Muslims in military seek a bridge between worlds

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by WillowTree, Nov 11, 2009.

1. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,779
    U.S. Muslim service members say they stand out in both their worlds.

Among fellow troops, that can mean facing ethnic taunts, awkward questions about spiritual practices and a structure that is not set up to accommodate their worship. Among Muslims, the questions can be more profound: How can a Muslim participate in killing other Muslims in such places as Iraq and Afghanistan?

Just 3,557 members of the 1.4 million-member U.S. armed forces describe themselves as Muslim, and followers of Islam said the military is just starting to accommodate them by recruiting Muslim chaplains, creating Muslim prayer spaces and educating other troops about Islam.

Muslims in the military seek bridge between worlds - washingtonpost.com

This is an all volunteer military. Nobody forces anyone to join. Muslims know about the wars, why do they join? and that question was predicated on those who joined post 9-11.

2. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,030
    There is no religious requirement to be released from fighting fellow Muslims. Doesn't exist in the Muslim world shouldn't exist in the US. Any Muslim in service now KNEW what we were doing and where BEFORE they joined.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  3. Navy1960

Navy1960 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    Let me see if I understand this, every single member of the US Military at some point including those of the Muslim faith went to a recruiter somewhere and joined the Military , knowing in a lot of cases the Military was deployed in combat operations around the world and in Muslim nations as well. Knowing this, they signed all the paperwork needed to join, then raised their hands and were sworn in, and attended whatever training was needed bootcamp, OCS, USMA, whatever. So now, we need to have special consideration for those members of whatever faith they happen to be, because of where we are deployed? I have a much better idea, DON'T JOIN~~ and if your already in, do the honorable thing and do your job that you knowingly signed up to do.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. GHook93

GHook93 Aristotle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,932
    Exactly, German, Italian and Japanese Americans could get out fighting (and the VAST majority didn't bat an eye) Germany, Italy and Japan respectfully. In fact, many of them enlisted to fight the old country and many were drafted!

5. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,779
    correct me if I'm wrong but don't military inductees swear to defend and uphold the constitution?

6. Navy1960

Navy1960 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    Everyone of those , including Muslims have given their very lives for this nation serving honorably where they were ordered to go. I have always felt that because our military is a professional military now and has been for sometime and not one where young people are drafted into it. To join, then complain about the mission as being against one's beliefs , just makes me want to ask, " what do you think the US Military does? " I salute all those hard working young men and women of ALL faiths who serve daily and who have given their lives in defense of this nation and deserve our thanks for their sacrifice and all this noise about special considerations based on belief structure has no place in the Military and again, I will just say , if it is that much of an issue then pass by the local recruiters office.

7. Navy1960

Navy1960 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    Here you are Willow;

"I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

"I, _____ (SSAN), having been appointed an officer in the Army of the United States, as indicated above in the grade of _____ do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservations or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office upon which I am about to enter; So help me God."

One is enlisted, one is Officers.

8. Contessa_Sharra

Contessa_Sharra Searcher for Accuracy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +147
    Japanes Americans in WWII were not allowed to fight in the Pacific area until late in the war. They served in Europe in the 442, the 522 and the 100th Infantry Battalion. They also in the Military Intelligence Service.

Densho: The Japanese American Legacy Project

The Conflict Behind the Battle Lines / The Japanese Americans who fought in World War II were engaged in another, private battle, against prejudice and misunderstandings

WWII: The Japanese American Experience : American Veterans Center

9. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,030
    Which has absolutely nothing to do with this discussion.

10. GHook93

GHook93 Aristotle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,932
    And blacks couldn't eat at restaurants with Whites! It was a different time! That should take away from the fact that the Japanese American soldiers fought with extreme courage and love for their country!