movie Fargo

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
I like the movie. Steve Buscemi is amazing as the bad guy. Some accounts claim that the movie is based on a true story but it's doubtful. How could the Macy character keep the kidnapping secret with a teen age son and his father in law knowing about it? When his father in law is killed Macy arrives on the scene and opens the trunk. Did he ride away with his father in law's body and go to work the next day?

Fargo is a priceless bouquet of different characters reacting to pressures that life placed upon them. Acting is great, cinematography is great.

But not for kids.

Excellent film obviously very loosely based on a kidnapping/murder.
Very loosely. The notion of a car salesman fudging numbers and the wood chipper based on a story from another state. For most part pure fiction.
How much of ‘Fargo’ is actually based on a true story?
However.
Idiots were crawling around the Brainard lakes area looking for the money after the movie came out.
Apparently the gal in the link had the wrong state.
Many in MN were offended by the movie as they believed it depicted Minnesotans as idiots with a heavy accent and showed the state as some barren winter wasteland. Around Fargo /Moorehead area it is a barren windswept wasteland.

I found it hilarious and have enjoyed every season of the show.
The Coen brothers are of the area and have a good feel for the culture here.

I like the movie. Steve Buscemi is amazing as the bad guy. Some accounts claim that the movie is based on a true story but it's doubtful. How could the Macy character keep the kidnapping secret with a teen age son and his father in law knowing about it? When his father in law is killed Macy arrives on the scene and opens the trunk. Did he ride away with his father in law's body and go to work the next day?

The “based on a true story” bit, I understand, is sort of an inside joke among those involved in making the movie. The story is entirely fictitious, with the only thing bearing any connection to any real story is that near the end, one villain kills another, cuts the body up, and runs it through a wood chipper; echoing a real-life news story in which the husband of an airline stewardess allegedly did something similar to his wife.

The difference between a fairy tale and a movie.

A fairy tale starts, 'Once upon a time...'

A movie starts, 'Based on a true story...'

How did the lonely Asian guy in the restaurant figure in the plot? It didn't really make sense unless it was a sub-plot that they scrapped.

How did the lonely Asian guy in the restaurant figure in the plot? It didn't really make sense unless it was a sub-plot that they scrapped.
Can't remember.
I just remember it was funny he spoke with the midwest accent.
"Ya sure...you betcha."
"You're darn tootin "

It's a vignette.
As far as I know a "vignette" is a separate little movie within a movie and it doesn't apply here. It's part of the plot but it's a distraction and doesn't make much sense unless it was greatly edited.

Very loosely. The notion of a car salesman fudging numbers and the wood chipper based on a story from another state. For most part pure fiction.
However.
Idiots were crawling around the Brainard lakes area looking for the money after the movie came out.
Many in MN were offended by the movie as they believed it depicted Minnesotans as idiots with a heavy accent and showed the state as some barren winter wasteland. Around Fargo /Moorehead area it is a barren windswept wasteland.

Oh dear, were Minnesotians really offended by the stereotype heavy accents in the movie? Where the hell have they been for the last hundred years? Hollywood is about stereotypes and they got off easy.

However.

Oh dear, were Minnesotians really offended by the stereotype heavy accents in the movie? Where the hell have they been for the last hundred years? Hollywood is about stereotypes and they got off easy.
It did portray folks here as inept at getting away with murder.
Hard to dispose of a body when the frost is in ground.
Woodchippers are a necessity.

However.

You got the Highway Patrol officer and the two witnesses. The ticket taker at the parking lot and the father in law in Jerry's trunk to deal with. Actually some killers put their victims in freezers. The wood chipper was typical H'wood drama and it worked. Imagine the first highway worker or local in the spring coming across the briefcase full of money.

However.

You got the Highway Patrol officer and the two witnesses. The ticket taker at the parking lot and the father in law in Jerry's trunk to deal with. Actually some killers put their victims in freezers. The wood chipper was typical H'wood drama and it worked. Imagine the first highway worker or local in the spring coming across the briefcase full of money.

I don't know if you watched the television show "Fargo" but they took the money and used that in their first season...

Great movie.

Most movies based on true stories are mostly fiction.

Forum List

Back