More benefits being taking away from the military .. Closing commisaries

It's because of the sequester. The DoD is going to threaten cuts which are as painful and as public to the little guy as possible in order to get leverage for more of the budget pie. State governments do the same thing when they want higher taxes. They always go after schools and cops and drugs for seniors first, because that will create the loudest screaming until they get their way.

The DoD is also threatening to decommission all their A-10 Thunderbolts. Because that would affect a lot of congressional districts.

The Pentagon knows how to play political hardball as well as the next guy.

Operation Hostage Taking...

Last edited:
DoD Requests Plan to Close Stateside Commissaries | Military.com

WTF this is one perk that really help families who are lower ranks .. I am so ticked because this is where I do my grocery shopping.. I guess Obama will just give more food stamps to the lower ranks since he LOVES food stamps

Yeah? Don't bet the rent on it. Obama doesn't love America and he doesn't love our fighting men~! Are any of the veterans' groups going to fight this? I would hope so. Also, a lot of our veterans shop on the bases near them at the PX and the commissary. So this will affect elderly and retired military people as well.

I know this is going to hurt several of my troops. Many of them are lower income and depend on the commissary.

Why do the military need commisaries in a populated area?

WalMart not good enough?

WalMart not good enough?

Some items are much cheaper at commissaries. Especially booze and cigarettes. :D

They are also conveniently located on base, near base housing.

And this is a proposal to close ALL stateside commissaries, not just those in heavily populated areas.

You’ve heard that there is a plan in the works to close stateside commissaries — but what is the real story? Is this just a scare tactic from the Defense Department or are stateside commissaries really going to close?

While this is the first time the DoD has targeted the program itself, the commissary system has long been a topic of funding debate on Capitol Hill. Although there is plenty of skepticism that all commissaries stateside are really going to close, which no story about the plan ever claimed, we have no doubt that a plan truly is in the works.

With the Pentagon required to find $50 billion in cuts for their 2015 budget proposal nothing is safe from examination, Pentagon officials told us in a statement.

http://spousebuzz.com/blog/2013/11/...verything-you-need-to-know.html#ixzz2mLj4tClF

WalMart not good enough?

"A military family can save an average of 30 percent or more on groceries by shopping regularly at their commissary. Over the course of a year, that can add up to nearly $4,400 for a family of four and more than $1,500 for a single service member!"

Home Page. militaryonesource.mil/shopping/using-the-commissary-benefit-to-save-money?content_id=266854

WalMart not good enough?

"A military family can save an average of 30 percent or more on groceries by shopping regularly at their commissary. Over the course of a year, that can add up to nearly $4,400 for a family of four and more than $1,500 for a single service member!"

Home Page. militaryonesource.mil/shopping/using-the-commissary-benefit-to-save-money?content_id=266854

MilitarySpouse Forums - Commissary vs Walmart or other grocery store

Some swear by the commisary, some think WalMart is cheaper

I think CONUS commissaries could be a way to reduce costs with negligible impact.

I think OCONUS commissaries are a must.

Last edited:

WalMart not good enough?

MilitarySpouse Forums - Commissary vs Walmart or other grocery store

Some swear by the commisary, some think WalMart is cheaper

People who are bad at budgets think wal mart is cheaper. Commissary = awesome.

These cuts are political ploys acted out by the pentagon to send a message to politicians to keep their hands off of the military industrial complex.

So a government run not for profit store is better for the military than one in the private sector?

Gee, that kind of conflicts with the belief of the conservatives around here who claim that nothing the government does couldn't be done better by the private sector.

So a government run not for profit store is better for the military than one in the private sector?

Gee, that kind of conflicts with the belief of the conservatives around here who claim that nothing the government does couldn't be done better by the private sector.

You mean the tax free facility given government advantages and created for the military that uses profits for its own organization and funded in part by MWR? Yes that one.

Not the public transportation or the post offices plagued by unions.

Considering that it is more like a Dollar Store market with a lot of closeout items, yes.

And I have said that prisons are not run more efficiently by private companies. Also, the ACA website is a FUBAR of epic proportions. I'm pretty sure the IT people in the federal hospital and clinics I have worked are government employees. The computerized patient record there is second to none.

Maybe we should let Walmart employees shop at military commissaries, so they can better afford to feed their families.

Maybe we should send Wal Mart employees to Afghanistan and let them live in ply wood huts in the mountains with a gun and some MREs. Or out to sea so they can lose power and stand watch randomly on the .50 while Iranian planes flying 500 ft off the starboard bow.

When they do that they can shop at the commissary.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back