Washington Post: Trump isn't terribly concerned about being unpopular

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
"Some of the things I'm doing probably aren't popular, but they're necessary for security and for other reasons," Trump said.

That right there suggests all of Trump's bluster about how every negative poll is "fake news" is just that — bluster. But it also reveals something else about Trump: He isn't terribly concerned about being unpopular. All he truly feels the need to do is keep his base happy.

And he's doing just fine on that count.

A new poll from the Pew Research Center shows Trump's GOP base, if anything, is slightly happier than many other recent presidents' bases have been. For all the talk about how Trump's approval ratings are the lowest for a new president in modern history and all of the increasingly public hand-wringing by elected Republicans, actual GOP voters are still very much onboard the Trump train.

Fully 84 percent of Republicans and Republican-leaning independents approve of Trump right now. Of the last six presidents, only Barack Obama was in better shape with his base the month after his inauguration, with 86 percent of Democrats and Democratic-leaners. Both Bushes were at 82 percent, and Bill Clinton and Ronald Reagan were slightly under 80 percent.

Analysis | Donald Trump is doing AOK with the only people he cares about
If there is one thing our most recent election proved...it's the myth of the middle. Hillary made a play for the non-existent middle and lost the election. Trump moved far right, energized his base, and won the presidency.

By keeping his base happy, he all but ensures retained control of the Senate in 2018. We've all seen the map...

Untitled23.png

...and the House? The Dems are in such disarray, they don't know where to start. With a counties map that looks like this...

Untitled24.png

...saying the chance are slim is an understatement...

As long as Trump continues to keep his base happy, he keeps control of the Senate and the House, and he doesn't need bi-partisan support...

IOW, it's going to be a long, long four years for Democrats...

Reagan tanked for the first two years of his presidency.

By year three there was talk he would not run again.

Then things turned.

He beat the hell out of Mondale without campaigning.

as long as Trump has his bots sucking his dick at every turn he doesn't care about much of anything.

He takes a shit and they fight for the biggest spoon.

as long as Trump has his bots sucking his dick at every turn he doesn't care about much of anything.

I guess your knees get a break now that Obama is out of office.

Reagan tanked for the first two years of his presidency.

By year three there was talk he would not run again.

Then things turned.

He beat the hell out of Mondale without campaigning.
Same thing is true of Kennedy and Clinton...Kennedy [one of my favorite presidents] really only had one great year but he made it count...clinton got swamped in the 94 mid-terms and had to come on television to assure the American people he heard them and then enacted NAFTA to give the GOP it's red meat and pound of flesh, of course he was also impeached, but not really the point...a presidents first two years in office are usually filled with opposition "incoming", Trump isn't waiting for any of that though, he is firing right across their bow, it's only a matter of time before a direct hit occurs...geez I love this

your IQ needs a lift, you're a dumbass ,, I didn't vote for Obama or Hillary Clinton.

your IQ needs a lift, you're a dumbass ,, I didn't vote for Obama or Hillary Clinton.
I don't think he means ya voted for him...I did though and would do so again, proudly

Conversely, he orders red wine while dining on white fish and Obamabots claim it's the latest conspiracy showing how out of touch and unstable he is.

yeah right indeed ... just because you suck Trump doesnt mean everybody does, and it damn sure doesnt mean people who oppose Trump are Obama/Clinton fans... so grab a spoon and eat up.

Conversely, he orders red wine while dining on white fish and Obamabots claim it's the latest conspiracy showing how out of touch and unstable he is.

thats the Obamabots problem not mine.

yeah right indeed ... just because you suck Trump doesnt mean everybody does, and it damn sure doesnt mean people who oppose Trump are Obama/Clinton fans... so grab a spoon and eat up.
0-OF-DIAMONDS[1].jpg

Methinks you need to work on your quote work, skippy.

Still waiting for Hillary to be inaugurated. The Polls said she would. And they were 90% sure.

Lefty polls, 90% of the time, it fails every time.

"Some of the things I'm doing probably aren't popular, but they're necessary for security and for other reasons," Trump said.

That right there suggests all of Trump's bluster about how every negative poll is "fake news" is just that — bluster. But it also reveals something else about Trump: He isn't terribly concerned about being unpopular. All he truly feels the need to do is keep his base happy.

And he's doing just fine on that count.

A new poll from the Pew Research Center shows Trump's GOP base, if anything, is slightly happier than many other recent presidents' bases have been. For all the talk about how Trump's approval ratings are the lowest for a new president in modern history and all of the increasingly public hand-wringing by elected Republicans, actual GOP voters are still very much onboard the Trump train.

Fully 84 percent of Republicans and Republican-leaning independents approve of Trump right now. Of the last six presidents, only Barack Obama was in better shape with his base the month after his inauguration, with 86 percent of Democrats and Democratic-leaners. Both Bushes were at 82 percent, and Bill Clinton and Ronald Reagan were slightly under 80 percent.

Analysis | Donald Trump is doing AOK with the only people he cares about
If there is one thing our most recent election proved...it's the myth of the middle. Hillary made a play for the non-existent middle and lost the election. Trump moved far right, energized his base, and won the presidency.

By keeping his base happy, he all but ensures retained control of the Senate in 2018. We've all seen the map...

View attachment 112907

...and the House? The Dems are in such disarray, they don't know where to start. With a counties map that looks like this...

View attachment 112910

...saying the chance are slim is an understatement...

As long as Trump continues to keep his base happy, he keeps control of the Senate and the House, and he doesn't need bi-partisan support...

IOW, it's going to be a long, long four years for Democrats...

newman-maps-980.jpg

Your map is incredibly misleading. America is an urbanized country, so people are concentrated.

Your map is incredibly misleading. America is an urbanized country, so people are concentrated.

I knew someone would trot out that Rorschach ink blob...but the fact is that the map is not misleading at all as it pertains to the House of Representatives. California and the Northeast may have huge populations...but those populations only get to vote for representatives in California and the Northeast. The California and Northeast delegations to the House of Representatives are already majority Democrat and the House breakdown is still 238 R - 193 D. And with the Democrats moving even farther to the left, I don't expect that number to change substantially in 2018...especially if Rep Ellison gains control of the DNC Chairmanship.

FTR - That ink blob isn't terribly representative of the country in ANY election...the Electoral College constrains all votes to within the borders of ones own state.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back