NAACP issues first-ever travel advisory for a state: Missouri

KANSAS CITY, Mo. _ NAACP officials say their recent travel advisory for Missouri is the first that the civil rights group has issued for any state.

But the warning follows a recent trend of similar alerts issued by other groups for vulnerable people around the United States.

The travel advisory, circulated in June by the Missouri NAACP and recently taken up by the national organization, comes after travel alerts began appearing in recent years in light of police shootings in the U.S. and ahead of immigration legislation in Texas and Arizona.

The Missouri travel advisory is the first time an NAACP conference has ever made one state the subject of a warning about discrimination and racist attacks, a spokesman for the national organization said Tuesday.

Missouri became the first because of recent legislation making discrimination lawsuits harder to win, and in response to longtime racial disparities in traffic enforcement and a spate of incidents cited as examples of harm coming to minority residents and visitors, say state NAACP leaders.

Those incidents included racial slurs against black students at the University of Missouri and the death earlier this year of 28-year-old Tory Sanders, a black man from Tennessee who took a wrong turn while traveling and died in a southeast Missouri jail even though he hadn't been accused of a crime.

We should be free to travel where we wan in peace. But it seems that people who are not white can't do that. Today in 2017. Yet we get lectures here on how things are in the past. Or how we want to look for reasons other than racism for anything. I guess racism has nothing to do with this warning.

The 1960s all over again.

Everyone thought the losers were defeated way back then, but they've just been hiding like toadstools waiting for someone like drumpf to give them the ok to be racist out in the open again. Can you imagine in 2017 people have to be warned against traveling to a state because of its draconian racist laws.

Yeah we kept getting told by the same people doing this crap how those days were done.

Far from done. In 2009, I spent a winter in Sikeston Missouri doing a consulting job for a company based in St. Louis. While I was there, I rented a Hummer to get around in because of the snow. My first week there, I was stopped 3 times by local police. Wasnt speeding, didn't break any traffic laws. But the first time that I was stopped, I was asked (politely) by the officer "If I was from the area".

When I asked him(politely) "why does it matter?" he just handed back my ID and said "be careful". I was stopped twice more that same week for no reason. I was staying at a Drury Inn, and the front desk clerk was black.

He was nice enough to let me know that the cops were likely hoping that I would be argumentative or combative with them so they could find a reason to arrest me.

There are backward, shitpit little towns like that one all over rural America.

Yep like the ones that got Trump elected.

Just further proof that the NAACP is no longer a serious organization and should be ignored

Ignored by who? The NAACP should have done this years ago.

The NAACP is run by a bunch of shysters and charlatans whose only goal is to make money by manufacturing phony racial crises. They ceased to be a legitimate organization advocating for the betterment of blacks decades ago
The NAACP started as a Jewish organization.

No, The NAACP was started as a negro civil rights organization that had Jews as founding members.
Colored folks includes more than black peoples..

KANSAS CITY, Mo. _ NAACP officials say their recent travel advisory for Missouri is the first that the civil rights group has issued for any state.

But the warning follows a recent trend of similar alerts issued by other groups for vulnerable people around the United States.

The travel advisory, circulated in June by the Missouri NAACP and recently taken up by the national organization, comes after travel alerts began appearing in recent years in light of police shootings in the U.S. and ahead of immigration legislation in Texas and Arizona.

The Missouri travel advisory is the first time an NAACP conference has ever made one state the subject of a warning about discrimination and racist attacks, a spokesman for the national organization said Tuesday.

Missouri became the first because of recent legislation making discrimination lawsuits harder to win, and in response to longtime racial disparities in traffic enforcement and a spate of incidents cited as examples of harm coming to minority residents and visitors, say state NAACP leaders.

Those incidents included racial slurs against black students at the University of Missouri and the death earlier this year of 28-year-old Tory Sanders, a black man from Tennessee who took a wrong turn while traveling and died in a southeast Missouri jail even though he hadn't been accused of a crime.

We should be free to travel where we wan in peace. But it seems that people who are not white can't do that. Today in 2017. Yet we get lectures here on how things are in the past. Or how we want to look for reasons other than racism for anything. I guess racism has nothing to do with this warning.

The 1960s all over again.

Everyone thought the losers were defeated way back then, but they've just been hiding like toadstools waiting for someone like drumpf to give them the ok to be racist out in the open again. Can you imagine in 2017 people have to be warned against traveling to a state because of its draconian racist laws.

Yeah we kept getting told by the same people doing this crap how those days were done.

Far from done. In 2009, I spent a winter in Sikeston Missouri doing a consulting job for a company based in St. Louis. While I was there, I rented a Hummer to get around in because of the snow. My first week there, I was stopped 3 times by local police. Wasnt speeding, didn't break any traffic laws. But the first time that I was stopped, I was asked (politely) by the officer "If I was from the area".

When I asked him(politely) "why does it matter?" he just handed back my ID and said "be careful". I was stopped twice more that same week for no reason. I was staying at a Drury Inn, and the front desk clerk was black.

He was nice enough to let me know that the cops were likely hoping that I would be argumentative or combative with them so they could find a reason to arrest me.

There are backward, shitpit little towns like that one all over rural America.
My fav word describing the little towns was"country fucks"..

Sounds like the kind of legal reform we need nation-wide.

Actually we don't because most States and the feds go with the "motivating" standard already.

Missouri's "Jim Crow bill" leads NAACP to issue travel warning

Greitens calls the legislation common sense reform, and says the "motivating standard" is currently used by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. Meanwhile, the NAACP says it will continue to raise awareness through its travel advisory.

The real angry party is all the civil lawyers who now have to meet a realistic standard to prove discrimination.

Missouri, the site of the MIchael Brown travesty is back in the news. This backward state has gone to far with this one! They are reviving the Jim Crow era while finding ways to discriminate against all minorities .
Congratulations! The first state in 109 years where the NAACP issued such an advisory This one will come back to bite you in terms of lost commerce and revenue. Guaranteed!

Here's why the NAACP says Missouri is unsafe for minorities - CNN
Last week, the NAACP issued a travel advisory of its own, warning people of color that their civil rights could be violated in the state of Missouri.

The advisory, issued by the Missouri NAACP State Conference and endorsed by the national organization, is the first of its kind in the civil rights organization's 108-year history. "Individuals traveling in the state are advised to travel with extreme CAUTION," the advisory says. "Race, gender and color based crimes have a long history in Missouri."

Rod Chapel Jr., Missouri NAACP State Conference president, said Senate Bill 43 -- a new state law making it more difficult to sue for housing or employment discrimination -- coupled with a long history of civil rights violations and discrimination forced the action.

Senate Bill 43 drastically shifts the burden of proof from defendant to plaintiff in employment and other discrimination cases, Gerald Early, chair of African and African American Studies at Washington University in St. Louis, wrote last week.

And Bill 43 was just the icing on the cake . Read on and see for your self. Who can defend this crap in the 21st century?

I wonder if Texas can get an advisory as well?

mike brown sign 2.jpg

Michael Brown travesty? You mean a police officer defending his life is now a travesty? Man, you loons are something else.

Also the plaintiff needs to prove their case. Sort of,like the state having to prove guilt on a person.

That whole innocent until proven guilty is such a bitch for the left.

Missouri, the site of the MIchael Brown travesty is back in the news. This backward state has gone to far with this one! They are reviving the Jim Crow era while finding ways to discriminate against all minorities .
Congratulations! The first state in 109 years where the NAACP issued such an advisory This one will come back to bite you in terms of lost commerce and revenue. Guaranteed!

Last week, the NAACP issued a travel advisory of its own, warning people of color that their civil rights could be violated in the state of Missouri.

The advisory, issued by the Missouri NAACP State Conference and endorsed by the national organization, is the first of its kind in the civil rights organization's 108-year history. "Individuals traveling in the state are advised to travel with extreme CAUTION," the advisory says. "Race, gender and color based crimes have a long history in Missouri."

Rod Chapel Jr., Missouri NAACP State Conference president, said Senate Bill 43 -- a new state law making it more difficult to sue for housing or employment discrimination -- coupled with a long history of civil rights violations and discrimination forced the action.

Senate Bill 43 drastically shifts the burden of proof from defendant to plaintiff in employment and other discrimination cases, Gerald Early, chair of African and African American Studies at Washington University in St. Louis, wrote last week.

And Bill 43 was just the icing on the cake . Read on and see for your self. Who can defend this crap in the 21st century?

On one of the Fox shows they asked the question.....where is the travel advisory from the NAACP about blacks who go to Chicago...since they might actually be murdered there...by other blacks?

On one of the Fox shows they asked the question.....where is the travel advisory from the NAACP about blacks who go to Chicago...since they might actually be murdered there...by other blacks?

Chicago doesn't discriminate, they will kill any black, so the left and NAACP likes that.

It's buried so deep under the lying lefts hypocrisy it may never be found.

Michael Brown travesty? You mean a police officer defending his life is now a travesty? Man, you loons are something else.

Also the plaintiff needs to prove their case. Sort of,like the state having to prove guilt on a person.

That would be the criminal standard. In a lawsuit it is supposed to be a proponderance of the evidence. The burden of proof is about who has the greater responsibility to achieve that proponderance.

I immediately stopped reading once I got to the "Michael Brown travesty" in the first sentence. lol

I stay on 1-70 when going through Missouri and generally don't stop unless it's in KC or St. Louis.. Cape Girardeau, that's interesting because that's where most of these guys messiah is from. Fat Daddy Limbaugh.
I'm sure the ghetto towns welcome you.

That would be the criminal standard. In a lawsuit it is supposed to be a proponderance of the evidence. The burden of proof is about who has the greater responsibility to achieve that proponderance.

Yet the plaintiff should have to prove preponderance of the evidence. The burden of proof should be on the plaintiff not the defendant.

Missouri, the site of the MIchael Brown travesty is back in the news.

Travesty? He attacked a cop. He died.
Sometimes stupidity is fatal.

Another thread that proves not all black lives matter, just certain black lives matter.

Forum List

Back