Most amazing thing about WW2

ginscpy

Sep 10, 2010
The land masses of the main 3 Axis countries against the 3 main Allied countries: Germany (smaller than Oregon), Japan (smaller than Calif) Italy (smaller than Washington)

United States, Soviet Union (how many time zones) British Commonwealth (sun never sets on the British Empire)

I wish I had been born in the 1920s to experience real history - much like Gen X wished they had lived the 50s and 60s

Today blows

Even if Hitler had conquered Britain and Russia - would have had the USA to deal with

Watched Victory At War - TheUS Navy was AN AWESOME STUFF>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Japs had no chance.

Germans if they had conguered Russia (almost did) could have negotiated.

The sun had set on the British empire long before WW2. England couldn't even control Ireland which remained neutral during WW2. England was about the size of Louisiana.

The sun had set on the British empire long before WW2. England couldn't even control Ireland which remained neutral during WW2. England was about the size of Louisiana.

England had the Commonwealth to draw on, Canada, South Africa, Rhodesia, New Zealand, Australia and of course India. The Empire was failing but it was still a very powerful entity.

There is no doubt though, the German Army is the most professional and capable ever fielded. Had they the supply and manufacturing capability of the US they would have been unstoppable.

England had the Commonwealth to draw on, Canada, South Africa, Rhodesia, New Zealand, Australia and of course India. The Empire was failing but it was still a very powerful entity.

There is no doubt though, the German Army is the most professional and capable ever fielded. Had they the supply and manufacturing capability of the US they would have been unstoppable.

The so-called "commonwealth" were independent of the Queen's mandates. Germany even occupied a few of England's little island outposts. By the mid 20th century England was a tiny island with a big ego and little influence in the rest of the world. By the time the Brit army surrendered in Singapore the US was in the fracas and they had some hope of survival.

The so-called "commonwealth" were independent of the Queen's mandates. Germany even occupied a few of England's little island outposts. By the mid 20th century England was a tiny island with a big ego and little influence in the rest of the world. By the time the Brit army surrendered in Singapore the US was in the fracas and they had some hope of survival.

Germany occupied Guernsey and Jersey just off the coast of France. The RAF had many squadrons of bombers and fighters from the commonwealth nations. India provided 2.5 MILLION volunteers to the fight against Germany in WWII. The Long Range Desert Group was made up mainly of Kiwis. Independent they may have been but they provided the bulk of the UK's soldiers, or as Aussies are fond of saying "Prisoners of Mother England".

Only because German policy was to loot the conquered and enslave their people to fuel their war machine, which made their performances look better. They also gravitated toward wrong ideas technologically in some instances (like Nuclear Weapons not being possible) and had some desperate, impractical weapon designs.

I think a lot of people mistake "professional and capable" for "looking cool in uniforms", personally.

Had it?

During the war the British Empire and Dominions raised a total of 8,586,000 men for military service. More than 5 million came from the British Isles, 1,440,500 from India, 629,000 from Canada, 413,000 from Australia, 136,000 from South Africa, 128,500 from New Zealand and more than 134,000 from other colonies.

source

I wish I had been born in the 1920s to experience real history - much like Gen X wished they had lived the 50s and 60s

Today blows
While I'm fascinated by WWII and its generation--I certainly would not have wanted to go through it, though...maybe you should research the fine print of what went on. Depending on where and who you were you could look forward to being incinerated, beheaded, shot, stabbed, raped, beaten, gassed, experimented on while alive, or just plain gotten sick from poor(er) medicine. The Normandy landings look oh so glorious on TV until you land and get mowed down with no chance.

Japs had no chance.
They seemingly did after Pearl, cutting our fleet into rough numerical parity with theirs. The error on their part was political in that they thought we'd negotiate with them after that so they could be free to go about their business in Southeast Asia.

Germans if they had conguered Russia (almost did) could have negotiated.

And the US started to send the USSR aid so that wouldn't happen. Even so, I think The West negotiating any permanent terms with Hitler was over. Had the Soviet Union toppled he would have a problematic guerrilla war to deal with in an occupation as well.

Today blows

Everyone who was born in the 20s probably wishes they weren't.

And back in the 50s and 60s you didn't have computers, 24hr TV, stores open 24hrs, etc..

Think you can live without that?

There is an old saying that the best army in the world would be comprised of German officers and American soldiers.

The German officer corps was the most professional the world had ever seen.

But the German soldier found it difficult to proceed if they lost their command structure.

Whereas the American officer corp was composed of amateurs.

Yet the average G I was able to function if the officers were killed and still complete the mission.

There is an old saying that the best army in the world would be comprised of German officers and American soldiers.

The German officer corps was the most professional the world had ever seen.

But the German soldier found it difficult to proceed if they lost their command structure.

Whereas the American officer corp was composed of amateurs.

Yet the average G I was able to function if the officers were killed and still complete the mission.

This about sums it up:

"One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine..."

unknown author

Today blows

Bullshit, if you were alive back than you would have hid under your bed like a little bitch just like how you skipped out on the war in Nam.

Today blows

I truly don't mean to pick on you, but are you some kid who overdosed on "Call of Duty" and "Medal of Honor" video games?

Talk to anyone who actually lived during that time, whether it's one of the few remaining WWII combat veterans or one of the family members who was on the home front. You'll find out very quickly that WWII in real life was nothing like you see it portrayed in the movies or on your X-box.

Otherwise, your attempts to address serious military topics with the adults here is cute, amusing but somewhat bothersome.

Today blows

I truly don't mean to pick on you, but are you some kid who overdosed on "Call of Duty" and "Medal of Honor" video games?

Talk to anyone who actually lived during that time, whether it's one of the few remaining WWII combat veterans or one of the family members who was on the home front. You'll find out very quickly that WWII in real life was nothing like you see it portrayed in the movies or on your X-box.

Otherwise, your attempts to address serious military topics with the adults here is cute, amusing but somewhat bothersome.

This clown Ginscpy has never served but he wants credit for keeping his draft card, and according to him the all volunteer service we have now is a joke and we haven't fought a real war since WW2.

Bill Clinton had a sense of transferring WW2 standards (or lack of them) to modern warfare and he got away with it. Why not bomb a relatively defenseless country (ironically a former ally of the US during WW2) into submission? The American media accepted the premise of cluster bombing Yugoslavia as long as a fool and a liberal democrat was in office but when George Bush received permission for ground Troops in Iraq the standards and the media focus changed. American Soldiers would be criminally liable and even prosecuted if a civilian was killed in a crossfire or by accident. How many Americans failed to pull the trigger and were killed by civilians? Today (most?) Americans defend Truman's decision to incinerate two Japanese cities with nuclear weapons in order to convince the hard core Japanese military to surrender. The reason being that it would be too costly to invade Japan. The fact that Truman refused to talk about any surrender terms other than unconditional and Japan was trying to negotiate terms with the monster Stalin seems to be ignored. The hangup was the preservation of the Japanese emperor and not executing him and the US refused to negotiate. Ironically the emperor was preserved anyway after we dropped two big ones.

Today blows

This clown Ginscpy has never served but he wants credit for keeping his draft card, and according to him the all volunteer service we have now is a joke and we haven't fought a real war since WW2.

Volunteer military is not a joke -but we havent fought a real was since WW2.

Forum List

Back