Most undeserving best picture winners

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by elvis, Dec 17, 2009.

1. elvis

elvis BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,303
    Chariots of Fire.

2. Xenophon

Xenophon Gone and forgotten

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,751
    The worst one I remember is Cosner winning for that dopey 'dances with wolves' over the greatest mob movie eva, 'Goodfellas.'

3. mudwhistle

mudwhistle Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26,276
    Got a few...."Slumdog Millionaire, Midnight Cowboy, Annie Hall, American Beauty, A Beautiful Mind, Million Dollar Baby"

And in the documentary catagory "An Inconvenient Truth" because it's based on half-truths and photo-shopping.

The worst year for nominees 2007.

Winner 2007 No Country for Old Men - Miramax & Paramount Vantage - Scott Rudin, Ethan Coen, Joel Coen
    Atonement - Focus Features - Tim Bevan, Eric Fellner, Paul Webster
    Juno - Fox Searchlight - Lianne Halfon, Mason Novick, Russell Smith
    Michael Clayton - Warner Bros. - Jennifer Fox, Kerry Orent, Sydney Pollack
    There Will Be Blood - Paramount Vantage & Miramax - Paul Thomas Anderson, Daniel Lupi, JoAnne Sellar

Thank God No Country for Old Men won.

4. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    Dances With Wolves was Oscar-worthy.

I've never made it through Chariots of Fire. A Beautiful Mind was good but I don't remember what it was up against. I think Crowe should have gotten an oscar, I don't know if the movie should have.

Slumdog Millionaire, like what the hell were they thinking?

5. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,531
    '98 Shakespeare in Love
    '96 The English patient
    '85 Out of Africa
    '83 Terms of Endearment

6. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,926
    Schindler's List

7. mudwhistle

mudwhistle Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26,276
    Political Statement.....

Friggen ridiculous the way the voters seem to think a film's political theme is more important then the content....the acting....the art direction.....the script....the cinematography....the entertainment value. "There Will Be Blood" was one of the most awful films I've ever seen.
    To be honest....the Oscars is about cash and popularity. It's certainly not about achievement.

8. Jon

Jon The CPA

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,281
    Schindler's List was a fucking amazing film. Best of all time, in my opinion. You fail at life, sir.

Last year proved that is not the case. Slumdog Millionaire certainly did not have the financial clout to force itself into the Oscars. The fact that it beat Milk, which had Hollywood themes and the clout of Sean Penn behind it, still amazes me.

While I admit that Slumdog was not the most deserving winner ever, it was certainly the best of last year's options. Frost/Nixon was a film based on taped interviews. NO ONE was going to vote for that. The Reader was not a well made movie. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button was literally like watching a remake of Forrest Gump (same writer, same story, same themes). The only competition Slumdog had was Milk. And I guess we learned from Brokeback Mountain that Hollywood isn't as in love with gays as they pretend to be.

Now, to my list of undeserving winners:

Chicago - I know the Academy was holding out on Lord of the Rings to award Jackson in the third film, but The Two Towers was by far the best of the trilogy. Aside from that, Gangs of New York was a MUCH better film than Chicago, as was The Pianist.

Gandhi - I like the movie, but beating E.T. for Best Picture was a fucking joke.

Dances with Wolves - Over Goodfellas, Ghost, AND Godfather III, was this a joke?

The English Patient - Over Fargo, what?!

Rocky - Stallone is one of the worst actors, ever. De Niro is one of the best actors, ever, and Taxi Driver was one of his best roles, ever. This was a travesty.

Gone with the Wind - Yes, I went there. The Wizard of Oz was robbed. Enough said.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,531
    I understand why Gone with the Wind won in 1939, it was an epic and wildly popular movie. I remember it being rereleased in movie theaters up until the 1970s.

Watching it now shows it did not age well. The story is nothing more than a soap opera and much of the acting was laughable (Butterfly McQueen?). The Wizard of Oz is timeless and still worth watching over and over.
    The movie I prefer is "Of Mice and Men" If all three were on TV at the same time, I'd watch George and Lenny

10. noose4

noose4 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +610
    The exact movie I was thinking of before I clicked into this thread.