Naming Your Child “Jesus”...

Vastator

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2014
In Islam its Quite Popular to name your male child Mohammed. No one gets upset. Unless of course you spell it wrong.
But in Christianity I’ve noticed something quite odd. Hispanics name their male children Jesus quite frequently. Yet... I’ve never known any white Protestant males named Jesus. So I thought to myself perhaps this is a Catholic tradition. But then I got to thinking about it... And I realized that I had never heard of a white catholic male named Jesus...
But then again I’m not sure that christianity forbids naming your child Jesus in the Bible so...
What’s the deal? Why the difference? Do some sects of Christianity deem this practice heretical, while others consider it a mark of honor? Why? Just wondering about the difference in the custom. Thanks.

I’ve never known any white Protestant males named Jesus.

Really? You're counting races and religions?

jes-s-navas-football-players-soccer--photo-1
<< Jesús Navas González -- Spanish professional footballer for English club Manchester City

jes-s-franco-writers-photo-1
<< Jesús "Jess" Franco was a Spanish film director, writer, composer, cinematographer and actor.

jesus-montero-baseball-players-photo-1
<< Jesús Montero; catcher and first baseman for the Seattle Mariners

jes-s-ochoa-people-in-film-photo-1
<< Jesús Ochoa, Mexican actor.

jesus-gonzales-u1
<< Jesús González, Mexican-American professional boxer in the Super Middleweight division

<< Jesús Navas González -- Spanish professional footballer for English club Manchester City

<< Jesús "Jess" Franco was a Spanish film director, writer, composer, cinematographer and actor.

jesus-gonzales-u1
<< Jesús González, Mexican-American professional boxer in the Super Middleweight division
So we are seeing a Spanish/Mexican trend here. I forgot about the Spaniards. Don’t know too many. Anyhow... What’s the religious take on it? Why the difference between the Hispanics/ Spaniards; and the rest of Christiandom?

jesus-gonzales-u1
So we are seeing a Spanish/Mexican trend here. I forgot about the Spaniards. Don’t know too many. Anyhow... What’s the religious take on it? Why the difference between the Hispanics/ Spaniards; and the rest of Christiandom?

Not sure. It's an interesting cultural question.

But the name Joshua is an English version, and that's certainly common in the Anglosphere.

Don't know that it matters, since the name 'Jesus' wasn't original to the Christ Jesus; there were several prominent Jews named 'Jesus', including a priest, in the decades before and during the Christ's years of ministry. The name existed and had meaning before the NT Jesus as well as after, so it's not really sacrilegious to name your kid Jesus. Joachim Jeremiah mentions two in his historical study Jerusalem in the Time of Jesus for one source, and I've seen others with the name Jesus mentioned as well.

I have no idea what the answer to the OP question is, but it is an interesting question for highlighting the influence cultures can play on religions, or the intertwining of cultural and religious beliefs.

There is always this guy:
walking-dead-jesus.jpg

:lol:

I have no idea what the answer to the OP question is, but it is an interesting question for highlighting the influence cultures can play on religions, or the intertwining of cultural and religious beliefs.

walking-dead-jesus.jpg

Who is he?

Yes, I don't know who it is, either, or even which person in the pic is being referred to.

Is it a Newhart spin off named' Larry, Darrell, and Darrell', updated to the latest Hollywood 'Diversity' standards?

From Mexico down....millions of children are named Jesus.

In Islam its Quite Popular to name your male child Mohammed. No one gets upset. Unless of course you spell it wrong.
But in Christianity I’ve noticed something quite odd. Hispanics name their male children Jesus quite frequently. Yet... I’ve never known any white Protestant males named Jesus. So I thought to myself perhaps this is a Catholic tradition. But then I got to thinking about it... And I realized that I had never heard of a white catholic male named Jesus...
But then again I’m not sure that christianity forbids naming your child Jesus in the Bible so...
What’s the deal? Why the difference? Do some sects of Christianity deem this practice heretical, while others consider it a mark of honor? Why? Just wondering about the difference in the custom. Thanks.

"Jesus" is an English translation of a Latin translation of a Greek translation of Hebrew, which may or may not have been a translation of Aramaic. The Aramaic form was Isho and the Hebrew form is Yehoshua or Yeshua. There are two English forms: Joshua and Isaiah. Both are fairly common English language names.

So the answer to your question is that you are imagining a false premise. Naming children after Jesus is a pretty common practice, at least among English speaking Christians.

walking-dead-jesus.jpg

The one with the obvious fake beard?

From Mexico down....millions of children are named Jesus.

Actually it's not very common in Brazil IIRC. Fatter o mact I've seen a ton of Brazilian names and have yet to see one named Jesus.

Last edited:

"Jesus" is an English translation of a Latin translation of a Greek translation of Hebrew, which may or may not have been a translation of Aramaic. The Aramaic form was Isho and the Hebrew form is Yehoshua or Yeshua. There are two English forms: Joshua and Isaiah. Both are fairly common English language names.

So the answer to your question is that you are imagining a false premise. Naming children after Jesus is a pretty common practice, at least among English speaking Christians.

Isaiah is a different name-----similar root----but different name

Forum List

Back