More proof the Republican party wants to hand this country to the corporations

so you think the PO is jsut doing what everyone else has to do?

How many entities have to fund decades of pension in a couple of years?

FEC Republicans Are Making Citizens United Even Worse | ThinkProgress

Last month the six FEC commissioners killed — on a 3-3 vote — a motion to begin consideration of Van Hollen’s suggestions. By law, the agency may have only three members of any political party. By tradition, the president chooses three commissioners and the other party’s Senate leader chooses three. The three Republican appointees — Commissioners Caroline Hunter, Donald McGahn II and Matthew Petersen — were the three “no” votes. The same trio also made headlines last month when they took the view that even coordination between Super PACs and candidates might not qualify as coordination between Super PACs and candidates.
The lawsuit is still pending.

Because of these loopholes, virtually none of the funders behind the Super PAC attack ads in Iowa, New Hampshire, and South Carolina will be disclosed until well after the voters there have cast their ballots. And the funders behind 501(c)(4) attack ads may never be known.

So while it was the Supreme Court’s majority that opened the floodgates for corporate money in our elections, it is the deadlocked FEC that is keeping voters from even knowing where that money comes from.

How about turning off the TV when Super PAC ads come on?
It sends a message loud and clear that the people do not like the ads.
Believe me they will change those ads really quick when they find out that they are not being watched or they are not working.

Why did the republicans not what the American people to know all the facts?

Supreme Court Blocks Ban on Corporate Political Spending - NYTimes.com
Citizens United is a holding that the First Amendment prohibits government from placing limits on independent spending for political purposes by corporations and unions! The 5–4 decision originated in a dispute over whether the non-profit corporation Citizens United could air a film critical of Hillary Clinton, and whether the group could advertise the film in broadcast ads featuring Clinton's image.

For the record, I hate attack ads. I take them all with a grain of salt, because they are notorious for taking things out of context, skewing positions, promoting falsehoods and outright lying.

However, I am not sure how you can say a private entity independent of a candidate can't produce and air what they want to air. It's too much of a slippery slope!

If you want to take about political donations directly to the campaigns then I will be fine with that. But there are rules on the book, PROHIBITING CONTRIBUTIONS BY CORPORATIONS TO POLITICAL CAMPAIGNS!!! But PACs can contribute, but they are limited also!

Campaign Finance Rules: How Much Can a Business Contribute?
Federal law actually prohibits corporations from making contributions or expenditures on federal campaigns. However, corporations may set up what election law refers to as “separate segregated funds” (SSFs), more commonly known as PACs, in order to hold money in a separate bank account and make political contributions.

How much a PAC can contribute depends upon whether or not it is a multi-candidate PAC. A multi-candidate PAC is a political committee that has been registered for at least six months, has received contributions from more than 50 contributors and has made contributions to at least five federal candidates.

Multi-candidate PACs can contribute up to $5,000 per election to candidate committees; $5,000 per year combined to state, district and local party committees; and $15,000 per year to national party committees. PACs that are not multi-candidate can contribute $2,000 per election to candidates; $10,000 per year combined to state, district and local party committees; and $25,000 per year to national party committees!

$5K in the large scene of things isn't overtly large!

Last edited:
so you think the PO is jsut doing what everyone else has to do?

How many entities have to fund decades of pension in a couple of years?

Unfunded Pensions are killing all of us TM. Look at the trend putting Government Workers into 401K's. Why is that? Because the current model is unsustainable. Unless You want to personally fund my Pension Plan, I suggest you take a break and do the math. If I can barely fund my own, why should I supplement yours or Anyone Else's? If I perform a compensated service for you, should you have to compensate me for the rest of my life?

FEC Republicans Are Making Citizens United Even Worse | ThinkProgress

Last month the six FEC commissioners killed — on a 3-3 vote — a motion to begin consideration of Van Hollen’s suggestions. By law, the agency may have only three members of any political party. By tradition, the president chooses three commissioners and the other party’s Senate leader chooses three. The three Republican appointees — Commissioners Caroline Hunter, Donald McGahn II and Matthew Petersen — were the three “no” votes. The same trio also made headlines last month when they took the view that even coordination between Super PACs and candidates might not qualify as coordination between Super PACs and candidates.
The lawsuit is still pending.

Because of these loopholes, virtually none of the funders behind the Super PAC attack ads in Iowa, New Hampshire, and South Carolina will be disclosed until well after the voters there have cast their ballots. And the funders behind 501(c)(4) attack ads may never be known.

So while it was the Supreme Court’s majority that opened the floodgates for corporate money in our elections, it is the deadlocked FEC that is keeping voters from even knowing where that money comes from.

How about turning off the TV when Super PAC ads come on?
It sends a message loud and clear that the people do not like the ads.
Believe me they will change those ads really quick when they find out that they are not being watched or they are not working.

Why did the republicans not what the American people to know all the facts?

Have you yet, given the full story yourself? Some do, you are not one of them. Why do you complain about others doing what you do?

All you frickin' brain dead liberals want to do is turn the government over to the government. That is the major problem with this country right now...too much government control of the government.

The PEOPLE deserve to control the government. It should be government OF the people, BY the people, FOR the people.

As it stands in liberal lah-lah land, we have government control OF the people, BY the government, FOR the government.

You stupid libs don't know the difference between free enterprise and free handouts from the national wallet. The former rewards hard work with financial reward, the latter rewards laziness with monies paid from the pockets of others. When the pockets of others run dry, there will be a rude awakening for the brain dead liberals.

Tell us why the republican party is trying to distory the Post Office which the founders were willing to pay for?

News flash TM.
It's social entitlements that are killing the Post Office.

Operationally speaking, the USPS nets profits every year. The financial problem it faces now comes from a 2006 Congressional mandate that requires the agency to “pre-pay” into a fund that covers health care costs for future retired employees. Under the mandate, the USPS is required to make an annual $5.5 billion payment over ten years, through 2016. These “prepayments” are largely responsible for the USPS’s financial losses over the past four years and the threat of shutdown that looms ahead – take the retirement fund out of the equation, and the postal service would have actually netted $1 billion in profits over this period.

The Dems passed this mandate when they took over in 2006, TM not the repubs.

And the funders behind 501(c)(4) attack ads may never be known.

Aren't 501(c)(4) non-profit organizations that must operate exclusively for the promotion of social welfare?

They are allowed to participate in political campaigning as long as that is not their primary purpose.

Tell us why the republican party is trying to distory the Post Office which the founders were willing to pay for?

News flash TM.

Operationally speaking, the USPS nets profits every year. The financial problem it faces now comes from a 2006 Congressional mandate that requires the agency to “pre-pay” into a fund that covers health care costs for future retired employees. Under the mandate, the USPS is required to make an annual $5.5 billion payment over ten years, through 2016. These “prepayments” are largely responsible for the USPS’s financial losses over the past four years and the threat of shutdown that looms ahead – take the retirement fund out of the equation, and the postal service would have actually netted $1 billion in profits over this period.

Link to your shit?

I've said it before, I'll say it again. If someone is stupid enough to vote based on what they saw in a TV ad, they deserve to be lied to, and they get the government they deserve.

You cannot legislate people into not being willfully ignorant. You cannot force them to study the issues. You cannot stop the depth of their knowledge from being nothing more than a parroting of bumper stickers, catch phrases, and sound bites they picked up from their partisan svengalis.

None of the campaign finance reforms or court decisions of the past 40-odd years has had any impact whatsoever on the re-election rate of incumbents.

So the problem in not in your TV, it is in the heads of the voters.

News flash TM.

WHY are you lying about this?

TM: You lied!!!

World: No, You Lied!

TM: No You Lied!!!

World: No, You Lied!!!.

Intense, do you understand I just proved peach lied about who was in control of congress at the time this was passed?

The TRUTH MATTERS

Much as it pains me, TDM is right on this one matter, the bill was signed in August of 2006 and the Dems didn't take over until January of 2007.
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Forum List

Back