N. Korea Aims for Hawaii?

Navy1960

Sep 4, 2008
Arizona
Japanese intelligence officials have warned that North Korea is preparing to fire a long-range ballistic missile at Hawaii.
The weapon, believed to be a Taepodong-2 with a range of up to 4,000 miles, would be launched from the Dongchang-ni site on the north-western coast.
However, intelligence analysts do not believe the missile would be capable of hitting Hawaii's main islands. The archipelago is at the very limit of its range.
North Korea 'plan missile launch towards Hawaii on Independence Day' | Mail Online

The United States can do nothing to stop North Korea from breaking international law in the next 10 days by firing a missile that is unlikely to be shot down by the U.S. or its allies, Defense Secretary Robert Gates said Sunday.

Appearing on "FOX News Sunday," Gates said North Korea "probably will" fire the missile, prompting host Chris Wallace to ask: "And there's nothing we can do about it?"

"No," Gates answered, adding, "I would say we're not prepared to do anything about it."

Last week, Admiral Timothy Keating, commander of U.S. forces in the Pacific, said the U.S. is "fully prepared" to shoot down the missile. But Gates said such a response is unlikely.

Gates: U.S. Not Prepared to Respond to North Korea Missile Launch - First 100 Days of Presidency - Politics FOXNews.com

I have many comments about this one, and I'm sure those on the board do as well. The first thing that comes to mind is , to send a clear message to N. Korea and shoot it down. However, given our recent tepid response to events in Iran it's fairly clear that the new Administration is in the "lets not make anyone mad" mode.

Our resonse so far;

"We are more than willing to engage in negotiations to get North Korea on a path of peaceful coexistence with its neighbors, and we want to encourage their prosperity," Obama said in the Rose Garden alongside South Korean President Lee Myung-bak. "But belligerent, provocative behavior that threatens neighbors will be met with significant and serious enforcement of sanctions that are in place."
Barack Obama
The Associated Press: Obama labels nuclear-armed NKorea 'grave threat'

The Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense System is a United States Department of Defense Missile Defense Agency program developed to provide a last line of defense against ballistic missiles. Aegis BMD (also known as Sea-Based Midcourse) is designed to intercept ballistic missiles post-boost phase and prior to reentry. It builds upon the Aegis Weapon System with the AN/SPY-1 radar and Standard missile technologies. Aegis BMD equipped vessels can transmit their target detection information to the Ground-Based Midcourse Defense system, and if needed engage potential threats using the SM-3 missile.

Codename: Stellar KIJI) On 17 December 2007, the JDS Kongō successfully intercepted a ballistic missile with SM-3 Block IA and Aegis System. The target was launched from Pacific Missile Range Facility. This was the first time a Japanese ship was selected to launch the interceptor missile. In previous tests Japanese ships provided tracking and communications.[11]

[edit] Stellar Daggers
March 26, 2009 USS Benfold simulataneously engaged a SRBM in terminal phase and a Cruise missile using SM-2's.
Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

from msnbc it said Hawaii was 4500 miles away so it wouldn't even get close. also they're years away from being able to land a missile attack on the US

Paper: N. Korea may fire missile toward Hawaii - North Korea- msnbc.com

"President Barack Obama and South Korean President Lee Myung-bak met in Washington on Tuesday for a landmark summit in which they agreed to build a regional and global "strategic alliance" to persuade North Korea to dismantle all its nuclear weapons."

My worry is this strategic alliance with SK. What is in this agreement? I don't want to support SK for the next 50 years.

We should point a missle that will reach N. Korean leaders home, and simply state ready when you are. See what they will do. My guess the leader over there is too cowardly to die.

The Taep'o-dong-2 (TD-2) which was first imaged in its two stage mock-up form during February 1994 was said to be a two or three stage missile with a range estimated at approximately 3,650-3,750 km with a 700-1,000 (650-1,100) kilograms payload. Other sources credit the TD-2/NKSL-X-2** with a range in excess of 4,000-4,300 km. North Korea has given various names to the Taep'o-dong missile, such as No-dong-3, Hwasong (Mars)-2 and Moksong (Jupiter)-2. Over time, the estimated range has grown substantially. It was initially estimated to have a range of 4,000 km, but is currently (2003) estimated to have a range of up to 15,000 km. The throw weight is variously estimated as between 250 kilograms to 1,100 kg, depending on the range. There were no flight test of this missile until July 4/5, 2006 reported although versions of this missile have been observed during ground testing in North Korea . As with many other such activities in North Korea, apparently much of the work on North Korea missiles is done underground. This is also reportedly the case in Iran. According to Kim Kil Son, who prior to defection to south Korea in August 1997 worked in a publications department of North Korea ’s Number 2 Research Center, development of this missile started in 1987 after Kim Jong II gave on the spot guidance to the Number 2 Research Center saying that "If we can develop this we have nothing to fear. Even the American Bastards won't be able to bother us. Whether we live or die, we must quickly develop the Hwasong-6."
Taep'o-dong 2 (TD-2) - North Korea

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — North Korea may fire a long-range ballistic missile toward Hawaii in early July, a Japanese news report said Thursday, as Russia and China urged the regime to return to international disarmament talks on its rogue nuclear program.

The missile, believed to be a Taepodong-2 with a range of up to 4,000 miles (6,500 kilometers), would be launched from North Korea's Dongchang-ni site on the northwestern coast, said the Yomiuri daily, Japan's top-selling newspaper. It cited an analysis by the Japanese Defense Ministry and intelligence gathered by U.S. reconnaissance satellites.

The missile launch could come between July 4 and 8, the paper said.

While the newspaper speculated the Taepodong-2 could fly over Japan and toward Hawaii, it said the missile would not be able to hit Hawaii's main islands, which are about 4,500 miles (7,200 kilometers) from the Korean peninsula.
The Associated Press: North Korea may fire a missile toward Hawaii

Thats the reason I used a quetion mark, and also said AIM, if you bothered to read it, it said that the Missile would not be able to hit Hawaii. However, the fact that N. Korea intends to test fire this Missile in the direction of Hawaii which , last time I checked was part of the United States is an agressive act. Even the most ardent liberal mind can concede that point. So then, what is the proper response? to simply tell N. Korea, don't do that again? and join the community of nations or else? Thats worked well in the past don't you think? Or perhaps show our resolve this time and shoot it down.

Can they shoot it down before the launch?

On 24 February 2005, the Missile Defense Agency, testing the Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense System, successfully intercepted a mock enemy missile. This was the first test of an operationally configured RIM-161 Standard missile 3 (SM-3) interceptor and the fifth successful test intercept using this system. On 10 November 2005, the USS Lake Erie detected, tracked, and destroyed a mock two-stage ballistic missile within two minutes of the ballistic missile launch

Hope this helps RodISHI, usually these Missiles are intercepted in flight. I don't think it would be all that smart of an idea to just destroy the Missile site as it is most likely on North Korean territory and can be seen as an act of war. However once in flight depending on where the North Koreans aim the Missile and in this case the United States, I submit we have every right to shoot it down.

Can they shoot it down before the launch?

On 24 February 2005, the Missile Defense Agency, testing the Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense System, successfully intercepted a mock enemy missile. This was the first test of an operationally configured RIM-161 Standard missile 3 (SM-3) interceptor and the fifth successful test intercept using this system. On 10 November 2005, the USS Lake Erie detected, tracked, and destroyed a mock two-stage ballistic missile within two minutes of the ballistic missile launch

Hope this helps RodISHI, usually these Missiles are intercepted in flight. I don't think it would be all that smart of an idea to just destroy the Missile site as it is most likely on North Korean territory and can be seen as an act of war. However once in flight depending on where the North Koreans aim the Missile and in this case the United States, I submit we have every right to shoot it down.

Does one know how many of these missiles they have? If one is shot toward us is that not an act of war? And if so could not we shoot the rest before they are launched?

If we start this strategic treaty, it would probably include japan in some way. if they fire the missile over japan that could be construed as an act of war and could induce more than just shooting it down or firing back. I'm against escalation to the point where we need to send ground troops back to NK because we're already fighting a war. I think NK is using its military to gain more respect internationally knowing that the US doesn't want to spend money. The only sources the cite are the Japanese defense ministry and us recon planes, not exactly what i would call clear evidence especially when the JDM won't comment.

my point being that the fact the missile pointed at hawaii is irrelevent. the missile cannot hit the island. We all know lil kim is into theatrics. I think this is just a way to get people upset enough to want whatever the POTUS wants to do.

Do you guys remember the last time we made a military decision based on foreign intelligence?

Forum List

Back