My Best Vacations

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
In no particular order:

Ocean cruise - Copenhagen, St Petersburg, Stockholm, Helsinki, Talinn, and Warnemuende (Germany).

Pacific Northwest driving: Seattle, Victoria, Vancouver, Mt Ranier

Guided bus tour through England, Scotland, and Wales

SoCal: a different "attraction" every day for ten days (including a two day trip up to the Hearst castle).

Colonial Williamsburg with golf - just a great place to relax.

Maine coast from Portland through Campo Bello (not sure of the name, Roosevelt's family vacation home)

Driving tour of northern Italy: Rome, Turin, Florence, Venice, Isle of Capri, etc.

Footnotally I will add that I have had the opportunity to visit several great cities in Europe for 3-4 day visits and while I recognize that you can't do justice to a great city in such a short stay, the upside is that you can see a couple spectacular things every day and be left wanting more, rather than bored with it. Paris, Madrid, Barcelona, Berlin, Copenhagen, Vienna, Frankfurt, Luxembourg, Duesseldorf. I have become a big fan of HO/HO bus tours.

I would be interested to see similar lists from others posting here. I'm looking for ideas for this summer.

There a many places that I think are beautiful to visit but my favorite and i want to go in this vacation Catalina Island in California its look like heaven at the earth and i also suggest to you this place for the visit..

My best vacations were always in the wild.

A week backpacking through Glacier National Park
Desert backpacking in Canyonlands
A 10 day canoe camping trip in Maine

Personally I don't think I could take being trapped on a cruise ship for days on end

I've been from Phoenix. Arizona all the way to Tacoma

Philadelphia, Atlanta, LA

There are many best places spending summer vacation. But I like New York in America and Paris in Franc. I really like these places. Last week me and my family member visit in Paris. We are actually taken pleasure in places. We are sty in Luxembourg Parc Hotel in Paris. These hotel services was extremely high-quality and staff are also good.

In no particular order:

Ocean cruise - Copenhagen, St Petersburg, Stockholm, Helsinki, Talinn, and Warnemuende (Germany).

SoCal: a different "attraction" every day for ten days (including a two day trip up to the Hearst castle).

Maine coast from Portland through Campo Bello (not sure of the name, Roosevelt's family vacation home)

Driving tour of northern Italy: Rome, Turin, Florence, Venice, Isle of Capri, etc.

Footnotally I will add that I have had the opportunity to visit several great cities in Europe for 3-4 day visits and while I recognize that you can't do justice to a great city in such a short stay, the upside is that you can see a couple spectacular things every day and be left wanting more, rather than bored with it. Paris, Madrid, Barcelona, Berlin, Copenhagen, Vienna, Frankfurt, Luxembourg, Duesseldorf. I have become a big fan of HO/HO bus tours.

I would be interested to see similar lists from others posting here. I'm looking for ideas for this summer.

I hear Nantucket is nice!

In no particular order:

I hear Nantucket is nice!

HEY!!! I AM ON VACATION IN WASHINGTON STATE NEXT WEEK!!! You hold down the fort here!!! OK?? LOL!

I like Washington state , I like the trip from Seattle to Spokane and I like Spokane , and Cour de Alene as its all nice country . The BADLANDS before you get to Spokane is interesting but I never really checked them out but they look like desert . I hear that parts of Washington are on fire .

I like Washington state , I like the trip from Seattle to Spokane and I like Spokane , and Cour de Alene as its all nice country . The BADLANDS before you get to Spokane is interesting but I never really checked them out but they look like desert . I hear that parts of Washington are on fire .

YES Ilived I lived in Wenatchee,wa. for 22 years went to HS. there, MET THE PRETTY WIFE THERE!! BUT FAR TOO MANY CRAZY LIBERALS THERE NOW. LOL!

Back in the mid 80's (like around 86) I decided that I really liked riding a bicycle.

Around the late 80's (like around 89 when I transferred) I rode a bicycle from Memphis TN to Jacksonville FL in about 7 days.

When I transferred later, it was in the middle of winter (like around the beginning of February), so I drove from Jacksonville to my next duty station.

However.......................when summer came, I took leave in '94, and rode a bicycle from Jacksonville FL to Newport RI (and yeah............I had to deal with a storm or two).

I've also been with friends and rode a Harley from Amarillo TX to Sturgis SD on no less than 3 occasions (and trust me............after you've been to Sturgis for the second time, the third is more than enough), as well as have ridden with friends to Las Vegas and other places.

The best vacation? Riding with friends you really like (or maybe even love) over roads you've never been (because finding a new route is the best one), to find something you never thought you'd like.

Many of my travel companions have taught me things.

Pismo......I've got a funny story about Cour d'Alene you might find interesting. The family had spent a week visiting my sister-in-law and her family in Ferndale, Wash. and we were headed back home. We decided to stop in Cour d'Alene for dinner. We order the steak platter with baked potato....we're in Idaho, famous for their potatoes right? No potatoes! The restaurant had NO potatoes, except the instant kind. What a disappointment.

Last edited:

Pismo......I've got a funny story about Cour d'Alene you might find interesting. The family had spent a week visiting my sister-in-law and her family in Ferndale, Wash. and we were headed back home. We decided to stop in Cour d'Alene for dinner. We order the steak platter with baked potato....we're in Idaho, famous for their potatoes right? No potatoes! The restaurant had NO potatoes, except the instant kind. What a disappointment.

This time last year I was in a little fishing town in coastal Washington, entirely devoted to fishing, sitting in a restaurant for dinner looking out the window at all the fishing boats -- and all their fish was frozen and trucked in from parts unknown.

My consulting work has taken me all over North America to over 60 different places as far as Hawaìi, so I get a lot of "vacationing" on the job, especially when I build in extra time before or after.

Outside of that, have done Cape Breton four times for its unique culture; it never gets old. Took a side trip one of those times through PEI, speaking of potatoes, but in this case they were in the restaurant, and I'd have to say the best potatoes I'd ever had.

Got on a train with a rail pass last year to Portland (OR) and drove around Oregon, Washington and a side trip to Victoria, all very nice. My friend I did that with (and a driving trip around Ireland) keeps trying to talk me into a package tour of Scotland (she knows I want to go there) -- she keeps trying to sell me this idea even though she also knows I hate the idea of packaged tours and pre-planning anything.

But nothing beats picking up and going to France on a one-way ticket to a place I knew absolutely no one to vagabond and pick grapes. That was exhilarating. I stayed into the next year, moved to Paris for a few months and worked as an au pair boy before moving on to England.

I'm with SkullPilot; I don't want somebody else dictating where I go or what I can do on the spur of the moment. Will never do a package.

Maui was our best vacation, a different beach to explore every day with a convertible for the drive, volcanos and helicopter rides and the Drive to hana, and Black sand beaches and rocky coasts,

and then Sandals in Jamaica, then the Hilton in Jamaica, then the last one in Jamaica at a 5 star resort, (10 star as far as I am concerned if only the stars went up that far) which we did for our 20th anniversay at the Lady Hamilton....these are just relaxing vacations, where we snorkeled every day and went charter fishing or rented our own boat or just sat underneath a straw umbrella at the beach and drank pina coladas or mimosas....all day until we dropped.... :D

But most interesting vacations were in Europe.... Rome, Florence, Pisa, Bologna, Milan, Venice, Genoa, Nice, Geneva, Munich, Berchtesgaden...

we lived there, so it was easy to truck off to another city for a weekend, or for a week's vacation...

We cruised a lot too when we were younger, but mostly to the Caribbean and to Mexico....I like the slots....and the food... :)

In the USA, when we lived in Florida, we loved going down to the Keys...Islamorada, and Key West to go fishing and snorkeling, or to just visit the bars and shops on Duval Street....there's an aqua marina sea aquarium there that I got to hold and touch a nurse shark...and Mel so and so's gold museum is there from his ship wreck recovery, plus we got to see the Key deer on the drive down which are these midget deer... :D

but our best of the best mainland USA vacations all around were on the Maine Coast...the beauty, nature, cliffs, sandy beaches, bear and moose and deer and Bald Eagles and LOBSTER and sea glass pickings, are second to none....!!! :D

and THAT is why we moved here.

Last edited:
Maui was our best vacation, a different beach to explore every day with a convertible for the drive, volcanos and helicopter rides and the Drive to hana, and Black sand beaches and rocky coasts,

and then Sandals in Jamaica, then the Hilton in Jamaica, then the last one in Jamaica at a 5 star resort, (10 star as far as I am concerned if only the stars went up that far) which we did for our 20th anniversay at the Lady Hamilton....these are just relaxing vacations, where we snorkeled every day and went charter fishing or rented our own boat or just sat underneath a straw umbrella at the beach and drank pina coladas or mimosas....all day until we dropped.... :D

But most interesting vacations were in Europe.... Rome, Florence, Pisa, Bologna, Milan, Venice, Genoa, Nice, Geneva, Munich, Berchtesgaden...

we lived there, so it was easy to truck off to another city for a weekend, or for a week's vacation...

We cruised a lot too when we were younger, but mostly to the Caribbean and to Mexico....I like the slots....and the food... :)

In the USA, when we lived in Florida, we loved going down to the Keys...Islamorada, and Key West to go fishing and snorkeling, or to just visit the bars and shops on Duval Street....there's an aqua marina sea aquarium there that I got to hold and touch a nurse shark...and Mel so and so's gold museum is there from his ship wreck recovery, plus we got to see the Key deer on the drive down which are these midget deer... :D

but our best of the best mainland USA vacations all around were on the Maine Coast...the beauty, nature, cliffs, sandy beaches, bear and moose and deer and Bald Eagles and LOBSTER and sea glass pickings, are second to none....!!! :D

Where did you find sea glass in Maine? Curious.

I'll trade you a gold mine spot in Nova Scotia.... :eusa_angel:

oh my gosh, just incredible sea glass at 2 spots....one called fort point state park, the other beach is in Castine....both at the mouth of Penobscot Bay/River...only on either side of it.

We used to have a ferry going over to Nova Scotia from Bar Harbor, but closed after 9/11 when passports or rfid chip driver's licenses were required....Maine sued the fed, refusing to put the chips in them as a federal national id over reach, so our driver's licenses were no good on reentry to the country....closed the ferry... but Maine lost their suit or quit it when the fed paid them off with some perk...? :( So the ferry was suppose to start up again up here....this year I think....?

Isn't ''the money pit'' on Nova Scotia?

oh, no less than 50 pieces of sea glass each visit!

Last edited:

oh my gosh, just incredible sea glass at 2 spots....one called fort point state park, the other beach is in Castine....both at the mouth of Penobscot Bay/River...only on either side of it.

We used to have a ferry going over to Nova Scotia from Bar Harbor, but closed after 9/11 when passports or rfid chip driver's licenses were required....Maine sued the fed, refusing to put the chips in them as a federal national id over reach, so our driver's licenses were no good on reentry to the country....closed the ferry... but Maine lost their suit or quit it when the fed paid them off with some perk...? :( So the ferry was suppose to start up again up here....this year I think....?

I don't know what the "money pit" is - never heard of it. I have heard of that ferry, never took it; I drove across every time via Calais into St. Stephen. The ferry was pretty expensive as I remember from researching.

Good for Maine for at least partially standing up. Wasn't that long ago you could drive into Canada and didn't even need to take your car out of gear.

Anyway -- the beach around Inverness on the northwest coast of Cape Breton. I'm pretty sure that's where it was but I'll confirm. Bodaciously bounteous booties of sea glass. :)

I don't know what the "money pit" is - never heard of it. I have heard of that ferry, never took it; I drove across every time via Calais into St. Stephen. The ferry was pretty expensive as I remember from researching.

Good for Maine for at least partially standing up. Wasn't that long ago you could drive into Canada and didn't even need to take your car out of gear.

Anyway -- the beach around Inverness on the northwest coast of Cape Breton. I'm pretty sure that's where it was but I'll confirm. Bodaciously bounteous booties of sea glass. :)
fyi

Oak Island - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Forum List

Back