My buddy Sitarra

Discussion in 'Pets' started by sitarro, Apr 29, 2004.

1. sitarro

sitarro Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,001
    This is a photo of my buddy of 15 years . . . Sitarra . The cat is Madison , she had a huge crush . They are both gone now but I love this photograph . It wasn't set up , I was watching tv one night and looked over and there was the shot . Luckily I had my camera near by .

2. sitarro

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,001
    Hey Evil ,
    Thanks , he was a great guy . Yes he was an Afghan Hound , my third . The other two I had were mother and daughter . Sitarra was more like a dog than the other two , they were more like big cats . I had them when I lived in the country in Louisiana . The Mother brought home a baby wood hare in her mouth one day . She had such a soft touch , I guess she found it in the woods and thought it was a puppy . My girlfriend and I raised that rabbit and released it once it became an adult . Her daughter got in a fight with a huge nutria( a big beaver like mammal) and killed it , I have it's skull in my collection .
    Sitarra loved to watch television but was very selective . The discovery channel was his favorite . He liked stupid pet tricks on David Letterman's show and I taped the Westminster Dog Show for him. What was amazing was how he reacted to sight hounds on tv . I had always heard that dogs couldn't see television but I disagree . He would go nuts over the greyhound races. He would jump up and look behind the set . The Afghans and Borzois on the dog show would get a different responce over a german sheperd .
    Afghans are different , they are very independent . Where a lab was bred to help the human hunter , the Afghan was bred to hunt down other animals on their own . They look like pussies but my first one was a big female that I had to pull off of a large male Doberman that made the mistake of coming into her territory while she had a litter of puppies . She knocked him down with her front paws and had him pinned on his back and was going for the throat when I pulled her off of him . I was shocked to see how quick she became so brutal.

3. Moi

Moi Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    What cute little guys. I have always feared afghans' grooming requirements. I barely have time to do my hair, much less a dog's. But they are so intelligent and loyal.

4. sitarro

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,001
    Merci Moi ,
    That's pretty funny , thank you me:laugh:
    Afghans are a pain to keep groomed . What made mine worse is that I didn't train them from the beginning to enjoy the brush . . .disaster . The one in the photo lived most of his life in Denver , that climate was great for him . No fleas and few mosquitoes! He must of hated me for moving him down to Houston .
    Greyhounds are basically the same dog with a "new recruit cut" . Their bone structure seems a bit smaller but then again I have seen some big greyhounds . Two great alternatives are Borzois and Salukis , both are also sight hounds and have temperments that are generally the same without the hippie hair of the afghan . If I could I would love to have a pair of each . I don't have any dogs right now , just 3 cats (no I am not gay). I do love most of the breeds but there is something about the Afghan and sight hounds in general that I am drawn to . I don't know if it is the combination of regal beauty , independence , or athletic ability or the combination of all these but I do know that my next pair will be Afghans.
    One thing that was interesting about these dogs , when the U.S. went to Afghanistan to kick the Taliban's collective asses , I read an article in the Phoenix paper about how the owners and breeders of Afghans were being harrased for having them . Wierd world .
    The cat in the photo was a Somali , a long haired Abyssinian that I rescued from a breeder . She was going to kill her because she was too dark . Great cat.

5. krisy

krisy Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +112
    That is just adorable!!! What a shot. Dogs are the most loyal creatures on earth...and my favorite animal.

6. krisy

krisy Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +112
    He is usually sitting behind me on the couch watching t.v. when I'm on here....shouting at me what to tell all the people that we disagree with! Goofball-he wants me to do all the work!Tonight,him and our son were watching WWE while I sat here and tried to block it out:p:

We are in the middle of buying a home and have been busy too. BTW...have you seen my father in law around? He goes by gaffer.