

Confederate soldiers murdered Union troops who tried to surrender. War crimes, kids, for which we executed Germans, Italians, and Japanese.

Your pathology amazes me.

Forum List

Back