More Gun Owners Also Have Higher Suicide Rates, Study Finds

Brain357

Platinum Member
Mar 30, 2013
Not surprising findings.

With More Guns Comes More Suicide, Study Finds

"Our study adds to the consistent finding that among both males and females, increased prevalence of firearms is clearly associated with an increase in the firearm-specific suicide rate," said Dr. Michael Siegel, lead author and a professor of community health sciences, in a statement. "The magnitude of this relationship is substantial and warrants attention from policymakers."

If you're scared of guns, you don't have to own one young lady.

Way to hit on the topic. Moron.

It is on topic you little bitch. Just because you are scared of guns, doesn't mean the 2nd Amendment precludes me from having one.

Frankly, I don't care if 10M people a year are shot with a gun. I will not give up my 2nd Amendment rights, and it is ridiculous of you to ask me to.

It is on topic you little bitch. Just because you are scared of guns, doesn't mean the 2nd Amendment precludes me from having one.

Frankly, I don't care if 10M people a year are shot with a gun. I will not give up my 2nd Amendment rights, and it is ridiculous of you to ask me to.

When did I ask you to?

Never mind, I found it.

Intentional self-harm (suicide): 42,773

Firearms still account for less than half.

Obviously, not owning a firearm didn't stop the majority

100% with you on that.

Never mind, I found it.

But it is quick and effective. Based on the study that seems to increase suicide rates.

Never mind, I found it.

But it is quick and effective. Based on the study that seems to increase suicide rates.
You can make numbers say anything at face value when it comes to 'studies'. If some group of researchers did a study to find out if shit is healthy to eat, gets it peer reviewed and published..the news broadcasts "Eating shit is good for you"....would you actually start eating shit? Common sense trumps "studies" by bias researchers.... Like the ones who conducted this study.

Never mind, I found it.

and STILL less than half of the total.

21,175 committed suicide with a firearm?

21, 598 DIDN'T.

Obviously, NOT owning a firearm will NOT prevent suicide.

Researchers from Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Policy and Research conducted a similar study that compared gun policies in Missouri and Connecticut, which passed a law in 1995 that requires people to pass a background check before obtaining a permit or license to purchase a handgun. Missouri, on the other hand, repealed its gun purchaser licensing law in 2007. Connecticut’s stricter gun ownership law led to a 15.4 percent drop in firearm suicides while Missouri’s laxer laws meant a 16.1 percent increase.

Never mind, I found it.

You can make numbers say anything at face value when it comes to 'studies'. If some group of researchers did a study to find out if shit is healthy to eat, gets it peer reviewed and published..the news broadcasts "Eating shit is good for you"....would you actually start eating shit? Common sense trumps "studies" by bias researchers.... Like the ones who conducted this study.

That is true. If you look at who gets killed by guns it is by far the owner in suicide though.

Gun ownership was a significant predictor of male firearm suicide rates. In fact, firearm suicides among men increased by 3.3 per 100,000 for each 10 percent uptick in gun ownership. Firearm suicides among women increased 0.5 per 100,000 for every 10 percent jump in gun ownership. Owning a gun also led to higher rates of suicide by any means among men but not women.

th

Seriously doubt you're going to get anyone on this board to give up their guns.

Never mind, I found it.

That is true. If you look at who gets killed by guns it is by far the owner in suicide though.
Sure...I don't doubt the people who commit suicides with guns own the gun they used to commit suicide.

A better way to gauge if gun ownership contributes to higher suicide rates would be to see if long term gun owners are more likely than short term gun owners to commit suicide with a gun.

Any individual who is serious about suicide will seek the most sure-fire way to get it done. A gunshot to your head is probably one of the most sure-fire ways to kill yourself out there. So the fact one owns a gun isn't the way to figure this out if you're trying to figure out if gun ownership is an indicator of higher risk of suicide...but rather are they long or short term gun owners.

A friend of mine commited suicide back in highschool, the same day he bought it, the same day he used the gun he bought to kill himself.

Just something to think about.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back