Mosque plans to be ditched?

AllieBaba

Rookie
Oct 2, 2007
I don't know this source, it appears to be a Jewish news outlet. The date is today. I know previously there was a rumor that they were going to withdraw the proposal, but that was discredited.

Then I saw this, this morning:

"After weeks of heated debate over plans for an Islamic community center near Ground Zero - the site of the 9/11 attacks on New York - it seems Muslim leaders will soon back down, agreeing to move to a new site....

"Sources in New York said on Monday that Muslim religious and business leaders will announce plans to abandon the project in the next few days...

"But several people familiar with the debate among New York's Islamic activists now claim that the leaders are convinced abandoning the site is preferable to unleashing a wave of bitterness towards Muslims.

"They also hope the move will be seen as a show of sensitivity to families of the victims of the 9/11 attacks, and to the American public generally."

I hope so.

Muslim leaders to abandon plans for Ground Zero community center - Haaretz Daily Newspaper | Israel News

Whatever will the "conservatives" use as a wedge issue if this were to happen?

Gay marriage, abortion, and taxes are always handy standbys.

I agree that gay marriage and abortion HAVE been in years past, and they may still be on a local level, but no longer on the National level. Taxes, and especially the GOP wanting to extend Bush's tax cuts for the rich while denying people affordable health insurance and unemployment benefits SHOULD play well for the Dems at the Nationl level as well as the local level.

"But several people familiar with the debate among New York's Islamic activists now claim that the leaders are convinced abandoning the site is preferable to unleashing a wave of bitterness towards Muslims.

Gee... I'm glad they're so worried about a "wave of bitterness" now. I guess they weren't thinking of any sort of "wave" when they MURDERED 3,000 INNOCENT MEN, WOMEN AND CHILDREN IN COLD BLOOD! I guess that didn't matter.

Well I got news for ya muslims, you've ALREADY stirred up a pretty damn good sized WAVE of bitterness. Maybe just LEAVING America would help. Go back to where you came from.

Last edited:
I think abandoning the plans would be a respectful and mature decision. I'm glad NY was able to take the high road and stick to the Constitution, but I also think that the location of the planned Islamic center was ill-advised,

Gee... I'm glad they're so worried about a "wave of bitterness" now. I guess they weren't thinking of any sort of "wave" when they MURDERED 3,000 INNOCENT MEN, WOMEN AND CHILDREN IN COLD BLOOD! I guess that didn't matter.

Well I got news for ya muslims, you've ALREADY stirred up a pretty damn good sized WAVE of bitterness. Maybe just LEAVING America would help. Go back to where you came from.

why don't you?

Sad to see anyone forced to change a dream when confronted by hate and fear and demagoguery.

if true, it is a good tactical move on thier part. They will still get thier community center/mosque, and moving it will remove the whole "victory shrine" feel to it.

People had legitamate concerns over the perception of the placement of the mosque/CC. While hate fear and demagoguery may be the methods of some of the opponents, Others opposed it, like myself on solid moral grounds.

What a flag waving dumbass you are. The United States has wasted a TRILLION dollars, over 4,000 US soldiers' lives, along with who knows how many innocent civilians in Iraq and Afghanistan trying to thump our military might, and we are STILL getting our asses handed to us daily by radical Muslims in rags riding bicycles, and putting IEDs together in mud houses. Are you STUPID enough to think these people are actually scared of YOU?

• Thanks
Reactions: blu
I don't know this source, it appears to be a Jewish news outlet. The date is today. I know previously there was a rumor that they were going to withdraw the proposal, but that was discredited.

Then I saw this, this morning:

"After weeks of heated debate over plans for an Islamic community center near Ground Zero - the site of the 9/11 attacks on New York - it seems Muslim leaders will soon back down, agreeing to move to a new site....

"Sources in New York said on Monday that Muslim religious and business leaders will announce plans to abandon the project in the next few days...

"They also hope the move will be seen as a show of sensitivity to families of the victims of the 9/11 attacks, and to the American public generally."

I hope so.

Muslim leaders to abandon plans for Ground Zero community center - Haaretz Daily Newspaper | Israel News

Now that's a smart move. Kudos to them, if they do it.

Not ALL Muslims are responsible for 9/11. I know it's hard but you have to recognize that there are good and bad people everywhere, and of every religion.

Whatever will the "conservatives" use as a wedge issue if this were to happen?

I agree that gay marriage and abortion HAVE been in years past, and they may still be on a local level, but no longer on the National level. Taxes, and especially the GOP wanting to extend Bush's tax cuts for the rich while denying people affordable health insurance and unemployment benefits SHOULD play well for the Dems at the Nationl level as well as the local level.

how should that 9.5% unemployment rate play for the dems?
how should that Healthcare bill play for the dems?
how should the stimulus plan for the dems?
how should the opposition to SB1070 play for the dems?
you're right, not raising taxes is a big loser for the GOP. i mean, i hope my taxes get raised, don't you?

Most Muslims in America are peaceful. We have a lot more trouble from other demographic groups.

You forgot to mention that most muslims are cab drivers and 7-11 store operators.

What is it with that, anyways? Even in the smallest, most white bread town in America, there will be Middle Eastern, Pakistani or Indian proprietors of quick marts. Incidentally, most Indians are Hindus.

Last edited:

how should that 9.5% unemployment rate play for the dems?
how should that Healthcare bill play for the dems?
how should the stimulus plan for the dems?
how should the opposition to SB1070 play for the dems?
you're right, not raising taxes is a big loser for the GOP. i mean, i hope my taxes get raised, don't you?

So.....tell me WHY again, that every GOP hack is bitching about a building that is to be legally built in NYC, rather than these very important things you mentioned?

Forum List

Back