Multiple Pedestrians Ignore Dying New York Hero

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by froggy, Apr 25, 2010.

1. froggy

froggy Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,632
  2. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +350
    Saw this very same thing happen to a man in Philadelphia in the mid 1990's. I parked in a garage and headed for a restaurant before seeing a client in a medical center, which is directly across the street from where I observed people on their way to work etc stepping over a man laying crosswise on the sidewalk, shirt up, and slashed across the stomach, I immediately went into the restaurant and called for an ambulance. And what is more disturbing, is some of the people stepping over this man went into the medical center! Employees? I have no clue but, WTF's with people anyway?

Nothing to do with New York City inhabitants, it's the insensitivity of people all over and it's nothing new. Hopefully they will get their turn and no one to call for them.

3. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Real Christian compassion for their fellow man popping out all over America.
    Had they been Muslims they would have just finished the guy off?

4. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    It's not New York. It's not even America. I saw a guy collapse a while ago in London. No one helped him either. It was rush hour, there were precisely three people who stopped to help... and one of those was a Yank (me).

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  5. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    He was latino from the look of his name, maybe they thought he was illegal

6. boedicca

boedicca Uppity Water Nymph Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,718

Oh yeah. Cuz New York City is the nexus of Christian Theology in America.

The scene is actually more reflective of the lack of community in secular big government worshiping, urban areas. The residents expect the government to handle it.

I doubt you would see a similar incident in Fargo, North Dakota.

7. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    Where do you live?

8. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    It wasn't AZ, it was that bastion of liberalism.... New York. It appears that your attitude that the government is responsible for everyone is catching on in NYC.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,824
    [youtube]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YmknOKkaPEI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YmknOKkaPEI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

10. Liability

Liability Locked Account. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,063
    A couple of clicked links will get you to this website: A homeless man dies and nearly 25 people in Queens keep walking by - NYPOST.com

There you can see the surveillance video image of the incident.

Nobody should just walk past a guy lying on the ground, but it is a common enough experience in NY City where (despite lots of available homeless shelters) many homeless folks prefer to sleep on the street. Since they are often either mentally disturbed individuals or drug addicts, it is something lots of New Yorkers learn to do: walk past them.

One time I saw a guy lie down in a bus shelter right outside the restaurant I was in to grab some lunch. My view from the restaurant street side window gave me a clear view of how nobody approached the guy. So, I called 9-1-1 using my cell phone. The guys I was with thought I was being a bit goofy.

Maybe they were right. It took some time, but eventually an EMS (Fire Department) ambulance rolled up to the bus stop and the EMTs attended to the guy. It took a while to awaken him. Eventually (before I finished lunch) he had gotten some treatment inside the ambulance and was back out on the street walking away. At this, my buddies noted that I had just been an alarmist.

Unless they saw that the guy down on the sidewalk in the video was bleeding, I think most New Yorkers behaved normally by walking past him. But "normal" and "right" are not always the same thing.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1