My dog attacked my cat...now she won't eat :(

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fuzzykitten99, Jun 30, 2006.

1. fuzzykitten99

fuzzykitten99 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
    Ratings:
    +199
    For my mother's day present, Tim let me 'adopt' Buster, my mom's Siberian Husky. Tim doesn't like most dogs, but really likes Buster, and it helps my mom because she is moving and can't take Buster with her.

So, we have had Buster full time now for about 2 weeks, but we also have 2 cats. Buster has never been around cats, though my cats have been around dogs a good portion of their lives. So far though, the cats have been avoiding him, staying downstairs or outside. So there really hasn't been a lot of exposure to each other because we have been trying to get Buster adjusted to living with us.

On monday, Tim opened the sliding door to go out onto the porch for something. Buster doesn't usually even take notice, but he saw my older cat on the porch and bolted. He chased her into the bushes, and Tim went after him, because he hasn't been trained yet to stay in the yard. Buster comes out with my cat by the belly, in his mouth. I see this, start screaming, and chasing Buster to get him to release her. He finally does drop her, and I grab her, and run inside. I brought her to the ER Vets and they said she seems to just be bruised and more or less traumatized. They put her on O2 and an IV drip to give her some fluids and morphine, and kept her overnight. She has been home 3 days, and hasn't touched her food, even though it is her favorite soft food. I want to call the vet but I also want to wait it out to see if she eventually does eat. But she can't go too long or she'll starve.

Any tips on getting her to eat or drink?

BTW-I'm not mad at Buster in the least. He did what his instincts told him to-though it cost us nearly $400 in vet fees...

2. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    I'd talk to the vet, but if there's nothing physically wrong with her, it may be that she's afraid the dog's going to get her while she's distracted, or something like that. What you need to do is assert yourself. You're the boss. Let them know it. Make sure the dog spends time around the cats, but any time he even gets a funny look on his face, touch him in some way (preferably on the neck) and make a sound. Make it the same sound every time (to see this in action, watch "The Dog Whisperer"). The dog will understand that you're in charge and that you say that cat is off limits. Seeing you keep the dog in check will make the cat feel safer.

P.S. Since the dog behaved violently, you may want to call in a pro to help you or else you may risk getting bitten.

3. Joz

Joz Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +221
    Don't wait any longer, Call the vet.

4. Abbey Normal

Abbey Normal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Poor baby!

5. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Damn cat needs to be faster.:tng:

6. fuzzykitten99

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Buster is extremely well trained, except the being around cats thing. He has been around kids and babies since he was born, and Nathan literally wrestles with him, and he hasn't intentionally hurn him yet, or even shown any aggression at all.
    The vet said that this is the nature of a Husky, and he's surprised Baby (my cat's name) didn't get a broken neck because a Husky will usually shake their 'prey' to snap their neck or back. Buster actually seemed to think it was like one of his toys he has.

The vet did advise us to being Baby to the U of MN to do an ultrasound for any internal bleeding or injuries not showing on an xray. Problem is, they cost big $$$...which is what we don't have right now because we are pouring everything we have into the house to get it up to code for the daycare.

edited to add: she is currently in our den, with the door closed, so the dog can't bother her, nor can Nathan. So I don't think woule be because she's afraid the dog will get her.

7. fuzzykitten99

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +199
    she's 13 yrs old...not exactly a spring kitten.

8. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Then it should be no huge task to make sure Buster knows that Baby is your toy, after Baby's healed up a bit, though.

9. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
    I would give Buster a nice dog treat and a "good boy!"...

J/k... I'm constantly yelling at my Whippet for torturing our cat. Too bad the vet bill was so high...

10. 007

007 Charter Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,185
    If a dog attacked my cat like that, I'd shoot it.

Get rid of the dog. The cats were there first. It's their home. I'd venture to say there will be no way to keep this from happening again in the future, only next time the dog may kill the cat. Cats are very stable creatures. They need to know that where they're at is "THEIR" turf. The cat won't eat as long as the dog is there. It has interupted it's life, in a very violent and deadly way. The cat won't ever be the same again unless you get RID of the dog. I'll stake my word on that. My cat is 15, and if I brought in some strange dog, into HIS world, HIS domain, and he nearly got KILLED by that dog, that trauma alone may scar him psychologically forever. I'd feel HORRIBLE if I ever did that to him. Sorry I sound so harsh, but this is urgent, I know cats, and you just can't do that to them.

I feel sorry for the cat. The dog no doubt believes he needs to kill it to claim his new domain, and that's what will happen... to BOTH the cats.

Get rid of the dog, fast, or be ready to bury both your cats.

Taking in that dog was a bad idea. He's ultimately your MOTHER'S responsibility, not your's. She should have never taken him on as a pet if she knew that somewhere down the road she was going to have to pawn him off on someone else. The best possible years of ever owning a pet are the ones when they get older. The connection between you and them is deep and priceless. They "trust" you, and that trust should never be broken or betrayed.