My favorite 70's vehicle!! 1972 Buick Estate Wagon

I learned to drive in a 73 225,,, if you can drive one of those you can drive anything,,
What kind of transmission did it have?
When I got on my 440, I could watch the gas gauge drop.

Yep, used to measure those engines by the number of stations it could pass. lol
350 with a Rochester 650 4bbl?

Punch it and you can literally see the gas gauge creeping steadily down.

One thing got like..8mpg unloaded. 5-6 if loaded.

I had this EXACT model/color/features when I got out of school!!
I love 70's Buicks.
Had a "thing" for the station wagons!!! Still do!!!

A good friend's folks had a Olds Vista Cruiser that was pretty cool. My friend got his hands on a Crown Vic wagon that had a Latter Day Saints sticker on the bumper. The LDS wagon became known as the (tongue-in-cheek) LSD wagon. Families had great times taking that wagon on camping trips.

What kind of transmission did it have?

350 with a Rochester 650 4bbl?

Punch it and you can literally see the gas gauge creeping steadily down.

One thing got like..8mpg unloaded. 5-6 if loaded.
I was 14 so I had no idea,, I think it was a 455 and it did have glass packs with no tail pipes,,

I recall riding with my brother along the airport road at almost 100 mph and watching the gas gauge drop,,

this was in 1979-80

A good friend's folks had a Olds Vista Cruiser that was pretty cool. My friend got his hands on a Crown Vic wagon that had a Latter Day Saints sticker on the bumper. The LDS wagon became known as the (tongue-in-cheek) LSD wagon. Families had great times taking that wagon on camping trips.
I had a 1973 olds delta 88 with the rocket 350. Great car car. A real boat of a car.

I had a 1973 olds delta 88 with the rocket 350. Great car car. A real boat of a car.
I knew somebody that had that. It was the yellow. The back wheels were 1/2 covered?
No, I looked and the car that had that shape did not have the back wheels half covered. I remember a 455 Rocket, though

Last edited:
I knew somebody that had that. It was the yellow. The back wheels were 1/2 covered?
No, I looked and the car that had that shape did not have the back wheels half covered. I remember a 455 Rocket, though
Yeah I think they made a few motors they call “rocket”. The rocket 350 wasn’t fast in a big car like that, but it was very smooth and had decent acceleration.

The rocket engines were paint a gold color.

Sorry boys, but the best looking car from the golden age of American Muscle was the 1967 Olds Toronado.

Unfortunately...it was also the first American front wheel drive.

Screenshot_20221104-211751-499.png

Sorry boys, but the best looking car from the golden age of American Muscle was the 1967 Olds Toronado.

View attachment 721056
I have a good friend that had one of those--it was the reason he left CA in 1990. It wouldn't pass smog, so he sold out and moved to OR. LOL now he's looking to ID--OR got too crazy for him too.

View attachment 721056
Yes that car is very cool. I owned a 1978 Olds Toronado. Bigger and not as cool as your model, but what car. It was fabulous in the snow with that big block V8 and front wheel drive. The ladies liked too.
1978-oldsmobile-toronado-brougham.jpg

I had this EXACT model/color/features when I got out of school!!
I love 70's Buicks.
Had a "thing" for the station wagons!!! Still do!!!

I had a Vista CRUNCHER,,,with a 455 HO. We refered to it as the "bangin wagon".
The eternal smell was due to "trout fishin'.... as far as my dad knew....AHEM
Fun timez !
Never a lick of trouble ! OK. Michelle got pison ivy.... on her ass and back....To this day nobody know-eth why only there ??? Her dad kinda, sorta had an idea..... Not me Fred !NEVER !
Lyin SOB to this very day
Better shower. Wife is up in Nicaragua buying beef. Fishy smell ligerethest.
Decent omellete tho

No automatic... stock it could beat most supped up cars on the road...
I think you’re embellishing. Or maybe you had little competition. I grew up in the Detroit area, muscle cars were everywhere.

I had a ‘68 Charger with a 383 auto and it wasn’t anything special. Of course the RR was a lighter car, but still.

If you had an RR with a 440 4-speed six pack or dual quads, that would do it. It was one of the fastest muscle cars made.

I think you’re embellishing. Or maybe you had little competition. I grew up in the Detroit area, muscle cars were everywhere.

I had a ‘68 Charger with a 383 auto and it wasn’t anything special. Of course the RR was a lighter car, but still.

If you had an RR with a 440 4-speed six pack or dual quads, that would do it. It was one of the fastest muscle cars made.
It had 440 heads on it and in a qtr mile it was hard to beat...

Forum List

Back