My Best Vacations

In no particular order:

Ocean cruise - Copenhagen, St Petersburg, Stockholm, Helsinki, Talinn, and Warnemuende (Germany).

Pacific Northwest driving: Seattle, Victoria, Vancouver, Mt Ranier

Guided bus tour through England, Scotland, and Wales

SoCal: a different "attraction" every day for ten days (including a two day trip up to the Hearst castle).

Colonial Williamsburg with golf - just a great place to relax.

Maine coast from Portland through Campo Bello (not sure of the name, Roosevelt's family vacation home)

Driving tour of northern Italy: Rome, Turin, Florence, Venice, Isle of Capri, etc.

Footnotally I will add that I have had the opportunity to visit several great cities in Europe for 3-4 day visits and while I recognize that you can't do justice to a great city in such a short stay, the upside is that you can see a couple spectacular things every day and be left wanting more, rather than bored with it. Paris, Madrid, Barcelona, Berlin, Copenhagen, Vienna, Frankfurt, Luxembourg, Duesseldorf. I have become a big fan of HO/HO bus tours.

I would be interested to see similar lists from others posting here. I'm looking for ideas for this summer.

Eh you lightweight. I prefer some of the places not so pretty.

Sweden: Ornskoldsvik, Malmo, Stockholm
France: Paris, Nancy, etc. Exchange student.
Germany: Up and down every inch except Berlin.
England: Ditto
Netherlands: Ditto
Luxembourg, Belgium, Denmark, Mexico, Hong Kong, Sao Paublo, Jamaica, Virgin Islands, Belize, Grand Cayman's, Cozumel, Belize, Guatemala.

I'm missing a few here, but if I could pick one summer adventure that made a lasting impression on me then it would be Sweden followed by Belize and their excellent reef.

Great Ocean Highway, Australia.

12-apostles-great-ocean-road.jpg

It was more than just the scenery, it was the friendliness. We would drive until we ran out of daylight, find a motel, and ask for a room.

The proprietors would not take our money. They would say " Stay the night, if you sleep comfortable, pay us in the morning."

What a concept.

Great Ocean Highway, Australia.

12-apostles-great-ocean-road.jpg

It was more than just the scenery, it was the friendliness. We would drive until we ran out of daylight, find a motel, and ask for a room.

The proprietors would not take our money. They would say " Stay the night, if you sleep comfortable, pay us in the morning."

What a concept.

Too many things that can kill me in OZ!

In no particular order:

Ocean cruise - Copenhagen, St Petersburg, Stockholm, Helsinki, Talinn, and Warnemuende (Germany).

Pacific Northwest driving: Seattle, Victoria, Vancouver, Mt Ranier

Guided bus tour through England, Scotland, and Wales

SoCal: a different "attraction" every day for ten days (including a two day trip up to the Hearst castle).

Colonial Williamsburg with golf - just a great place to relax.

Maine coast from Portland through Campo Bello (not sure of the name, Roosevelt's family vacation home)

Driving tour of northern Italy: Rome, Turin, Florence, Venice, Isle of Capri, etc.

Footnotally I will add that I have had the opportunity to visit several great cities in Europe for 3-4 day visits and while I recognize that you can't do justice to a great city in such a short stay, the upside is that you can see a couple spectacular things every day and be left wanting more, rather than bored with it. Paris, Madrid, Barcelona, Berlin, Copenhagen, Vienna, Frankfurt, Luxembourg, Duesseldorf. I have become a big fan of HO/HO bus tours.

I would be interested to see similar lists from others posting here. I'm looking for ideas for this summer.

Eh you lightweight. I prefer some of the places not so pretty.

Sweden: Ornskoldsvik, Malmo, Stockholm
France: Paris, Nancy, etc. Exchange student.
Germany: Up and down every inch except Berlin.
England: Ditto
Netherlands: Ditto
Luxembourg, Belgium, Denmark, Mexico, Hong Kong, Sao Paublo, Jamaica, Virgin Islands, Belize, Grand Cayman's, Cozumel, Belize, Guatemala.

I'm missing a few here, but if I could pick one summer adventure that made a lasting impression on me then it would be Sweden followed by Belize and their excellent reef.

-er

I live in Metro Detroit, MI and I like to keep my travel in Michigan. My family has a place in Greece and I went in 2000 but I haven't been back. It was nice but Michigan is where I like to spend my vacation days. Doesn't cost me $2000 and 2 days travel plus back then the $1 was worth more than the drakma but today the Euro is worth more. So Europe will never see me again.

We have a place in port Austin Michigan right on lake huron. We just spent Friday to Monday there. The perfect weekend. My buddy has 300 acres in the next town so we rode quadrunners on Saturday. My brother just bought property near boyne mountain and lake Charlavoi. That's lake Michigan.

The only time I want to leave Michigan is in the winter. 4 months suck. Lol

check out the U.P. Sealy , best place on earth !!
How did you know I've never been to the U.P.? I can't believe we own that. I think Michigan being surrounded by the great lakes has a strong argument why its the best state in the union.

Not counting Hawaii of course.

Montana, Colorado, Florida, California. Who thinks their state is the best and why?

Say I hit the lotto and want to buy a place in another state. What state and what city should I buy in?

I love the U.P. but it caters to tourists nowadays . Depends what you like but I liked it in the late 60s through early 80s when it was still pretty unregulated and wide open . I am now in the PNW and it is cool but it will never be the UP of the 60s through the early 80s . ---------- Montana or north Dakota would be my choice for wide open spaces for awhile longer in the USA . Then , after that I'd say Maine , Vermont or Alaska !!.

I love the U.P. but it caters to tourists nowadays . Depends what you like but I liked it in the late 60s through early 80s when it was still pretty unregulated and wide open . I am now in the PNW and it is cool but it will never be the UP of the 60s through the early 80s . ---------- Montana or north Dakota would be my choice for wide open spaces for awhile longer in the USA . Then , after that I'd say Maine , Vermont or Alaska !!.
Pnw?

PNW , is 'pacific north west' , lots of trees , some snow rivers . lakes , small dying ghost towns , farms , ranches , some high desert , mountains , ocean coasts .

PNW , is 'pacific north west' , lots of trees , some snow rivers . lakes , small dying ghost towns , farms , ranches , some high desert , mountains , ocean coasts .
Every state has nice places. I love America. If I hit the mega I'd spend the next 25 years going stated to state. Northern states in the summer southern states in the winters. I'd be done when I was 69.

My favorite vacation thus far I just got back from.

Went to Colorado to celebrate my 51st birthday and spent the day at Royal Gorge. Spent 60 bucks and got entrance into the park, one ride on the Sky Coaster, and one zip line ride ACROSS the Royal Gorge.

Didn't have any problem with the Sky Coaster, I'd ridden them before, and it was the same thing with a much better view.

However......................the zip line was a totally different kind of animal. I'd ridden zip lines before, but they were never more than 100 feet off of the ground. I got in the harness and flew off of the tower and looked down and saw a ledge about 400 ft. below me (I was okay with that), but then the ledge gave way and there was another cliff all the way down to the Arkansas River (which was around 1200 feet below my cable).

I then looked up, saw that I had around 200 feet left to go and started to get nervous, because it was SCARY high above that river.

After words, my room mate took us out to K-Bob's Steak House, and I found out that if you order a steak there on your birthday, you get one percent off of the price for every year you were old, so I got filet mignion at 51 percent off, and only paid 11.00 for the meal.

Good vacation!

My favorite vacation thus far I just got back from.

Went to Colorado to celebrate my 51st birthday and spent the day at Royal Gorge. Spent 60 bucks and got entrance into the park, one ride on the Sky Coaster, and one zip line ride ACROSS the Royal Gorge.

Didn't have any problem with the Sky Coaster, I'd ridden them before, and it was the same thing with a much better view.

However......................the zip line was a totally different kind of animal. I'd ridden zip lines before, but they were never more than 100 feet off of the ground. I got in the harness and flew off of the tower and looked down and saw a ledge about 400 ft. below me (I was okay with that), but then the ledge gave way and there was another cliff all the way down to the Arkansas River (which was around 1200 feet below my cable).

I then looked up, saw that I had around 200 feet left to go and started to get nervous, because it was SCARY high above that river.

After words, my room mate took us out to K-Bob's Steak House, and I found out that if you order a steak there on your birthday, you get one percent off of the price for every year you were old, so I got filet mignion at 51 percent off, and only paid 11.00 for the meal.

Good vacation!
When we went up north night 1 our friends did a huge dinner. Chicken dogs burgers and all the sides. It was nice to have night 1 taken care of. Vacations can get expensive. The next morning I took 8 people out to breakfast. $100. My bro took us to a great pizza joint and then we stopped at this roadside rib place. Huge cow in front and they sell huge turkey legs, ribs, pulled pork tacos or sandwiches., etc. I've always wanted to stop at this place and we finally did. It was amazing. Cole slaw and potato salad were my 2 sides.

Food is a huge part of any vacation. My parents would always pack and cook in the condo. Screw that. Let's go out.

So with the brisket taco and I treated the kids to putt putt I spent well under $200 for the whole weekend. Thank god my parents have a place in paradise so we don't have to rent apartments. God I'm cheap. Thanks dad!

Forum List

Back