Death penalty debate is revived in N.J.

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by chanel, Apr 3, 2011.

1. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    Death penalty debate is revived in N.J. | NJ.com

I was always on the fence about the death penalty until the murder of Megan Kanka. (Megan's Law). That monster deserved to die.

Congressman Dick Zimmer stated, "I believe he is exactly the kind of predator that the legislature had in mind when it enacted the death penalty." The court sentenced Timmendequas to death, and the sentence was upheld by the New Jersey Supreme Court on appeal.[4] Timmendequas remained on New Jersey's Death Row until December 17, 2007, when the New Jersey Legislature abolished the state's death penalty. This ban resulted in Timmendequas's sentence being commuted to life in prison without the possibility of parole.[5][6]

Comments?

2. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,676
    I'm against the Death Penalty. Not because of any legal issue, but because I'm pro life as well. I can't square being Pro-Life AND Pro Death Penalty.

But as a result, I'm NOT against Life in Prison or Chemical Castration (or actual castration) Jail doesn't have to be expensive. Inmates should get a Jail Cell, a Bed or a Cot, three square meals a day, no exercise equipment, TV's only in group areas and so forth. If we were so inclined, we could (as a nation) house a prisoner for half of what we spend now, easily.

Besides it's jail, it's supposed to suck!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  3. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,280
    NJ is not going to put anyone to death regardless of the circumstances. Why go through the expense of a capital murder trial and all the appeals if the case will eventually be thrown out anyway?

Try it as life without parole and be done with it

4. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    I support the use of the Death Penalty.... within very specific guidelines. For example, I don't think we should be executing those who are mentally impaired without very significant reason. I do think we should execute those who kill police officers (because they put their lives on the line for us, so I believe we owe them the respect to provide a very harsh sentence to anyone who kills one of theirs), anyone who murders a child, serial killers, and the like. I do not think we should apply the DP as a matter of course, it should be the ultimate punishment for the ultimate crimes.

5. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    That's what this law covers CG and I believe it will also close many of the loopholes that prevented its implementation pre 2007. Frankly I don't see it passing because the whole country is moving away from it, but I'm with you.

6. rightwinger

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,280
    Personally, I would just as soon the Government stay out of the sanctioned killing business.

Life without parole.....let them rot

7. Rogo

Rogo Choose to choose

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20
    The death penalty has always seemed so primitive to me.

The bill won't pass anyways.

8. George Costanza

George Costanza A Friendly Liberal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    You just said it all.

9. martybegan

martybegan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,907
    The problem with life without parole is you end up with a 80 year old prisoner, that costs you tons of money just to provide basic medical care to. You also start getting bleeding heart types doing thier 2 min news story on this old frail man, wondering why he is still in prison, forgetting he slaughtered 5 people in drug fueled frenzy when he was 23.

The death penalty is no picnic either, usually taking 15 years or so to implement, but when you sentance some 25 year old to life without parole, sooner or later he turns into an old man, one you havr to take care of on the taxpayer's dime.

10. rightwinger

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,280
    Death penalty you get to pay to keep him on death row for fifteen years while he files appeal after appeal

I still don't like the govermment as sanctioned killers whether they deserve it or not

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011