more environmental destruction brought to you by bp & hailburton

Discussion in 'Environment' started by blu, Nov 8, 2010.

1. blu

blu Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +774
    Massive Coral Die-Off Found Just 7 Miles from BP Oil Spill Site | 80beats | Discover Magazine

can't wait for tony hayward and his peers to be burning in hell. its the only justice they will ever get

2. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,414
    To most on this board, environmental loss doesn't matter in the least. Not unless it immediatly affects their pocket book. The ignoramouses here cannot see more than 18 months down the road, and care nothing at all about those who come after us.

3. blu

blu Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +774
    it sure seems that way. I am sure mother nature will magically "bounce back" from this since as neocons say, humans can't affect the environment

4. mdn2000

mdn2000 BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Another tragedy of Green energy, the massive increase of raw materials needed to make fiberglass, steel, aluminum, copper, plastics, radios, which is needed in the largest quantity ever produced, not to mention the constant power drawn from the grid to power green energy 24 hours a day has caused the demand for more oil.

The worlds largest solar power plant uses the worlds largest amount of energy to manufacturer the solar plant.

The worlds largest wind farm uses the largest amount of energy to build those windmills.

Wind power and Solar energy demand a disproportionate amount of energy that only comes from fossil fuels.

5. tinydancer

tinydancer Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,071
    This is a pretty good article that does offer hope to the people of the Gulf. If there was even one good thing that came out of the Valdez spill was that it was so monumentally horrific and the disaster so great that it shook people to the bottom of their souls to realize how much damage mankind can unleash.

Alaskan recovery from Exxon Valdez disaster offers hope after BP spill
    From the vantage point of a rickety plane over Prince William Sound in Alaska it is hard to imagine the horrors that once unfolded in the pristine blue waters below.

Alaskan recovery from Exxon Valdez disaster offers hope after BP spill - Telegraph

As to your wishing the fires of hell to be unleashed on Hayward and his peers you would have to throw Obama's administration into Hades with them considering they were so monumentally incompetent in their response to this disaster.

6. konradv

konradv Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,676
    LIES!!! The energy needed to make solar plants and windmills DOES NOT exceed the power generated from those plants. That's a ludicrous comntention.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. tinydancer

tinydancer Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,071
    I don't think it to be such a ludicrous contention. If they won't be forthcoming with ALL the data, why should we buy into this technology.

And I am not against new green technology. I'm really interested in it. My neighbor has gone solar but one panel is just not enough for them.

I'm learning thru their experiences before I invest. But there's a problem if operators can't just be honest about their product.

Leland Teschler's Editorial: How Much Power Does It Take to Run a Wind Turbine?

It's a great editorial.

Leland Teschler's Editorial: How Much Power Does It Take to Run a Wind Turbine? | Machine Design

From the article:

Wind-farm operators don’t say much about turbine-power demands.

Typically, turbine-power consumption is one of the factors that gets lumped into a wind-farm’s operation and maintenance costs.

I’ve never found either a wind-farm operator or a wind-turbine maker willing to discuss these costs.

It would not be much of an exaggeration to say the wind industry treats such information as a state secret.

That’s unfortunate. Wind boosters open themselves up to skepticism about their industry’s viability when they don’t disclose real figures about the power their turbines generate and consume.

Cynics might be tempted to claim we could reach a point where we’ve commissioned so many wind turbines that we’ll need to build new coal-fired power plants to run them.

Without hard data, who’s to say they aren’t right?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. mdn2000

mdn2000 BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Let me write slower, the energy used is more energy needed, as in we must produce more oil to make windmills than if we used that energy to make electricity.

The worlds largest solar farm uses the largest amount of natural resources for less then one percent of the energy created by simply using the oil to make electricity.

A complete waste of the same natural resources you wish to save. Talk about ignorant hypocrisy.

9. blu

blu Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +774
    the amount of views to post either shows that peopple don't car about whats going on or love big companies too much for it to annoy them

10. mdn2000

mdn2000 BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Its the big companies that push the government to make the laws that force us to use more of the natural resources they sell. Its that simple.

As far as peoples view/post, you posted the link to an article and offered no commentary so to speak. What is there to respond to.

Of course what is funny is you dont seem to know anything about the "red tide" in the gulf. Maybe the article is confused as well.