My Stoner Pilgrimage

CrimsonWhite

*****istrator Emeritus
Mar 13, 2006
Guntucky
Being a soldier by trade for much of my adult life, I became very well versed with specific tools of my trade. The M4, M9, and M249 just to name a few. I could field strip, clean, reassemble, and function check my M4 in under a minute.....blindfolded. I owned Expert Marksman Qualification Badges in rifle and pistol. I can shoot. I have owned several "black rifles" in my civilian life, but until recently, I had never built won from the ground up. I thought I was an expert on M4's. Turns out that I was merely an expert on the trigger.

I began my pilgrimage by getting out an armorer's guide that I had picked up at Fort Benning and had never opened. I read it from cover to cover and set out to build the rifle that I wish I had been issued. Well, without buying a class 3 tax stamp.

Knowing that the trigger, barrel, and BCG would make or break the build, I took great in selecting these parts. I bought a Bravo company BCM. I found a dealer that had Sabre Defense barrels clearance. I chose a 14.5 inch 1 in 7 twist carbine barrel. Then I got brave and decided I was going to do the trigger myself. I bought a lower kit from CMMG, then bought a matched DPMS stripped upper and lower set from my local gun shop. I had a Wilson Combat upper parts kit in my toolbox that I had intended to install in a RRA that I had, so I got started.

I polished every point of contact on the trigger and hammer, cut coils out springs, then bought new springs and tried again. My final trigger weighs in at 2.98 lbs. It has a little slick creep, on the front end and then breaks like glass. I'm proud of my first "trigger job" but will never do it again.

Eugene Stoner was a genius. He literally designed an erector set for adults in the AR platform. My final Product:

DPMS upper and lower
Custom trigger
14.5 inch barrel with extended A2 flashhider
Yankee Hill Midlenth Quadrail over Veriforce Tactical low pro gas block
Magpul CTR stock, MOE grip
MBUS pop up sights

photo1.jpg

Target at a hundred yards. Not the tightest, but the fat kids still got it. Not bad for my first build.

photo2.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like a nice setup. Just make sure that the flash hider is permanently attached to your barrel. Otherwise you have to register it as a SBR.

Its pinned in. It is legal by a hundredth of an inch.

That's all that matters! This is the one I built the most recently. I have built around 260 over the years for friends and law enforcement agencies.

Attachments

• $006.JPG
    $006.JPG
    599.8 KB · Views: 123

Forum List

Back