NASA's Juno Mission Suffers a Frustrating Setback

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
NASA's Juno team reported today that, due to malfunctioning helium valves, Juno will not execute the required engine burn necessary to achieve the lower orbit initially outlined in it's mission plan. Instead of the 33 previously scheduled cloud skimming science orbits, the Juno spacecraft will continue in it's current 53.5 day orbit for a total of 14 science orbits concluding in July 2018... :(

Read the article here...http://gizmodo.com/nasas-juno-missi...78999-vv-f87c3717-3294-4836-9653-022654472d67

Last edited:
I can only imagine how much it sucks for the people who made the mission possible.

What a let down!

Agreed...I can imagine building something so complicated, with only one shot at success, trying to anticipate any and everything that could possibly go wrong, knowing that once it's launched there's no way to physically repair it.

I can only imagine how much it sucks for the people who made the mission possible.

What a let down!

Agreed...I can imagine building something so complicated, with only one shot at success, trying to anticipate any and everything that could possibly go wrong, knowing that once it's launched there's no way to physically repair it.

The suspense up until activation has to be intense!!!

Specs is a very difficult and unforgiving place.

Yeah....I always feel overwhelmed when I hit Specs!!!
There's so much to choose from!!!!
upload_2017-2-18_21-45-49.png

Forum List

Back