Movies You Think Should Have Gotten Wider Aclaim

Last of The Mohicans
BladeRunner
Year of Living Dangerously

PS Abbey I loved "Overboard", very funny movie as was "Office Space"

I think instead of aclaim this thread should be what movies should be more popular then they are because a few of the movies that are listed are highly praised movies (United Flt 93, 28 days later) and a few are oscar nominees or winners or they won other awards as well aka Blade Runner and The Last of the Mohicans

I think instead of aclaim this thread should be what movies should be more popular then they are because a few of the movies that are listed are highly praised movies (United Flt 93, 28 days later) and a few are oscar nominees or winners or they won other awards as well aka Blade Runner and The Last of the Mohicans

Convince me. It's not just awards, but the public did not buy into these movies. That is what I'm getting at.

If you do convince me, I'll change the title.

28 Days Later did get some acclaim when it came out, but it didn't do well, and it did not get the respect it rightfully deserves. This is just my opinion, of course, but I think it deserves a place among the best horror films ever made (The Exorcist, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, etc.). Besides, I don't really care about what critics thought, or "national acclaim" or whatever.

28 Days Later did get some acclaim when it came out, but it didn't do well, and it did not get the respect it rightfully deserves. This is just my opinion, of course, but I think it deserves a place among the best horror films ever made (The Exorcist, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, etc.). Besides, I don't really care about what critics thought, or "national acclaim" or whatever.

Ah but the producers do! Especially box office.

the country did buy into these movies and they are highly priased. all ratings are out of 10 and are from imdb:

Team America 7.3/10 (26,780 votes)
United Flight 93 7.8/10 (9,557 votes)
World Trade Center 7.2/10 (2,925 votes)
The Red Violin 7.7/10 (8,714 votes)
Immortal Beloved 7.0/10 (5,032 votes)
Office Space 7.7/10 (37,551 votes)
Overboard 6.1/10 (6,773 votes)
Josie and the Pussycats 5.1/10 (5,912 votes)
28 Days Later 7.3/10 (34,563 votes)
Last of The Mohicans 7.6/10 (20,355 votes)
Blade Runner 8.3/10 (92,549 votes) #99 0n the imdb.com best 250 ever
Year of Living Dangerously 7.0/10 (4,360 votes)

now all of these films recived high praise (except Josie) as noted by their rankings. they are just outside on the list of the best 250 ever on imdb.com list that ranges from:

1. 9.1 The Godfather (1972) 173,296

to

250. 7.8 The Insider (1999) 37,251

and it's not the vote total that gives the ranking it's the average star total given to each movie. now they box office number aren't that high but they are highly praised movies otherwise they wouldn't be in the 7 range. i mean how many best oscar winners don't get that big of box office draws but in order for them to win they were highly aclaimed movies.

the country did buy into these movies and they are highly priased. all ratings are out of 10 and are from imdb:

Team America 7.3/10 (26,780 votes)
United Flight 93 7.8/10 (9,557 votes)
World Trade Center 7.2/10 (2,925 votes)
The Red Violin 7.7/10 (8,714 votes)
Immortal Beloved 7.0/10 (5,032 votes)
Office Space 7.7/10 (37,551 votes)
Overboard 6.1/10 (6,773 votes)
Josie and the Pussycats 5.1/10 (5,912 votes)
28 Days Later 7.3/10 (34,563 votes)
Last of The Mohicans 7.6/10 (20,355 votes)
Blade Runner 8.3/10 (92,549 votes) #99 0n the imdb.com best 250 ever
Year of Living Dangerously 7.0/10 (4,360 votes)

now all of these films recived high praise (except Josie) as noted by their rankings. they are just outside on the list of the best 250 ever on imdb.com list that ranges from:

1. 9.1 The Godfather (1972) 173,296

to

250. 7.8 The Insider (1999) 37,251

and it's not the vote total that gives the ranking it's the average star total given to each movie. now they box office number aren't that high but they are highly praised movies otherwise they wouldn't be in the 7 range. i mean how many best oscar winners don't get that big of box office draws but in order for them to win they were highly aclaimed movies.

What motivates someone to plunk down their $8-11.50? That's the only thing that counts.

Ah but the producers do! Especially box office.

box office doesn't equal acclaim. look at Armageddon. rated 5.7/10 (58,023 votes) but it made $201,573,391 . but if you look at The Shawshank Redemption rated 9.1/10 (208,883 votes) which gives it the 2 spot out of 250. it only made 28,341,469 but it was nominated for 7 oscars including best picture.

box office doesn't equal acclaim. look at Armageddon. rated 5.7/10 (58,023 votes) but it made $201,573,391 . but if you look at The Shawshank Redemption rated 9.1/10 (208,883 votes) which gives it the 2 spot out of 250. it only made 28,341,469 but it was nominated for 7 oscars including best picture.

How much after VCR/DVD? In any case, we are speaking of people going out to see the movie.

BTW I may be off by a bit, but United 93 coming out in DVD 9/5.

What motivates someone to plunk down their $8-11.50? That's the only thing that counts.

Acclaim ,awards and word of mouth which is why i said this thread should changed. all the movies listed so far are highly acclaimed,award winning films yet some are not wide know. highly acclaimed yet unknown.

Acclaim ,awards and word of mouth which is why i said this thread should changed. all the movies listed so far are highly acclaimed,award winning films yet some are not wide know. highly acclaimed yet unknown.

Which is the point of the thread.

How much after VCR/DVD? In any case, we are speaking of people going out to see the movie.

BTW I may be off by a bit, but United 93 coming out in DVD 9/5.

those number are their final box office gross numbers. that's why i posted shawshank. it got great reviews but it tanked. after it recieved acclaim at awards shows people started talking about it and it became a hit later on. the same with office space. it tanked but made it's mark later on. same with 28 later. highly praised yet it tanked. people found that movie though word of mouth and it's a cult hit. it's a highly praised movie that should be popular then it is.

those number are their final box office gross numbers. that's why i posted shawshank. it got great reviews but it tanked. after it recieved acclaim at awards shows people started talking about it and it became a hit later on. the same with office space. it tanked but made it's mark later on. same with 28 later. highly praised yet it tanked. people found that movie though word of mouth and it's a cult hit. it's a highly praised movie that should be popular then it is.

If they all fell within that, I would change the title, but most don't. I loved Team America, I own the DVD, I don't know too many that have seen it or want to.

Which is the point of the thread.

if that's the point then none of the movies listed should be on these lists since they are already highly acclaimed movies. the only movie listed so far that hasn't been praised by any critics and recieved no acclaim at all is Josie and the pussy cats which is why its at a 5 whatever other then that all the movies listed are all oscar or bafta winners and are highly priased.

if that's the point then none of the movies listed should be on these lists since they are already highly acclaimed movies. the only movie listed so far that hasn't been praised by any critic and recieved no acclaim at all is Josie and the pussy cats other then that all the movies listed are all oscar or bafta winners are are highly priased.

That isn't what it's about, feel free to start your own thread. :thup:

Already listed..
Team America
Overboard

Some of my favorites, I don’t know about public acclaim but I liked em.

Beaches…. (1988) Bette Midler
The Sixth Sense
City of Angels…. (1998) Meg Ryan
Steel Magnolias…(1989)
Terms of Endearment…..(1983)
My Girl (1991) Jamie Lee Curtis

That isn't what it's about, feel free to start your own thread. :thup:

how is this not what it's about? acclaim=praise. all the movies are highly acclaimed movies. it's not like beavis and butthead do america is listed and someone asking why did the critics hate this film. we've got united 93 which is one of the most acclaimed films of the enitre year! a 173 reviews almost all singing it's praise.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/united_93/?beg=0&int=140&creamcrop_limit=36&page=all

Forum List

Back