3. To Catch a Thief
4. Notorious
5. Vertigo
6. Spellbound

Others
1. Blazing Saddles
2. Lord of the Rings
3. Gattaca
4. Charlie Chaplin (The Gold Rush, Modern Times, etc)

I have many but here goes the short list

BladeRunner
Seven
Year Of Living Dangerously
Eyes of Laura Mars
Manhunter
Prophecy
Last of The Mohecians
Dracula (Gary Oldman)
Heat
The Insider
To Live and Die In LA
Braveheart
Gladiator
PII
Mothman Prophecies
Valley of The Dolls
Clint Eastwood's spaghetti westerns
Python's Life Of Brian
The Passion
Excalibur
Replacement Killers
Virtuosity
Strange Days
Vampires (John Carpenter)
Vampire Chronicles
Signs
Thief

This list could go on for awhile with me, but here's the first ten that came to mind.

1. Braveheart
2. Reservoir Dogs
3. The Great Escape
4. Planes, Trains, and Automobiles
5. What did you do in the war daddy?
6. The Shining
7. Liar, Liar
8. Cool Hand Luke
9. Lord of the Rings
10. Star Trek 5: The Undiscovered Country

Had to get a Star Trek in there somewhere.

1. Star Wars trilogy
2. Terminator Trilogy
3. Matrix (just the first one. Others were interesting but not favs)
4. Predator
5. Snatch
6. Die Hard Trilogy
7. Scarface

Plenty more but can't think of them right now.

KarlMarx said:
Hitchcock, the Master of Suspense

1. North By Northwest
2. Rear Window
3. To Catch a Thief
4. Notorious
5. Vertigo
6. Spellbound

Don't think I've ever seen Spellbound. But you forgot,
7. What about Harry?

8. Harrison Ford movies: Presumed Innocent/Witness/Hanover St.
9. Cary Grant movies: Mr. Blandings ...dream house/ An affair to remember& many others
Really there are so many movies that WERE truly good. I don't think today's movies are quite up to the old standards. All we have is better technology.

insein said:
1. Star Wars trilogy
2. Terminator Trilogy
3. Matrix (just the first one. Others were interesting but not favs)
4. Predator
5. Snatch
6. Die Hard Trilogy
7. Scarface

Plenty more but can't think of them right now.

Snatch??? EEEWWW just the word itself makes me cringe :slap: LOL

Bonnie said:
Python's Life Of Brian
The Passion

That's kinda odd that two of your favorite movies are a celebration of Christ's death and a parody of his life. Life of Brian is a good movie, though I probably didn't get most of the jokes the first time I saw it.

Oh, and here's my favorites (a few of them, anyway)...

Chasing Amy
Magnolia
American Beauty
Evil Dead 2
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Kill Bill
Pulp Fiction
Goodfellas
Finding Nemo
Trainspotting
Tromeo and Juliet
Dazed and Confused
Adaptation
Monsters, Inc

Dan said:
That's kinda odd that two of your favorite movies are a celebration of Christ's death and a parody of his life. Life of Brian is a good movie, though I probably didn't get most of the jokes the first time I saw it.

I suppose for me the diffrence is that Life of Brian I take for exactly what it is comedy, and nothing more. Really if you look at a lot of what was in that movie, they really are trashing liberalism, and Romans. Ex the discussion in the stands with the whole "Reg has a right to want a baby even thought he can't actually have one which is nobody's fault not even the Romans"......... You know it is possible to be a Catholic or Christian and still have a good sense of humor :beer:

I suppose for me the diffrence is that Life of Brian I take for exactly what it is comedy, and nothing more. Really if you look at a lot of what was in that movie, they really are trashing liberalism, and Romans. Ex the discussion in the stands with the whole "Reg has a right to want a baby even thought he can't actually have one which is nobody's fault not even the Romans"......... You know it is possible to be a Catholic or Christian and still have a good sense of humor

No, I know, though these days it's hard to find anybody with a sense of humor about anything!

I just figured since religion is something people hold so sacred that they would not accept a movie that, while it does make fun of all viewpoints, it certainly takes plenty of shots at Christ himself and his story.

Few Christians would find humor in the end, which has Jesus, on the cross, singing the song "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life", which includes these lyrics:

"Life's a piece of shit
When you look at it
Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true."

Personally, I thought it was hilarious, I just think it's not a favorite among churchgoers.

Dan said:
No, I know, though these days it's hard to find anybody with a sense of humor about anything!

I just figured since religion is something people hold so sacred that they would not accept a movie that, while it does make fun of all viewpoints, it certainly takes plenty of shots at Christ himself and his story.

Few Christians would find humor in the end, which has Jesus, on the cross, singing the song "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life", which includes these lyrics:

"Life's a piece of shit
When you look at it
Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true."

Personally, I thought it was hilarious, I just think it's not a favorite among churchgoers.

The end of that movie aka the cross scene was one of my favorite scenes, it was hysterically funny, parents thought so as well, and we are devoted Catholics.

Another was the stoning scene, the gord on sticks, the speech about the birds, and the onlookers are heckling Brian accusing Brian of making it up as he goes, and saying the birds are scrounging. That's brilliant comedy!

The end of that movie aka the cross scene was one of my favorite scenes, it was hysterically funny, parents thought so as well, and we are devoted Catholics.

Another was the stoning scene, the gord on sticks, the speech about the birds, and the onlookers are heckling Brian accusing Brian of making it up as he goes, and saying the birds are scrounging. That's brilliant comedy!

Yeah, it is. I love the movie and all, my point is just that MOST Christians (the hardcore ones,anyway) would probably not like it.

Bonnie said:
Actually I have not, what is the premise of the movie?? Maybe I'll rent it??

Its one of those movies where the plot is intertwined among a dozen or so people or groups of people. There is a diamond. 96 karats. Its stolen. The whole movie revolves around people trying to get the diamond or being involved in some way with people who are getting the diamond. It has Brad Pitt as a pikey boxer who is hardly understandable. Jason Statham is also in it, the British dude from the transporter and lock stock and 2 smoking barrels.

Its a very good movie. Its funny alot. Dark in a few spots (but not for very long). Ultimately its a good natured film.

Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Gladiator
Last of Mohicans
Pulp Fiction
Kill Bill 1 & 2
Full Metal Jacket
Snatch
Fight Club (Brad Pitt is really excellent in the two)
Monty Python : Brian's Life, & Holy Grail (really fun, they're really hilarious)
Matrix (only the first)
Braveheart
Sleepy Hollow
Pirates of the Carribeans
Star Wars movies
A Bridge Too far
The Longest Day
Save Private Ryan
Love Actually
The Patriot
Léon (a Luc Besson movie, with Jean Reno, Nathalie Portman and the fantastic Gary Oldman)
Papy Fait de la Resistance
Dien Bien Phu
Apocalypse Now

So many great films, so little time.

Schindler’s List – remarkable film making.
Modern Times – Chaplin’s best.
Lord of the Rings Trilogy – huge effort and great result.
North by Northwest – the master’s best.
Apocalypse Now – "Charlie don't surf."
To Kill a Mockingbird – Gregory Peck was superb.
Saving Private Ryan – the first 20 minutes are overwhelming.
Alien – scariest movie ever.
On the Waterfront – Brando’s best.
Blade Runner – best science fiction movie.
Unbreakable – creepy surprise ending.
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - “Who are those guys?”
The African Queen - Humphrey and Katherine are great together.
Unforgiven – Clint’s best film.
Almost Famous – “Tell him it’s a think piece.”
Chasing Amy – “Chick pressing charges?”
Being There – great satire.
Hoosiers – best sports movie
Major League – “Bats are afraid.”

Dan said:
Oh, I forgot about Almost Famous, I'll put that on mine, too.

Cameron Crowe did a great job on "Almost Famous." I like his directing and writing very much. Of course his film "Jerry McGuire" is also excellent. Renee Zellweger is so sweet in that film. In "Almost Famous," the scenes with "Lester Bangs" (Philip Hoffman) are terrific. http://www.furious.com/perfect/lesterbangs.html At the radio station: "Don't you think it's a little early for that?" "Not for me," and walking with William Miller: "Don't worry, you'll meet them all again on your journey back to the middle." Kate Hudson was about as cute as a girl can be. The music was...well, it was the music of the time and really fun to listen to. The scene in the bus where everyone joins in on "Tiny Dancer" was great film making.

Forum List

Back