My favorite buddhist posters`

AllieBaba

Rookie
Oct 2, 2007
Whoops, there are none I care for.

Oh well, I'll just go ahead and list a bunch of people who hate the buddhist poster and call it good!

:lol:

There are no Buddhist on USMB. They are rare in this country. There are only what they call psuddist. They are the ones who burn nag champa, and have a little brass Buddha glued to the dash of there car. The real ones are secure enough in there beliefs that they dont need to post on message boards .

• Banned
My sis' cleaning lady was Buddhist. She didn't do messageboards either. She was a lovely Thai lady, we were good friends. She was a wonderful cook and opened a restaurant. Her husband was Christian and she had no problem with Christians. Her brother in Thailand was a monk.

My sis' cleaning lady was Buddhist. She didn't do messageboards either. She was a lovely Thai lady, we were good friends. She was a wonderful cook and opened a restaurant. Her husband was Christian and she had no problem with Christians. Her brother in Thailand was a monk.
What happened to them ? Some murkinz tried to deliver them freedom and democracy ????
Happens to a lot of nice folks.

What happened to them ? Some murkinz tried to deliver them freedom and democracy ????
Happens to a lot of nice folks.

Well, in Costa Rica, If they are under 12 the American expats try to have sex with them.

• Banned
Oh nothing happened to them except they moved to a different town. Husband had medical issues.

Twan is a lovely person. And she loves the US.

Yep, the real ones are rock solid in there beliefs.

one favorite bit of wisdom I've posted
came from a Buddhist monk so I wish to give him credit
(I can't find his name online, but he used to live on Fiji Island I think?)

he summarized the Bible this way:
"the Old Testament is about living by the letter of the law
and the New Testament is about living by the spirit of the law"

this simple summary has helped put in perspective
all the bickering back and forth over
the letter of the Bible vs the meaning in spirit

Additional Notes:
(I have since elaborated on that theme in
distinguishing the Old Testament relationship with God
as Retributive Justice
and the New Testament relationships with God
as Restorative Justice which Christ Jesus represents)

one way does not void the other
they both exist, you get the justice you give

so the law of justice is fulfilled in Christ Jesus
whichever side of the double-edged sword of justice you invoke
that is how you either live by grace or die by the sword

hhhhhmmmmmm favorite buddhist posters......

sex-in-stone-kamasutra-demotivational-poster-1268282649.jpg

KS.jpg

:lol:

I read somewhere that Buddhism is open to other religions and thought?

"From this chart two things can be learnt: that there is an extreme variation in religious experience, and that there is a geographical logic to this variation. It varies with the longitude rather than with the latitude. As we move eastward God dies somewhere between Hinduism and Buddhism. Before that, between Islam and Hinduism, Satan has already perished. Faith loosens up: rather than the occidental either-or, this faith or that, there is an Oriental both-and, this faith and that one.(2) And the faith(s) chosen or grown into are no longer seen as universally valid; validity for me/us does not imply validity for all. The individual soul is gradually deemphasized, from a knot of individual ownership in this life, via shared ownership with others in a series of reincarnations, to a vague dispersal of the ego into the net with others, the sum total of all relations with other beings, past, present and future.(3) Life goals change dramatically: from an eternal continuation of individual existence, next to God, to transcendence to a higher existence devoid of individual and permanent identity, nibbana." Religions, Hard and Soft

"Ironically, contemporary philosophy almost never asks the philosophical questions that matter most deeply to our everyday lives. In fact those meaning of life questions have been deliberately avoided. Now, Owen Flanagan brings his trademark clarity, breadth of scientific knowledge, and wit to bear on questions that have seemed too big for analytic philosophy -- what is the relation between religion and science, and what can we do to lead fulfilling and meaningful lives in a material world defined by scientific inquiry? He includes an exceptionally well-informed and thoughtful account of the Buddhist tradition, and empirical findings from 'positive psychology', as well as philosophical arguments. This book is a distinctive and compelling combination of skeptical rationality and gentle affirmation of the enchantment of the everyday." Alison Gopnik, Professor of Psychology, University of California, Berkeley [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Really-Hard-Problem-Material-Bradford/dp/0262512483/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8]Amazon.com: The Really Hard Problem: Meaning in a Material World (Bradford Books) (9780262512480): Owen Flanagan: Books[/ame]

I read somewhere that Buddhism is open to other religions and thought?

yes,
it is said that you can practice Buddhism and be of ANY faith or no faith at all.
it merely helps you to refine and understand whatever your focus or ways in life.

Buddhist practice is focused on developing one's own Wisdom/Understanding
and Compassion. This helps all people to be more effective and peaceful in life.

Those two principles are the root of all other teachings or advice in Buddhism.

This is similar to how all the teachings in Christianity come from the two great commandments. (If you equate loving God with Wisdom/Truth and Christ with Compassion/Charity/love of others, then these are compatible cultural parallels)

[I also find that you can receive Christ and be of any faith or even nontheist
and still follow the spirit of Truth and Justice by receiving Christ into whatever
system of laws and beliefs you follow. Jesus governs and fulfills all these paths.

it may change your perception by fulfilling your principles, some errors or
conflicts will be corrected or changed in the process, but for each person
I find they merely become more fulfilled and truer to their purpose and calling.

And I also find you can be Constitutionalist and respect or follow any other
faith or no faith, though this would call for equally respecting the same of others
if you are truly consistent with Constitutional principles of equal freedom of beliefs]

There are no Buddhist on USMB. They are rare in this country. There are only what they call psuddist. They are the ones who burn nag champa, and have a little brass Buddha glued to the dash of there car. The real ones are secure enough in there beliefs that they dont need to post on message boards .

I am not pure/traditional Buddhist.
I am also a Christian believer which adds more content to my Buddhist
beliefs, and overall I am more Constitutionalist than anything else.

But since I do take refuge in the Buddha, the Dharma, and the Sangha,
that IS enough to be a Buddhist. I just practice and interpret this on a broader scale.

I believe the Three Refuges are another expression or manifestation of the Father/Son/HolySpirit in Christianity, just another perspective on God and God's laws but from a more secular perspective based on natural laws and ethics.

Constitutional principles of judicial/legislative/executive power
is yet another expression which applies most concretely to real world
relations and policies and practices, so I use that language a lot!

[and no, I don't burn any incense or chant any mantras.
that is not what makes someone Buddhist.
my way of meditating is also very Americanized
and not the traditional sitting in silence. Again I am more
Constitutionalist, where whichever person or project I am
working on at any time, I will support and use their language and structure
to work with that group, so I adapt to the audience and circumstances.
This is still developing peace and order in the Community whether you
call it the Sangha or the Church Body in Christ. it's the same process,
just different terms or traditions for each group that is part of the whole body.]

Last edited:
The irony of the OP is that the handful of Buddhists I've known in my lifetime behaved more like Jesus than most Christians I know.

But whatcha gonna do? :dunno:

The irony of the OP is that the handful of Buddhists I've known in my lifetime behaved more like Jesus than most Christians I know.

But whatcha gonna do? :dunno:

Well if you believe as I do that Christianity teaches the later stages of full spiritual maturity coming to fruition, then it makes sense.

The end of suffering is supposed to mean all people reach Buddhahood which is like realizing the Kingdom of God, spiritual peace and harmony for all beings.

So if you believe Jesus brings salvation to all humanity,
this points to the same culmination, regardless which language you
use to describe that fulfillment and realization of universal truth.

Buddha prophesied that other Buddhas/spiritual beings would come to
teach humanity in future stages, so of course Jesus and the Holy Spirit
can represent those fulfilling stages.

Are we going to have separate threads for each religion form Bahai to Zoraistrainism?

Most people I run into can either discuss their principles using
Christian/Jewish teachings
Buddhism
Constitutionalism
secular humanist or atheist/science
and maybe
Islam as that has become a public issue of interpretation

that covers most people I know
so any issues/conflicts should be able to be
resolved using some combination of those

if there are others, of course, people will bring those up as needed!

Forum List

Back