Moveon.org

Discussion in 'Politics' started by manifold, Jun 25, 2008.

1. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,819
    If you missed the Daily Show last night, Stewart delivered a pretty fun quip about moveon.org.

"Moveon.org, ten years of making even people who agree with you cringe"

:rofl:

I almost feel like I should educate myself about this organization beyond the odd flame about them posted here...almost. :D

2. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,819
    OK, as much as I joke about it, I do honestly abhor ignorance so I went ahead and at least read what they have to say about themselves.

Of course they're going to be complimentary about themselves, but on the surface, it doesn't seem nearly as offensive as I've been told. I don't necessarily agree with all of their causes, but the idea of getting regular people more involved in the democratic process seems like a noble endeavor to me.

MoveOn.org: Democracy in Action

The question is: What don't I know that makes them dangerous?

3. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,846
    I used to belong to them. I admire them recently for tell Obama to quit being a weasel on telecom immunity.

4. AtlasShrieked

AtlasShrieked Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I think that was the defense of Maximilien Robespierre, before, during and after the French revolution.
    :eusa_whistle:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  5. hjmick

hjmick Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,122
    Mani, you and I both know that you now know everything you need to know about them. Any information you may find denouncing them will be from sources you strongly disagree with and will find fault with thus nullifying what the say.

You saw the commercial on Stewart's show, you heard what the young mother said. You know what McCain said and, if you're honest, you know that the words they are using about the one hundred years in Iraq have been taken out of context and twisted to suit their needs. If you're okay with that, then I'd say you're all set.

Personally, I abhor those types of tactics from either side. For this reason I do not get involved with organized political groups, opting instead to draw my own conclusions about issues and candidates and voting for those that I feel will best serve me and my family. Sadly, this political season is offering me nothing.

I miss Tom Bradley.

6. AtlasShrieked

AtlasShrieked Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14
    what political season offered different?

btw, I like what they are doing. I just have an issue with the press taking sides or staying silent and therefore becoming part of the problem.

7. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,819
    There are about 4 or 5 people here who's opinions I value. I would consider only 2 of them as typically in agreement with me on the "issues." As I get to know others that number may increase. But you are partially correct, there are many many many here that will undoubtedly denounce them out of hand and I will in turn ignore anything they have to say. But not just about this, about anything and everything since they've proven themselves to be blind, unthinking partisan drones.

8. hjmick

hjmick Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,122
    True. It has been a while since there was a candidate I wanted to vote for rather than one I wanted to vote against.

9. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,819
    Same goes for me. That's why I'm actually pretty stoked about having two candidates that I'm actually comfortable with this time.

10. hjmick

hjmick Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,122
    I was actually thinking more of what you might find on the Web rather than here or on any other message board. Hell, I wouldn't base any decision on the opinions of message board members, mine included. :D