NAFTA talks on big changes to start this year, U.S. commerce secretary says

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
His mention of the digital economy is something I had hinted on in the past. Canada and Mexico gain access to a much larger market via internet, email and telephone. Basically free access to revenue sources while American businesses have much smaller markets to access.

NAFTA needs to be changed so that America; which shoulders the vast burden of Western democracy, can continue to lead the world rather than some Communist depot taking over.

I will continue to reach out to the Commerce Department to share my experiences and concerns with Canada continued violations of NAFTA. Maybe in the future Canada will be unable to violate in the same manner, if at all. I can only hope.

'There's a lot to fix': NAFTA talks to start this year, U.S. commerce secretary says

"The Mexicans know, the Canadians know, everybody knows, times are different. We are going to have new trade relations with people," Ross told a Bloomberg broadcast interview Wednesday.

"And they all know they're going to have to make concessions. The only question is what's the magnitude, and what's the form of the concessions."

Ross credited the president for tough talk that he says has prepared the other countries to make concessions: "He's made my job easier by softening up the adverse parties. What could be better than going into a trade negotiation where the fellow on the other side knows he has to make concessions?"

'There's a lot to fix'
Ross hopes to add entire new chapters to NAFTA, which currently has 22 chapters. He said the additions would reflect the modern digital economy.

"It's an old treaty. Our economy is very different from what it was when … that treaty was entered into," he said.

"There were some things in [the original] that were missed. There were things in it that were not done correctly to begin with. And a lot of things that might have been OK back then but don't work now. So there's a lot to fix … Several chapters need to be added because of the digital economy and other things that have developed subsequently."

Last edited:

Forum List

Back