MOVIE: American Psycho

Bonzi

Diamond Member
May 17, 2015
Has anyone seen this (it's an older movie with Christian Bale)

What did you think of it? (I HAVE seen it, I'm just wondering ....)

Great study of someone living an alternate reality. Resembles in that sense another great film that I will not name because it would constitute a spoiler for those who haven't seen it.

It seemed almost over the top comical to me. Maybe I was not taking it in the spirit it was intended?

I saw it before. He was one demented bastard. I hated the ending though, where you were left not too sure whether he actually did any of those things or just imagined it all. Either way though, he was a very sick man!

I have not read the book, I'm sure I would be more intrigued by that. Dunno, maybe it's also because it's an older movie ... I'd like to see a remake actually ...

I have seen it. I read the book when it came out. There was a big deal because of the violence towards women and the homeless guy. It was narrated by the serial killer which flipped all good and decent people out. The book was behind the counter and you had to ask for it. There is far greater detail in the book. I am not so sure that any movie adaptation can successfully pull that off. OTOH I was 21 when the book came out and I haven't reread it so maybe that too might be a bit cornball-ish.

I have seen it. I read the book when it came out. There was a big deal because of the violence towards women and the homeless guy. It was narrated by the serial killer which flipped all good and decent people out. The book was behind the counter and you had to ask for it. There is far greater detail in the book. I am not so sure that any movie adaptation can successfully pull that off. OTOH I was 21 when the book came out and I haven't reread it so maybe that too might be a bit cornball-ish.

IOW, as is 99% of the time, movie did not do book justice.

I saw snippets and flipped the channel, blech. I'll hazard a guess the book is as bad or worse than Stephen King, so no thx.

I've seen it. Its OK to Good? Not great.

Mr. Brooks is way better IMVHO. I don't know why I like movies like these? I've been stuck home more last 10 years. I have movie channels on cable.

Last edited:

IOW, as is 99% of the time, movie did not do book justice.

I saw snippets and flipped the channel, blech. I'll hazard a guess the book is as bad or worse than Stephen King, so no thx.

I am not a Stephen King fan but his stuff is fantastical. It can be creepy but it is unrealistic. Stephen King's story can be told in 250 pages. The other 800 + is bs detail that you don't miss until they make a movie. Telling a story from the viewpoint of a serial killer with as much graphic detail as it did was way creepier simply because of the possibility.

My BFF loved horror books and we traded books often. When American Psycho first came out, it appeared there were a lot of people that wanted to ban it, and rebels that we were, rushed right out to the book store and bought it- much to the dismay of the lady at the bookstore. The feminist movement at that time did not approve.

Btw: there is an "American Physco 2" out there. College girl. Also not great. But sort of comically interesting in the same way as the Bale movie. I may not have the correct name above?

Mr. Brooks is way better IMVHO. I don't know why I like movies like these? I've been stuck home more last 10 years. I have movie channels on cable.
I like them too, and I'm not stuck at home. I love movies and documentaries on serial killers also

I like them too, and I'm not stuck at home. I love movies and documentaries on serial killers also

American Pyscho seemed like a peek into Wall st. excesses. His secy was very sexy hot interesting also.

Forum List

Back