My kids have a flair for the theatrical...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AllieBaba, Jul 25, 2010.

1. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    My house is thrashed because my cleaning lady quit (we're about a month out. It's bad.) I'm working fully time, it's summer, and I've always got deadlines hanging over me and something waiting for me to finish it.

The last couple of weekends I ventured out over the weekend mostly so I could avoid having to do anything at home. I go to my sister's (140 miles away) where my older son and his family are as well. It's like going to a resort...a lovely private pool, a computer room, gourmet kitchen (and her cleaning lady is full time) lots of things to do. Between myself and all the relatives the kids are always entertained and never have any meltdowns. We come back late at night on Sunday, tan and tired and fall into bed, then up on Monday morning and out the door.

I'm home this weekend and hoped that we'd just have a nice quiet weekend.

Lilly freaked out yesterday and yelled at me ("I HATE you! WAAAAAHHHHHHHH!") and flopped around bellowing and in general acting ugly, so I grounded her for the rest of the day and we worked on acceptable behavior and what it means to have it. By "grounding" I mean she got to stay inside and no visits across the street with her friend.

Today she's fine; in fact, she's great. But the boy is a wee bit volatile. His friend was here and my son was getting downright demanding and bossy and finally just got carried away so I sent his little buddy home. And when Wallace threw his new Lego Harry Potter game on the ground, I picked it up after he stomped away and told him I was throwing it away. At the time he said he didn't care, but later we had howling, and rolling, and unflattering commentary about mom (which got the teeth soaped a wee bit). Followed by a runaway scene which I will spare you but ended with me holding the phone and threatening to call "Nana" to pick him up and to keep him for the rest of the day.

I don't remember the first boys being so dramatic - not until they were in their teens.

I wonder if it's a good sign these two are going through it now? Does it mean we got it over and adolescence will be bump free? Or will they just go through a worse stage later, and is their precociousness now just a tiny taste of the nightmare to come?????

Parenthood is not for sissies.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. SFC Ollie

SFC Ollie Still Marching

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,457
    Try taking over as the new step dad with teenagers......

Anyway the bad news for you is that adolescence is never bump free.

Lots of patience, love, and understanding helps though.

And then there is always the threat of a big stick.............

3. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    Nobody in family is afraid of sticks, that's the thing. You have to be creative because the whole family has a high pain threshold and a serious combative and stoic streak when it comes to oppression, real or imagined.

4. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,878
    you got a cleaning lady....and you work? my my my will wonder never cease

5. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    No, my cleaning lady quit.
    She only came in once a week. I'm so horrible about housework that I decided to budget the money for it so the kids can have a semi-normal home to live in.

But once a week was not enough, believe me. She'd shine things up but nothing ever really got done. We need a full-time, industrial cleaning team and probably a carpenter and plumber as well.

Why the wonder? That I have a cleaning lady? Or that I work? I've always worked. I talk about it all the time...

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. Samson

Samson Póg Mo Thóin Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,210
    No, indeed, parenthood isn't for sissys...(actually, growing old ain't for sissies either).

A: WTF do you need a maid? Are the kids physically handicapped? If not, I'd have them scrubbing a damn toilet or two if they wanted me to turn on the electricty in the house.

B. Things get WORSE.....always.

C. Whe sticks don't work, and nothing else works, then you're done: sit back, STFU, have a glass of wine and take a long hot bath.

7. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    They're only 6 & 7. They can't reach the cupboards to put away dishes, or the faucets.

I do have them clean the bathroom, they can reach everything in there. But my bathroom doesn't get very bad. For some reason I usually keep it pretty clean myself.

8. Samson

Samson Póg Mo Thóin Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,210
    Just have them scrub floors: nothin' they cannot reach on the floor, right?

Then give them some scissors and have them cut the grass.:drillsergeant:

9. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    They occasionally do the scissors/grass thing on their own, lol.

10. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,338
    This kind of sounds like a face-saving explanation for effeminate behavior in your kids..

'They're not gay! They just have a flair for the theatrical!!'