MSM Coverage On A New Milblogger

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
He's been blogging for awhile, now he's going over 'there.'

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_5598595,00.html

Fort Carson major, sir, has a job to do in the post-9/11 world
Javier Manzano © News

By David Montero, Rocky Mountain News
June 22, 2007

Readers of RockyMountainNews.com will be able to follow those efforts, because Olmsted will be blogging about his efforts and experiences beginning today.

Olmsted calls himself "the intellectual runt" of his family. His father has a doctorate in chemical engineering, his mother has a master's in mathematics and teaches at the Milwaukee School of Engineering. His brother has a doctorate in economics. His wife has a master's degree in biology.

"I'm struggling along with a bachelor's degree," he said.

The 37-year-old augments his self-described lack of education by reading voraciously, consuming books like Restoring the Lost Constitution by Randy Barnett and The Future and Its Enemies by Virginia Postrel. The last one will send Olmsted into a short, passionate soliloquy about people who embrace stasis and those who follow dynamism.

It doesn't take long to note that political theory is an Olmsted fascination.

"It's hard to have a conversation with him without it coming out," said Maj. Dave Willis, a friend who has known him since college. "He gets much more into details than I tend to, but we also tend to bounce ideas off each other. He'll kill me for saying this, but he tends to be a little more liberal than me and I tend to approach from the pragmatic, engineering perspective."

Forum List

Back