My Kind of Democrat....

Bowles-Simpson had tax increases and big defense cuts in it.

Why waste time talking to the GOP about a plan of that nature? What's the 'leadership' involved in wasting time trying to move an immovable force?

You're right. Any plan with tax increases in it is dead on arrival.

See?

In a rare moment of lucidity, this rightwing nut confirms my point.

That's pretty much the official Republican position on the issue, so how does that make me a "nut?"

Why waste time talking to the GOP about a plan of that nature? What's the 'leadership' involved in wasting time trying to move an immovable force?

Gee....if only you stayed in school long enough to learn to read...(sigh).

This, from post #4 above:
"So, he suggested using Simpson-Bowles as a starting point, and asked Reid to help take parts of the plan that could get bipartisan support, and write a bill....
...Reid had no interest."

Senator Joe Manchin, Democrat of West Virginia. Where did this kind of Democrat go? Saw him this morning on 'Morning Joe,' and this Democrat said what our Leftie friends won't accept as the truth when it comes from Republicans.

Imagine if '08 saw the election of a candidate with executive experience...we'd have had a President who could solve problems, form coalitions, work with the other side. Instead, this blow-hard who claims he's the captain of the ship, but can't control the weather....

1. "Conservative Democrat Sen. Joe Manchin (W.Va.) criticized the president Monday for not showing enough leadership on the Simpson-Bowles deficit plan.

2. “Let me tell you right now what I can’t understand. We only have one topic on the table that everyone sort of agrees with, and it should be the template, which is Bowles-Simpson,” said Manchin on MSNBC’s Morning Joe. “Why doesn’t our leadership, why doesn’t our president, why don’t our leaders in the Senate take this template and put it together in bill form?”

3. “It’s not the leadership that I’m used to,” said the West Virginia senator. “As governor, I’d wear you out, I’d find you.”

4. “I’m pretty independent, as you know. I want this president to succeed. If you’re an American, you want your president to do well,” he said.

5. Manchin also railed against the dysfunction in the Senate, pointing out that the U.S. Senate hadn’t passed a budget in three years.

6. “I don’t have an excuse. There’s no excuse. I would have been impeached as governor,” he said.

7. As one of the dwindling number of conservative Democrats,..."
Joe Manchin: Where?s White House leadership? - Tim Mak - POLITICO.com

Remember this ad?

Dead Aim - Joe Manchin for West Virginia TV Ad - YouTube

You, ma'am, are a uniter. In the spirit of Christmas, I thank you for one thread that reaches across the aisle and pats a good guy on the back for his intelligence, imagination and leadership. :)

Thank you, becki...!

Now, I know how to take a compliment, and do so appreciate one...but I see this as one of worldview rather than political party.
If Joe Manchin wants to trim government and balance the budget...he is evincing a conservative stance.

But this OP is not going to unite us with the Leftists...
....sadly.

They think that the bigger the government, the better.

This is an actual post form a member of this board:

"We have really messed up our environment, and we don't have another planet to go to.

Any protection that the average person from the polluters has IS FROM GOVERNMENT.

Any consumer protection is from the government.

Our educational system is from the government.

Our transportation. Our military. Our police.

We vote in officials, who make decisions on expenditures for our societal benefit.

That is not servitude. I'm freer under this government [along with people in other modern democracies] than any average person in the history of the world."

See what I mean?
I can almost hear this guy humming 'Deutschland über alles.'

"Slash and burn?" Your DimoRAT turds in Congress can't even find 1/3 of 1% to cut out of the annual budget.

STFU, you asshat. You are as partisan as they come. Sure... there are issues where I am too... but you take the cake. You're just like the people you criticize the most... Rdean, Truthmatters, etc.... it's just you're on the opposite end of the political spectrum...

The idea that you aren't a partisan is utterly hilarious. You aren't the slightest bit different from rdean or Truthmatters. And I am on the "right" end of the spectrum. That's "right" as in "correct." Truth is partisan, and it's almost never found on the left end of the political spectrum.

Manchin also believes in making government smaller without destroying the lives of the Public Servant. He reduced the size of government in West Virginia by using attrition(not replacing employees when they retire) as the tool to do so... It took WV from a yearly deficit to surpluses just in the length of his time in Office.

he knows what people on the far right don't seem to... You don't need to slash and burn to achieve results.

size differential between W.VA and the entire US.

Just proves that the republican base is nuts...not just you... you're in good company.

What is "nuts" about expecting government to live on the same amount of money instead of constantly demanding a bigger chunk of our hides every year?

Can I add: What is "nuts" about expecting government to live within constitutional bounds, specifically the enumerated powers?

Just proves that the republican base is nuts...not just you... you're in good company.

What is "nuts" about expecting government to live on the same amount of money instead of constantly demanding a bigger chunk of our hides every year?

Deficits mean future tax increases, those who take deficits seriously want the defense budget slashed.

But you're half right certainly no tax increase is necessary, with all the tax revenue we take in it should be quite simple to balance the budget and lower the debt, and our 2 status quo parties do the opposite.

Manchin also believes in making government smaller without destroying the lives of the Public Servant. He reduced the size of government in West Virginia by using attrition(not replacing employees when they retire) as the tool to do so... It took WV from a yearly deficit to surpluses just in the length of his time in Office.

he knows what people on the far right don't seem to... You don't need to slash and burn to achieve results.

"...making government smaller without destroying the lives of the Public Servants..."

Now that is interesting. He looks better and better.

In Ohio, the recent election was a conservative victory, albeit not a Republican one, in that the public service unions kept bargaining rights, and approved a proposal to prohibit people from being required to buy health insurance as part of the national healthcare.

Interesting to learn that Manchin also supported people's rights in West Virginia.

Imagine if Newt or Mitt chose Manchin as VP....

Hmmm...that would be an interesting tactical move. Nice idea, PC.

You are such a bitter little tool aren't you? Here's a clue for you, he's following a pattern set by former NM Governor, Gary Johnson (R).

http://www.garyjohnson2012.com/record

Last edited:

Deficits mean future tax increases, those who take deficits seriously want the defense budget slashed.

But you're half right certainly no tax increase is necessary, with all the tax revenue we take in it should be quite simple to balance the budget and lower the debt, and our 2 status quo parties do the opposite.

Taxes themselves represent a prime difference between the Left and the Right.

For the Right, revenue is for the purpose of supporting legitimate functions of government...and if there is more revenue than necessary for same, a tax cut is in order.

For the Left, taxes are for the purpose of wealth redistribution...'income equality.'

That's your choice when you vote in 2012.

"Slash and burn?" Your DimoRAT turds in Congress can't even find 1/3 of 1% to cut out of the annual budget.

STFU, you asshat. You are as partisan as they come. Sure... there are issues where I am too... but you take the cake. You're just like the people you criticize the most... Rdean, Truthmatters, etc.... it's just you're on the opposite end of the political spectrum...

The idea that you aren't a partisan is utterly hilarious. You aren't the slightest bit different from rdean or Truthmatters. And I am on the "right" end of the spectrum. That's "right" as in "correct." Truth is partisan, and it's almost never found on the left end of the political spectrum.

Didn't say I wasn't... in fact, I even admitted to it, depending on the issue.

But "right" doesn't always mean "correct"... you just think it does because you're a douche.

Imagine if Newt or Mitt chose Manchin as VP....

Something like that would never happen because there would be an insurrection at the Republican convention.

If Manchin's positions are conservative, and offering him the position would assuage those independents who claim to abhor the partisan bickering....it would be a gem of strategy!

Even if he declines the offer!

You are such a bitter little tool aren't you? Here's a clue for you, he's following a pattern set by former NM Governor, Gary Johnson (R).

Track Record

Ummm... pointing out that you don't have to hurt people to cut is being bitter? fuck you.

BTW... good for Johnson... I agree with him too.

You're right. Any plan with tax increases in it is dead on arrival.
See?

Aye, but laddie, the devil be in the details. *sigh*

Last edited:
See?

That's pretty much the official Republican position on the issue, so how does that make me a "nut?"

Actually that was not the Republican view...at least not in the "Supercommittee."

1. On Friday, Republicans offered a “go small” plan that would reduce the deficit by $640 billion — including a pay freeze and bigger pension contributions for federal workers, cuts in farm subsidies and other spending reductions. According to one GOP aide, this is “the lowest of the low-hanging fruit, stuff that everyone agrees on.”

a. Republicans even gave in to one of the Democrats’ long-held demands, eliminating the special tax break for corporate jets, which would raise $3 billion in new taxes over 10 years.

2. The Democrats rejected the GOP offer.

a. Patty Murray, Democratic co-chairman of the supercommittee, declared “it does not meet, even close to coming to meet, the issues that we set out from the beginning: fair and balanced.” Translation: Democrats won’t sign on to any spending cuts, no matter how modest, if Republicans do not agree to massive tax increases.

3. [Dems] dismissed a proposal by Sen. Pat Toomey that included some $300 billion in tax increases. In making this offer, Toomey and his fellow Republicans crossed a line in the sand their party had drawn — risking a major backlash from the GOP rank-and-file and the conservative grassroots. But instead of accepting this concession in good faith and putting forward a serious counteroffer, Democrats immediately attacked it and demanded $1 trillion in tax increases —

4. ...failure. ...may be precisely what the Democrats want. With President Obama’s approval ratings in the tank, and their party poised to lose control of the Senate in 2012, Democrats know their only hope to stave off electoral disaster is to run a negative campaign that paints Republicans as intransigent extremists.

5. It is the Democrats who have rejected every offer and every compromise Republicans put forward."Our super-pathetic debt supercommittee - The Washington Post

Want to redirect the "nuts" comment?

He will be labeled a traitor to the party and ostracized and purged if he doesn't toe the line quickly. That's how the progresso-liberal-socio-fascists work in that party.

Just like they TRIED to do and partially succeeded in doing to Lieberman.

Track Record

Ummm... pointing out that you don't have to hurt people to cut is being bitter? fuck you.

BTW... good for Johnson... I agree with him too.

The bitter comment is based on all of the woe is me bullshit dreck you post on this board. You're a bitter and angry person. Fuck you back and Happy Holidays comrade.

Track Record

I love to see you boys fighting...

...but I'd just like to point out that, while Big Government is a Left-wing position, and it is such a terrible idea that bribes must be offered to unions to make they go along with same, I see the Manchin-Johnson position of smaller government without hurting public service workers as a Right-wing position.
Nothing wrong with collective bargaining, either...there is no law that elected official must sign on to contracts that are non-economic.

Now, carry on.

Forum List

Back