N.J. Gov Freezes Spending; Dems Furious

Xenophon

Gone and forgotten
Nov 27, 2008
In your head
New Jersey Gov. Christie Freezes Spending - wcbstv.com

Calling New Jersey's budget a "shambles," Gov. Chris Christie announced Thursday he is immediately freezing all state spending.

Saying New Jersey is on the verge of bankruptcy, Christie declared a fiscal emergency, announcing drastic cuts. Among them, aid to school districts that have excess surpluses.

The move had Democrats in an uproar, angry the governor used his executive powers instead of working with the Legislature

Change is in the wind, finally.

The lunatic spenders are getting chopped one by one.

What is an "excess surplus"??

We might just be seeing some Republicans who have the balls to tackle out of control government spending. And writing their tickets to national election victory in the next 4 years.

Excellent moves, and in a state owned by unions, glad to see there are Republicans with a pair. Our new gov in Virginia has yet to show that he does.

Libs passed a millionaires tax in 2004 and millionaires stopped moving into NJ. I am CrusadersFrank's shock and amazement that Democrats really are that fucking retarded

The move had Democrats in an uproar, angry the governor used his executive powers instead of working with the Legislature
LOL, this is so typical, the adult comes in and does the responsible thing and the children are upset because they don't like the way he did it.

Good job Governor Christie! :clap2:

LOL, this is so typical, the adult comes in and does the responsible thing and the children are upset because they don't like the way he did it.

Good job Governor Christie! :clap2:

lol, good analogy, that's exactly what it's like.:clap2:

Good for Mr. Christie:clap2:

Now I anxiously await the spin about the plethora of victims this disciplined action creates.:lol:

New Jersey Gov. Christie Freezes Spending- wcbstv.com

Calling New Jersey's budget a "shambles," Gov. Chris Christie announced Thursday he is immediately freezing all state spending.

Saying New Jersey is on the verge of bankruptcy, Christie declared a fiscal emergency, announcing drastic cuts. Among them, aid to school districts that have excess surpluses.

Change is in the wind, finally.

The lunatic spenders are getting chopped one by one.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: 'Bout time someone somewhere puts a plug in it. Is this what they mean when they say the Repubs are the 'party of no'? Excellent.

Not so fast my friends. Gov. Granholm is in the process of cutting our sales tax from 6 to 5.5%. Problem is, she wants to tax services, so it is a net $1.5b. increase. She told us Michiganders we would be blown away by her sceond term economic plans. Lt. Gov. Cherry needs to step up and have her declared incompetent to hold office.

Not so fast my friends. Gov. Granholm is in the process of cutting our sales tax from 6 to 5.5%. Problem is, she wants to tax services, so it is a net $1.5b. increase. She told us Michiganders we would be blown away by her sceond term economic plans. Lt. Gov. Cherry needs to step up and have her declared incompetent to hold office.

Jennifer Granholm is an economic illiterate if you Michiganders had any sense you'd vote to recall her before she completes the job of completely destroying what's left of the economy in your state.

P.S. I just loved it when Steve Wynn gave her an @ss kicking on national television, I've never seen a governors head spin so fast. :lol:

Jennifer Granholm is an economic illiterate if you Michiganders had any sense you'd vote to recall her before she completes the job of completely destroying what's left of the economy in your state.

P.S. I just loved it when Steve Wynn gave her an @ss kicking on national television, I've never seen a governors head spin so fast. :lol:

She's from Canada, we consider her a terrorist. Homeland Security is welcome to pick her up any time.

MI is a textbook example of what not to do. Every program they have tried has been a failure. They raise taxes to close the deficit. And have higher deficits. They spend money to attract jobs. And get fewer jobs.
And yet she is an advisor to Obama. Look at MI if you want to see where Obama is headed.

Christie said he's prepared to be a one termer. He's not out to make friends nor campaign for a second term. He's got cajones and that's what our state needs. Desperate times...

Christie said he's prepared to be a one termer. He's not out to make friends nor campaign for a second term. He's got cajones and that's what our state needs. Desperate times...

I hope so... I used to live on Staten Island and did most of my shopping in NJ due to friendly tax policies... gas $.40 cheaper and sales taxes were non-existent. Not so much any more I hear.

I like Jersey.. I hope they get it together.

Freezing spending. I suppose its better than nothing, but I sincerely hope he manages to actually cut some of it.

Before Christie is hailed as a hero by the conservative right, he is doing what every other NJ Governor has done in tough economic times.........trickle down costs from the state to the local communities.
His cuts to state subsidies (which are paid by the taxpayers) will have to be picked up by the local taxpayer. Christie claims he cut expenses for state but it was picked up by local tax increases

Before Christie is hailed as a hero by the conservative right, he is doing what every other NJ Governor has done in tough economic times.........trickle down costs from the state to the local communities.
His cuts to state subsidies (which are paid by the taxpayers) will have to be picked up by the local taxpayer. Christie claims he cut expenses for state but it was picked up by local tax increases

This is also known as "top down" fiscal discipline.... the alternative would be to wait for local governments to cut expenses before cutting outlays to local governments at the state level, in other words "bottom up" which doesn't work as long as the money faucet at the state level remains wide open.

This is also known as "top down" fiscal discipline.... the alternative would be to wait for local governments to cut expenses before cutting outlays to local governments at the state level, in other words "bottom up" which doesn't work as long as the money faucet at the state level remains wide open.

Local budgets are prepared based on expected state revenue. When the state reneges on its obligation, the local municipality has no choice but to raise taxes. It would be nice to cut school expenses, but once again the state is mandating programs and then holding back funding

Forum List

Back