NASCAR fans , Question

p kirkes

VIP Member
Feb 26, 2006
NW Louisiana
Recent changes by NASCAR to draw and keeps fans gave me an idea that the present race format should be discussed with a view to a change.

At present races are held on tracks where all the cars, 44 or so, are started in line and the cars follow each other around the track for four hours more or less at very high speed. The race is often punctuated with large crashes collecting cars that were not directly involved and significantly altering the outcome. It's Quixotic (to me).

What is your reaction to a race format that consists of 22 (or less) cars, racing for 1.5 hours, in several elimination heats followed by a final heat of the winners of the previous elimination races?

The racing day could begin at 9AM and be over by dusk. The individual cars would not run more that 3 hours, several team drivers can be utilized and the cars could be repaired, tuned and otherwise serviced during their bye event.

A graduated points system could be devised, a certain schedule for elimination heats and more for championship heats.

The speeds should be lowered so fans can follow the action more closely, no more than 130 MPH. I think crashes would be drastically reduced and competition enhanced.

This is just a bare bones suggestion. I'm trying to gage if fans would be open to such changes in the racing format.

Regards,

Recent changes by NASCAR to draw and keeps fans gave me an idea that the present race format should be discussed with a view to a change.

At present races are held on tracks where all the cars, 44 or so, are started in line and the cars follow each other around the track for four hours more or less at very high speed. The race is often punctuated with large crashes collecting cars that were not directly involved and significantly altering the outcome. It's Quixotic (to me).

What is your reaction to a race format that consists of 22 (or less) cars, racing for 1.5 hours, in several elimination heats followed by a final heat of the winners of the previous elimination races?

The racing day could begin at 9AM and be over by dusk. The individual cars would not run more that 3 hours, several team drivers can be utilized and the cars could be repaired, tuned and otherwise serviced during their bye event.

A graduated points system could be devised, a certain schedule for elimination heats and more for championship heats.

The speeds should be lowered so fans can follow the action more closely, no more than 130 MPH. I think crashes would be drastically reduced and competition enhanced.

This is just a bare bones suggestion. I'm trying to gage if fans would be open to such changes in the racing format.

Regards,
You need to go to a good dirt track...say Talladega Short Track (across the road from the big track)

If you do, you'll be one of a few hundred that paid about $20 to get in the stands, more to get in the pits.

If you go the big track on race day, you'll be one of several thousand that paid from $63 to $285 for a seat in the stands---$1285 for a VIP pit pass.

Go figure!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back