NAACP issues first-ever travel advisory for a state: Missouri

IM2

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 11, 2015
KANSAS CITY, Mo. _ NAACP officials say their recent travel advisory for Missouri is the first that the civil rights group has issued for any state.

But the warning follows a recent trend of similar alerts issued by other groups for vulnerable people around the United States.

The travel advisory, circulated in June by the Missouri NAACP and recently taken up by the national organization, comes after travel alerts began appearing in recent years in light of police shootings in the U.S. and ahead of immigration legislation in Texas and Arizona.

The Missouri travel advisory is the first time an NAACP conference has ever made one state the subject of a warning about discrimination and racist attacks, a spokesman for the national organization said Tuesday.

Missouri became the first because of recent legislation making discrimination lawsuits harder to win, and in response to longtime racial disparities in traffic enforcement and a spate of incidents cited as examples of harm coming to minority residents and visitors, say state NAACP leaders.

Those incidents included racial slurs against black students at the University of Missouri and the death earlier this year of 28-year-old Tory Sanders, a black man from Tennessee who took a wrong turn while traveling and died in a southeast Missouri jail even though he hadn't been accused of a crime.

We should be free to travel where we wan in peace. But it seems that people who are not white can't do that. Today in 2017. Yet we get lectures here on how things are in the past. Or how we want to look for reasons other than racism for anything. I guess racism has nothing to do with this warning.

Last edited:
Why are they upset about Tory Sanders?

A mentally ill man went to police for help hours before a fatal interaction with officers in a Mississippi County jail cell, his family says.

Tory Sanders, 28, was suffering from depression when he left his home in Nashville and started driving to "clear his head," his aunt, Natasha Nance, tells the Riverfront Times.

When the father of eight ran out of gas in or near the small southeast Missouri town of Charleston, the county seat of Mississippi County, he called his mom and asked what he should do.

"If I go to the police, will they help me?" he asked, according to his aunt.

"Sure, they'll help you," his mother replied. They could at least point him to a bus station so he could get home, she told her son.

The family now says that was a deadly mistake. Mississippi County Sheriff Cory Hutcheson claims that Charleston police brought Sanders to the county jail, where he eventually became "combative" and hurt six officers so badly they had to be hospitalized.

'They're Trying to Kill Me,' Tory Sanders Told Mother Before Fatal Collapse in Rural Missouri Jail

Anyone see anything wrong with this story?

He's mentally ill.
Instead of doing something to treat the problem, he goes out and drives (why is a mentally ill man driving?).
He has 8 children!
He's stupid enough to run out of gas when not even going anywhere in particular. Gee, I guess it wasn't such a good idea to give this retard a car!
His first thought after he ran out of gas was to call the cops. Instead of doing something that makes sense, like calling roadside assistance or walking to a gas station.
His mother, who is apparently just as stupid, tells him to go to the cops, too!
And apparently it hasn't occurred to them that they need to deal with the car. I guess it's OK to just abandon it in Missouri!

He apparently attacked 6 cops and they were supposedly restrained enough to not send him straight to hell before he so much as laid a hand on the first one.

Does NAACP warn against the dangers of driving while mentally ill? The foolishness of having 8 kids when you can't even figure out how to buy gas? The irresponsibility of wasting the cops' time and abandoning a car? The stupidity of attacking 6 armed men without a small army and/or weapons? NO! They blame WHITEY!

Is it any surprise the black community is fucked up? The road to getting better starts with identifying a problem and taking responsibility.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. _ NAACP officials say their recent travel advisory for Missouri is the first that the civil rights group has issued for any state.

But the warning follows a recent trend of similar alerts issued by other groups for vulnerable people around the United States.

The travel advisory, circulated in June by the Missouri NAACP and recently taken up by the national organization, comes after travel alerts began appearing in recent years in light of police shootings in the U.S. and ahead of immigration legislation in Texas and Arizona.

The Missouri travel advisory is the first time an NAACP conference has ever made one state the subject of a warning about discrimination and racist attacks, a spokesman for the national organization said Tuesday.

Missouri became the first because of recent legislation making discrimination lawsuits harder to win, and in response to longtime racial disparities in traffic enforcement and a spate of incidents cited as examples of harm coming to minority residents and visitors, say state NAACP leaders.

Those incidents included racial slurs against black students at the University of Missouri and the death earlier this year of 28-year-old Tory Sanders, a black man from Tennessee who took a wrong turn while traveling and died in a southeast Missouri jail even though he hadn't been accused of a crime.

We should be free to travel where we wan in peace. But it seems that people who are not white can't do that. Today in 2017. Yet we get lectures here on how things are in the past. Or how we want to look for reasons other than racism for anything. I guess racism has nothing to do with this warning.

I'm surprised it's taken this long. Ive traveled across Missouri quite a few times, and there are some redneck, "Sundown Town"garbage dumps there like Sikeston and Cape Girardeau that are reminiscent of Mississippi and Alabama in the 1960's.

A mentally ill man went to police for help hours before a fatal interaction with officers in a Mississippi County jail cell, his family says.

Tory Sanders, 28, was suffering from depression when he left his home in Nashville and started driving to "clear his head," his aunt, Natasha Nance, tells the Riverfront Times.

When the father of eight ran out of gas in or near the small southeast Missouri town of Charleston, the county seat of Mississippi County, he called his mom and asked what he should do.

"Sure, they'll help you," his mother replied. They could at least point him to a bus station so he could get home, she told her son.

The family now says that was a deadly mistake. Mississippi County Sheriff Cory Hutcheson claims that Charleston police brought Sanders to the county jail, where he eventually became "combative" and hurt six officers so badly they had to be hospitalized.

'They're Trying to Kill Me,' Tory Sanders Told Mother Before Fatal Collapse in Rural Missouri Jail

He's mentally ill.
Instead of doing something to treat the problem, he goes out and drives (why is a mentally ill man driving?).
He has 8 children!
He's stupid enough to run out of gas when not even going anywhere in particular. Gee, I guess it wasn't such a good idea to give this retard a car!
His first thought after he ran out of gas was to call the cops. Instead of doing something that makes sense, like calling roadside assistance or walking to a gas station.
And apparently it hasn't occurred to them that they need to deal with the car. I guess it's OK to just abandon it in Missouri!

He apparently attacked 6 cops and they were supposedly restrained enough to not send him straight to hell before he so much as laid a hand on the first one.

Does NAACP warn against the dangers of driving while mentally ill? The foolishness of having 8 kids when you can't even figure out how to buy gas? The irresponsibility of wasting the cops' time and abandoning a car? The stupidity of attacking 6 armed men without a small army and/or weapons? NO! They blame WHITEY!

Is it any surprise the black community is fucked up? The road to getting better starts with identifying a problem and taking responsibility.
Wow, you really have your mind made up, don't you?

Your link has added more info:

A mentally ill man who died after a clash with staff at a Missouri jail had been shocked with a Taser at least three times and pepper sprayed when he refused to leave his cell, state Attorney General Josh Hawley says.

Tory Sanders, 28, of Nashville collapsed on Friday evening in the Mississippi County Detention Center and was pronounced dead less than an hour later at a nearby hospital, authorities say.

Hawley had previously charged the man responsible for the jail, Mississippi County Sheriff Cory Hutcheson, with eighteen criminal counts in two unrelated cases. The sheriff is also a defendant in four federal civil lawsuits, including one that involves the 2015 death of an inmate and another in which he is accused of letting a pregnant inmate languish for so long without access to medical care that her baby was stillborn in 2014.

In a statement on Thursday, the ACLU says the latest allegations against the sheriff "show a pattern of cruelty, depravity and the innocent deaths of those he is supposed to protect."

Tory Sanders Was Tasered at Least Three Times Before Fatal Collapse, AG Says

Hutcheson was the subject of an RFT cover story last month. He was arrested April 5 on eighteen criminal charges — nine of them felonies — as a result of two separate cases. Missouri Attorney General Josh Hawley alleges the sheriff roughed up a 77-year-old hairdresser in the Bootheel town of East Prairie during a dispute over his sister-in-law's paycheck, and then tried to frame the elderly woman for kidnapping and assault.

Young Mom Died in Mississippi County Cell While Jailers Laughed at Her, Suit Says

somer_nunnallyfbsized.jpg

-------------------

So quick to assume the black guy got what he deserved. Your kind does that a lot, don't they?

He's mentally ill.
He has 8 children!

Wow, you really have your mind made up, don't you?

Your link has added more info:

A mentally ill man who died after a clash with staff at a Missouri jail had been shocked with a Taser at least three times and pepper sprayed when he refused to leave his cell, state Attorney General Josh Hawley says.
That's what happens when you don't follow orders while in custody. I guess they tried at least 4 times to get him out of the cell with less lethal options. As I said, my biggest concern is NAACP's failure to pin any blame on the retard. I based my conclusions on what happened BEFORE he was taken into custody and from my brief review of the article that info does not appear to be controversial.
Tory Sanders, 28, of Nashville collapsed on Friday evening in the Mississippi County Detention Center and was pronounced dead less than an hour later at a nearby hospital, authorities say.

Hawley had previously charged the man responsible for the jail, Mississippi County Sheriff Cory Hutcheson, with eighteen criminal counts in two unrelated cases. The sheriff is also a defendant in four federal civil lawsuits, including one that involves the 2015 death of an inmate and another in which he is accused of letting a pregnant inmate languish for so long without access to medical care that her baby was stillborn in 2014.

In a statement on Thursday, the ACLU says the latest allegations against the sheriff "show a pattern of cruelty, depravity and the innocent deaths of those he is supposed to protect."

Tory Sanders Was Tasered at Least Three Times Before Fatal Collapse, AG Says

Hutcheson was the subject of an RFT cover story last month. He was arrested April 5 on eighteen criminal charges — nine of them felonies — as a result of two separate cases. Missouri Attorney General Josh Hawley alleges the sheriff roughed up a 77-year-old hairdresser in the Bootheel town of East Prairie during a dispute over his sister-in-law's paycheck, and then tried to frame the elderly woman for kidnapping and assault.

Young Mom Died in Mississippi County Cell While Jailers Laughed at Her, Suit Says

somer_nunnallyfbsized.jpg

-------------------

So quick to assume the black guy got what he deserved. Your kind does that a lot, don't they?
Looks like "Young Mom" did it to herself.

I'm surprised it's taken this long. Ive traveled across Missouri quite a few times, and there are some redneck, "Sundown Town"garbage dumps there like Sikeston and Cape Girardeau that are reminiscent of Mississippi and Alabama in the 1960's.

I stay on 1-70 when going through Missouri and generally don't stop unless it's in KC or St. Louis.. Cape Girardeau, that's interesting because that's where most of these guys messiah is from. Fat Daddy Limbaugh.

So see we have 2 un-American communists here that don't want everyone to have freedom and rights.

The 1960s all over again.

Everyone thought the losers were defeated way back then, but they've just been hiding like toadstools waiting for someone like drumpf to give them the ok to be racist out in the open again. Can you imagine in 2017 people have to be warned against traveling to a state because of its draconian racist laws.

Just further proof that the NAACP is no longer a serious organization and should be ignored

Everyone thought the losers were defeated way back then, but they've just been hiding like toadstools waiting for someone like drumpf to give them the ok to be racist out in the open again. Can you imagine in 2017 people have to be warned against traveling to a state because of its draconian racist laws.

Yeah we kept getting told by the same people doing this crap how those days were done.

Just further proof that the NAACP is no longer a serious organization and should be ignored

Ignored by who? The NAACP should have done this years ago.

The NAACP is run by a bunch of shysters and charlatans whose only goal is to make money by manufacturing phony racial crises. They ceased to be a legitimate organization advocating for the betterment of blacks decades ago

The NAACP is run by a bunch of shysters and charlatans whose only goal is to make money by manufacturing phony racial crises. They ceased to be a legitimate organization advocating for the betterment of blacks decades ago

And what episode of the O'Rielly Factor did you hear that one on?

The NAACP started as a Jewish organization.

Funny, usually the right wing feels blacks should be enslaved, not ignored.
When I moved to SW Mizzouri in 2001 they would arrest blacks and hold them in jail until they agreed to leave the area...The blacks should have seen how they treated the hispanic illegals...It was like a shakedown..

Yeah we kept getting told by the same people doing this crap how those days were done.

Far from done. In 2009, I spent a winter in Sikeston Missouri doing a consulting job for a company based in St. Louis. While I was there, I rented a Hummer to get around in because of the snow. My first week there, I was stopped 3 times by local police. Wasnt speeding, didn't break any traffic laws. But the first time that I was stopped, I was asked (politely) by the officer "If I was from the area".

When I asked him(politely) "why does it matter?" he just handed back my ID and said "be careful". I was stopped twice more that same week for no reason. I was staying at a Drury Inn, and the front desk clerk was black.

He was nice enough to let me know that the cops were likely hoping that I would be argumentative or combative with them so they could find a reason to arrest me.

There are backward, shitpit little towns like that one all over rural America.

Last edited:

The NAACP started as a Jewish organization.

No, The NAACP was started as a negro civil rights organization that had Jews as founding members.

Forum List

Back