Mouse Economy

Discussion in 'Economy' started by ipaps, Jan 24, 2013.

1. ipaps

ipaps Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Pretty much every mouse(pointer device) I've used is broken because one of it's clicking buttons stopped responding. When the pads on it's downwards side is worn out, a mouse gets difficult to move but it's still usable. When the buttons are broken it has to be thrown away. These parts are cheap compare to the optical module and should have no problem been made replaceable. The question is: why have them not already been made replaceable?

By making it replaceable, we can keep the optical module alive, saving resources and work time needed to re-produce them. This should greatly increase the efficiency regarding to what we input and what we get.

My sister says that sometimes even if we find a more efficient way of doing things, we can't do that because people will lost their job. Those saved cost usually end up meaning less work time is needed. This is indeed very true in life. My colleague did tend to get angry when I find better ways of doing things, they want the old ways even if a much efficient one is just out there, no one want's to lose their job.

There is also a saying that corporations don't want to make their products too durable. Because if they do, they end up won't profit enough. It pretty much sounds like as a whole we just have to wast a lot so we can make a lot.

What's the reason behind this? Selfish? Lack of good regulations? Or is it actually MORE EFFICIENT and I'm just blind?

2. EdwardBaiamonte

EdwardBaiamonte Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,065
    dear, we have made progress since the stone age!! If a company sells a less durable product or a more expensive product they will go out of business thanks to Republican capitalist competition!!

Got it now??

3. BillSPrestonEsq

BillSPrestonEsq Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Fuck you

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. BillSPrestonEsq

BillSPrestonEsq Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I would say that it is more profitable to sell a whole mouse for $25 more or less rather than sell parts. The operating costs to run that side of the business I don't think would be worth it since most people can't or don't want to repair their own mouse.

5. BillSPrestonEsq

BillSPrestonEsq Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Another thing is if people wanted a mouse that didn't break but costs more there would be more on the market, though I'm sure you could find a few. It's like asking why there are so many McDonalds out there. People want to buy cheeseburgers for cheap, and they want them NOW.

6. ipaps

ipaps Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Those buttons are already in standardized size and shape, they don't even need to be changed much to be both soldiering and socket compatible. They can be supplied by electronic stores that also supply resistance, LED, etc. It's not easy to replace them right now, but once it's made easy, I think ppl will prefer these kind. I can even shoot for a high-end ones if i know it can last much longer.

I have never ever seen a single mouse with replaceable button. Shouldn't A high accuracy wifi 2d wheel one worthwhile to be durable? Instead, there are tutorials on internet that teaches how to replace buttons by soldiering.

I think I get your point now, it's just not profitable. But can a company sell a mouse with replaceable buttons 1.5 the money of a normal one? It's still wierd. I mean, if replaceable buttons is incorporated early in the history of the mouse design, is it possible that we'd all be used to mice with replaceable buttons now?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  7. SteadyMercury

SteadyMercury Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,526
    The reason mice don't have buttons that can be replaced is right here:

V7 M30P10-7N Standard USB Mouse - Walmart.com

When the consumer can go to the nearest mass merchandiser and buy a new mouse for less than someone earning minimum wage takes home for an hour's work, they aren't going to be interested in taking it to a repair shop or buying parts to fiddle with.

It is the same way for many consumer goods. People used to repair toasters, now we just drop $20 on a new one. People used to get scissors sharpened, now most people will just throw away old ones and buy another cheapo three pack. Even computers, I'm typing this post on a chromebook I bought new for $250, if it broke past the warranty I'd probably just throw it out and buy a new one.

There is always a price point where the toss vs. repair decision favors tossing, both from a practical sense and a general laziness sense. The manufacturer of a product is aware of this and won't waste resources attending to a consumer need that just isn't there.

8. SteadyMercury

SteadyMercury Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,526
    Heh dude just look at it as entertainment. With people like Special Ed you have a window into the sad existence of someone who can only see the world in shades of political spectrum and ideological posturing. Observing his behavior is kinda like being at the zoo.

OP made an interesting thread, don't let pathetic mental case derail it.

9. ipaps

ipaps Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I guess I'm eccentric then. I'd tear down the buttons on those cheep mice and soldier them on the one I'm using. lol

10. EdwardBaiamonte

EdwardBaiamonte Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,065
    you have the IQ of a liberal!!