My Kind of Democrat....

Discussion in 'Politics' started by PoliticalChic, Dec 12, 2011.

1. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,936
    Senator Joe Manchin, Democrat of West Virginia. Where did this kind of Democrat go? Saw him this morning on 'Morning Joe,' and this Democrat said what our Leftie friends won't accept as the truth when it comes from Republicans.

Imagine if '08 saw the election of a candidate with executive experience...we'd have had a President who could solve problems, form coalitions, work with the other side. Instead, this blow-hard who claims he's the captain of the ship, but can't control the weather....

1. "Conservative Democrat Sen. Joe Manchin (W.Va.) criticized the president Monday for not showing enough leadership on the Simpson-Bowles deficit plan.

2. “Let me tell you right now what I can’t understand. We only have one topic on the table that everyone sort of agrees with, and it should be the template, which is Bowles-Simpson,” said Manchin on MSNBC’s Morning Joe. “Why doesn’t our leadership, why doesn’t our president, why don’t our leaders in the Senate take this template and put it together in bill form?”

3. “It’s not the leadership that I’m used to,” said the West Virginia senator. “As governor, I’d wear you out, I’d find you.”

4. “I’m pretty independent, as you know. I want this president to succeed. If you’re an American, you want your president to do well,” he said.

5. Manchin also railed against the dysfunction in the Senate, pointing out that the U.S. Senate hadn’t passed a budget in three years.

6. “I don’t have an excuse. There’s no excuse. I would have been impeached as governor,” he said.

7. As one of the dwindling number of conservative Democrats,..."
    Joe Manchin: Where?s White House leadership? - Tim Mak - POLITICO.com

Remember this ad?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIJORBRpOPM]Dead Aim - Joe Manchin for West Virginia TV Ad - YouTube[/ame]

• Thank You! Thank You! x 5
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  2. LoneLaugher

LoneLaugher Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,445
    Great post!! Really super! especially #4. You betchya.

3. Greenbeard

Greenbeard Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,323
    Given that the House budget chair voted against Simpson-Bowles when he served on their commission, I can't imagine what the answer to this question could be.

4. PoliticalChic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,936
    Let me answer that for you by giving a bit more of this morning's Manchin-Scarborough interview.

Manchin explained how suprised he was that when he came to the Senate, and asked how much they were spending....$3.7 trillion, and how much they had (revenue)...$2.2 trillion. As an experienced governor, he looked for cuts....there were none. In fact, he revealed that discussions ended with who they could blame for the problem, rather than solving it.

So, he suggested using Simpson-Bowles as a starting point, and asked Reid to help take parts of the plan that could get bipartisan support, and write a bill....
    ...Reid had no interest.

Manchin talked of Obama's lack of concern, saying that he could have lent support to the 'Supercommittee'...and gotten at least one Democrat to bend....
    ...instead, Obama was content to allow it to fail.
    That's when he suggested that if President: “As governor, I’d wear you out, I’d find you.”

If we had this kind of Democrat as President rather than a self-absorbed ideologue, the country would likely be in a very different position.

I thought Manchin was great!
    No doubt, you won't.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  5. BluePhantom

BluePhantom Educator (of liberals)

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,137
    Well God Bless ya Joe. See....every now and then I DO agree with a Democrat.

6. The T

The T George S. Patton Party Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    What USED TO BE A REPUBLIC RUN BY TYRANTS
    Ratings:
    +5,502
    A Dinosaur Like Zell Miller, and Joe Liberman...

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. Steelplate

Steelplate Bluesman

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +932
    Manchin also believes in making government smaller without destroying the lives of the Public Servant. He reduced the size of government in West Virginia by using attrition(not replacing employees when they retire) as the tool to do so... It took WV from a yearly deficit to surpluses just in the length of his time in Office.

he knows what people on the far right don't seem to... You don't need to slash and burn to achieve results.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  8. old navy

old navy <<< Action Figures

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    Ever notice that Manchin looks like Joe Theisman?

9. NYcarbineer

NYcarbineer Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,230
    Yes! I mentioned that years ago. It's remarkable.

10. PoliticalChic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,936
    "...making government smaller without destroying the lives of the Public Servants..."

Now that is interesting. He looks better and better.

In Ohio, the recent election was a conservative victory, albeit not a Republican one, in that the public service unions kept bargaining rights, and approved a proposal to prohibit people from being required to buy health insurance as part of the national healthcare.

Interesting to learn that Manchin also supported people's rights in West Virginia.

Imagine if Newt or Mitt chose Manchin as VP....