My buddy Sitarra

sitarro

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2003
USA
This is a photo of my buddy of 15 years . . . Sitarra . The cat is Madison , she had a huge crush . They are both gone now but I love this photograph . It wasn't set up , I was watching tv one night and looked over and there was the shot . Luckily I had my camera near by .

Hey Evil ,
Thanks , he was a great guy . Yes he was an Afghan Hound , my third . The other two I had were mother and daughter . Sitarra was more like a dog than the other two , they were more like big cats . I had them when I lived in the country in Louisiana . The Mother brought home a baby wood hare in her mouth one day . She had such a soft touch , I guess she found it in the woods and thought it was a puppy . My girlfriend and I raised that rabbit and released it once it became an adult . Her daughter got in a fight with a huge nutria( a big beaver like mammal) and killed it , I have it's skull in my collection .
Sitarra loved to watch television but was very selective . The discovery channel was his favorite . He liked stupid pet tricks on David Letterman's show and I taped the Westminster Dog Show for him. What was amazing was how he reacted to sight hounds on tv . I had always heard that dogs couldn't see television but I disagree . He would go nuts over the greyhound races. He would jump up and look behind the set . The Afghans and Borzois on the dog show would get a different responce over a german sheperd .
Afghans are different , they are very independent . Where a lab was bred to help the human hunter , the Afghan was bred to hunt down other animals on their own . They look like pussies but my first one was a big female that I had to pull off of a large male Doberman that made the mistake of coming into her territory while she had a litter of puppies . She knocked him down with her front paws and had him pinned on his back and was going for the throat when I pulled her off of him . I was shocked to see how quick she became so brutal.

What cute little guys. I have always feared afghans' grooming requirements. I barely have time to do my hair, much less a dog's. But they are so intelligent and loyal.

Merci Moi ,
That's pretty funny , thank you me:laugh:
Afghans are a pain to keep groomed . What made mine worse is that I didn't train them from the beginning to enjoy the brush . . .disaster . The one in the photo lived most of his life in Denver , that climate was great for him . No fleas and few mosquitoes! He must of hated me for moving him down to Houston .
Greyhounds are basically the same dog with a "new recruit cut" . Their bone structure seems a bit smaller but then again I have seen some big greyhounds . Two great alternatives are Borzois and Salukis , both are also sight hounds and have temperments that are generally the same without the hippie hair of the afghan . If I could I would love to have a pair of each . I don't have any dogs right now , just 3 cats (no I am not gay). I do love most of the breeds but there is something about the Afghan and sight hounds in general that I am drawn to . I don't know if it is the combination of regal beauty , independence , or athletic ability or the combination of all these but I do know that my next pair will be Afghans.
One thing that was interesting about these dogs , when the U.S. went to Afghanistan to kick the Taliban's collective asses , I read an article in the Phoenix paper about how the owners and breeders of Afghans were being harrased for having them . Wierd world .
The cat in the photo was a Somali , a long haired Abyssinian that I rescued from a breeder . She was going to kill her because she was too dark . Great cat.

Originally posted by sitarro
This is a photo of my buddy of 15 years . . . Sitarra . The cat is Madison , she had a huge crush . They are both gone now but I love this photograph . It wasn't set up , I was watching tv one night and looked over and there was the shot . Luckily I had my camera near by .

That is just adorable!!! What a shot. Dogs are the most loyal creatures on earth...and my favorite animal.

Originally posted by Sir Evil
Good choice krisy! hey what ever happened to your other half? have'nt seen him around!

He is usually sitting behind me on the couch watching t.v. when I'm on here....shouting at me what to tell all the people that we disagree with! Goofball-he wants me to do all the work!Tonight,him and our son were watching WWE while I sat here and tried to block it out:p:

We are in the middle of buying a home and have been busy too. BTW...have you seen my father in law around? He goes by gaffer.

Forum List

Back