My Nephew, Jay

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Many of you know and have written mucho encouragements to me about my nephew, Jay, who was diagnosed with a brain tumor a few weeks before his wedding. He's my brother's only son and my godchild.

He graduated summa cum laude from the university with a degree in law enforcement. He was offered a position with the FBI, but wanted to be a 'regular' police officer, like his father. He landed a job about 6 months later, but unbeknownst to any of us, he was already feeling the effects of the tumor, but didn't say anything. He 'resigned' a week out of the academy. He had a good job that he'd been working with while applying for police departments, TRW identity theft profiling. I was with my brother when he found out about the tumor, the day after my dad's funeral. Needless to say, it was shock after shock.

Anyhow, Sunday is a walk for brain tumor research. If anyone has a few sheckles to donate, it would be highly appreciated:

4th Annual Stride to Save Lives - Home

His team is J's Crew, already in 1st place, but with less that $4k. Here's his letter to friends and family:

As you all are aware, it has been a year packed with both excitement and sadess. Angela and I had our wonderful wedding together where we got to share our love and commit our faith for the rest of our lives, but of course that event did not come along as easily as we hoped it would.

I started to feel symptoms of pain in my right hand that I thought came from nerve damage from a very bad ice fall in about January 2007. Several months later, I started to have trouble walking on my right foot. In August 2007, I finally told Angela and my loved ones that I believed I was losing vision in my right peripheral. That was when I scheduled my first appointment with my doctor and got a CT scan. The next day he immediately called me and told me the life altering news that I had a brain tumor. There was no time to waste, no time to think about the future because I had my surgery on September 6, 2007. Luckily, other than a couple permanent scars and some recoverable speech problems, everything went well and I was able to get out of the hospital quickly enough to make it to my wedding on September 22, 2007.

For my quick recovery from surgery, I must thank my wonderful Neurosurgeons and rehabilitation therapists, but I must also thank the people involved with Neuroresearch. The Chicago Institute of Neurosurgery and Neuroresearch, of CINN, is dedicated to making a difference in the lives of people afflicted with brain tumors. The CINN foundation is involved with neurological research, education and community outreach.

The CINN Foundation is hosting its 4th Annual Stride to Save Lives two-mile walk for brain tumor reseach on Sunday, June 8, 2008. Angela and I have decided to join the Stride to Save Lives and have formed our own team. We want every individual that has to deal with this hardship to have the best research available. To see our website go to 4th Annual Stride to Save Lives - Home and click on Sponsor Participant and type in Jay Doherty.

That is what brings me to my point of writing this letter. We are asking for a donation for the Stride to Save Lives of any amount you can give. Brain tumors affect about 16,000 people a year and last year I was one of those few. If it weren't for the Neurosurgeons and the Neuroresearch, I don't know where I'd be. So, if you can donate, please help others like people helped me.

Thank you for your generous donation and support!

Jay & Angela Doherty

Credit taken at site. Make checks payable to:

The CINN Foundation

I will be at the walk as well. A friend of mine has a very young daughter suffering from a tumor as well. It is a great cause. Hopefully the weather cooperates :)

I will be at the walk as well. A friend of mine has a very young daughter suffering from a tumor as well. It is a great cause. Hopefully the weather cooperates :)

It would be nice to meet up, sarcastic guy that you are not withstanding. LOL! Pm me.

I just got off the phone with my daughter, she and her boyfriend have friends signing up. So too does my older son.

It would be nice to meet up, sarcastic guy that you are not withstanding. LOL! Pm me.

I just got off the phone with my daughter, she and her boyfriend have friends signing up. So too does my older son.

Sorry we weren't able to connect. It was a great day and they raised more than they had anticipated. Great Salsa band and good burgers. We went to ESPN for appetizers and drinks afterwards, while the downpour continued, then when the weather broke, walked down to the Blues Festival. Got some pics around the Bean too! LOL!

I'm glad you had a good time. I'll be there for sure next year. I haven't talked to my friends about it yet, but hopefully their time was as good as yours.

Forum List

Back