Modest proposals.

But your tax system is still set up to where taxes can be brought up and lowered based on a "fair" scale in the future as the groundwork is still place suggesting the rich should pay more and the poor should pay near nothing while demanding more services.

Short of a Constitutional Amendment, any income tax system is going to be subject to possible future manipulation. No shit, Sherlock.

I'd like to see a set 10% tax on everyone. 100% un-avoidable. If you are not making enough to pay this tax then you prolly don't live on your own.

10% does not bring in enough money. So unless we are ALSO (simultaneously) ramming through some amazing laws that serve to dramatically CUT spending, 10% aint gonna suffice. I am all for proper cuts in spending. And that is where achieving agreement is going to get thorny as hell. Oh well. That's no reason not to get started.

In the end I see no point in talking about taxes as we run a 3.6 Trillion dollar deficit with no shift to cut spending in any meaningful way. Really all we have to do is require the federal Government have a balanced budget, that will fix taxes. 100% taxes on the rich won't fix that defect, meaning the middle class and poor are next for a tax increase, even at 100% tax across the board we still do not pay down our deficit, proving that more taxes are not the answer but a cut in spending is.

I am absolutely for addressing the cutting of spending. But as long as politicos think that can dip into the well, they will not get serious about spending cuts. They will instead just go deeper into debt and tax us at ever higher rates. So, as I noted above, we HAVE to do both at the same time.

I dismiss your class-warfare rhetoric out of hand.

As for the 10% number I honestly don't know where or what % it should be, I should have said that, and I thought about saying it.

Secondly I talked about how it's pointless talking about what % taxes should be, or taxes in general seeing that we borrow or pint the money anyways. Obama has done tax cuts and tax credits, re-passed the Bush era tax cuts but we are still spending out of control.

As for the class warfare comment that is not what I was going after. In the end you literally said you would tax the rich more and the poor far less (24% less). YOU in fact did set the stage for class warfare as duh, all taxes will be game for future Presidents.

In all, the main point is what is the point of taxes when there is no desire to balance the budget. It's all just for political games seeing as lowering taxes might bring in some more revenue but still not enough to cover the spending both Democrats and Republicans have together done, not to mention both Dems and Reps lower taxes. Dems at least talk about raising taxes to pay for thing, but once again it’s a game seeing that even at 100% they still can’t pay down our growing debt.

Once more time. If ALL you do is stop spending more than we collect in taxes, you still have to deal with the debt and the interest already accumulated and accumulating.

If all you do is tax less, you aren't addressing the deficit spending problem.

Reality makes it clear: without doing damage to the engine of capitalism, we have to cut spending, pay down the debt (and interest) and spend a shit-load LESS of our present funds or future funds.

It will involve making tough and sometimes harsh choices.

And that's not a good reason not to start.

Once more time. If ALL you do is stop spending more than we collect in taxes, you still have to deal with the debt and the interest already accumulated and accumulating.

Reality makes it clear: without doing damage to the engine of capitalism, we have to cut spending, pay down the debt (and interest) and spend a shit-load LESS of our present funds or future funds.

And what IS the amount of unfunded mandates owed overall?

U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time

$61 Trillion or more?

The nation’s unfunded mandates for the future continue to expand.
The US government currently has unfunded financial commitments of over $61 trillion.

Where does it end?

$61 Trillion or more?

The US government currently has unfunded financial commitments of over $61 trillion.

Where does it end?

And yet when anybody barely scratches the outermost surface of the problem, by suggesting that we have no choice other than to get an immediate handle on it (if it's not already too late), the more high-strung looney leftists go nuts.

$61 Trillion or more?

Where does it end?

And yet when anybody barely scratches the outermost surface of the problem, by suggesting that we have no choice other than to get an immediate handle on it (if it's not already too late), the more high-strung looney leftists go nuts.

As a matter of course. Honor goes by the wayside and joins compamy with Responsibility...and with the authors of the Lunacy they have put us upon...as THEY got what they wanted and will never again have to address it...only thier offspring...and ours...sold into slavery to pay it all off on honor for generations to come.

Where does it stop?

NO...budget or spending bill shall be lawful that does not meet the strict test of a balanced budget.

Good luck with that! We can't even get DC to accept the idea that any reduction to their planned rate of INCREASED spending is reasonable. You think they'll go for an actually balanced budget...as in spending only what we take in? That'll be the day!

Anyone remember PAYGO? How's that working out for us?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruFX2HQa2lI]Campbell talks about PAYGO Sham - YouTube[/ame]

It took an act of congress for them to stop breaking the rules with insider trading....and they still won't be prosecuted if they continue. :lol:

NO...budget or spending bill shall be lawful that does not meet the strict test of a balanced budget.

Good luck with that! We can't even get DC to accept the idea that any reduction to their planned rate of INCREASED spending is reasonable. You think they'll go for an actually balanced budget...as in spending only what we take in? That'll be the day!

Anyone remember PAYGO? How's that working out for us?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruFX2HQa2lI"]Campbell talks about PAYGO Sham - YouTube[/ame]

It took an act of congress for them to stop breaking the rules with insider trading....and they still won't be prosecuted if they continue. :lol:

It will take a draining of the swamp at the hands of the people...ARMED if need be.

Forum List

Back