Modern wind-powered ships

lg325

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2020
Florida's Past
So far the public comments on other boards is severely negative. But at least someone is putting forth an effort it may evolve into something useful. Wind-powered freight ships!

Last edited:
Next thing you know they will haul freight over land with horses and wagons ;)

it is good to see folks at least working on ideas to make things better.

Man, where is that thing I got sucked into a couple weeks ago?

A documentary on the total history and evolution of shipping.

Last edited:
Man, where is that thing I got sucked into a couple weeks ago?

A documentary on the total history and evolution of shipping.
I had a book of that title and subject I will dig around for it I may not have it anymore. Authored by a British admiral.
But watching the video it is interesting seeing the way they set up for sail power on the modern ship. They put a big investment into it.

I had a book of that title and subject I will dig around for it I may not have it anymore. Authored by a British admiral.
But watching the video it is interesting seeing the way they set up for sail power on the modern ship. They put a big investment into it.
That's a bulk cargo ship. Looks rusty enough to be Russian. :aargh:

What color are Russian ships? Rust. It's not paint, it's rust.

Wind ASSISTED ships, however, can indeed work. Rig a sail on a tanker and save fuel.
Large ships use something called bunker fuel. It's the dirtiest fuel because it's basically just filtered crude oil. It's like burning coal.

Large ships use something called bunker fuel. It's the dirtiest fuel because it's basically just filtered crude oil. It's like burning coal.
And if you put a sail on them, they use less of it.

If it works, it's a good idea.
They're trying it now on big ships.

High-tech wind power lets ships slash fuel costs and emissions. - ASME

Over the past year, an unusual-looking Maersk tanker, Pelican, has been plying the world seas. It carries the same cargo as similar commercial ships, but it has one unique feature that gives it an unusual profile. Towering over its deck are two 30-meter-tall and 5-meter-wide columns.

From a distance, they may look like smokestacks. But on closer inspection—particularly a high wind—they are clearly spinning.

The two white towers are part of a sophisticated propulsion mechanism that has already helped the Pelican helping reduce fuel use and greenhouse gas emissions by 8 percent.

I read the entire Horatio Hornblower series in my teens.. then wondered why. IIRC, he'd often gain speed and save fuel by blowing his horn to aft.
BlowingHorn1.png

Last edited:

Forum List

Back