MN Faces Idea Of Lower Drinking Age, Again

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by Agnapostate, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Agnapostate

Agnapostate BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +344
    MN Faces Idea Of Lower Drinking Age, Again | KSFY.com - Your Source for News, Sports, Weather, and Community Events Sioux Falls, South Dakota 57104 | Local News

A commendable plan.

2. auditor0007

auditor0007 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,218
    I tend to agree. At the same time, I think there needs t be some restrictions and guidelines. Drinking problems among younger people is not as much of a problem throughout much of Europe, and they allow younger people to drink at an earlier age. But it's not as cut and dry as just allowing these people the right to drink.

When it is said that people who start drinking at an earlier age are more likely to have problems with alcohol later in life, the problem is that kids that currently drink at an earlier age tend to do it for one reason only, and that is to get shit faced. If we did a better job of teaching our kids to drink responsilby, that might change.

3. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,971
    i dont agree...lowering the drinking age does increase deaths by drunks on the highways

4. garyd

garyd Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +401
    Well it seems to be a rather drastic way to cut down on school over crowding.

5. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,434
    I actually think that has a lot to do with how drinking is viewed as a "rite of passage" here where it isn't in other countries.

But I do think someone who's old enough to join the military should be able to buy a beer.

6. roomy

roomy The Natural

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +950
    It is 18 the UK but they usually start at around 13/14 on the street corners and parks.

7. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,434
    I think my friends were 15.,.. 'cept it was people's basements.

8. pete

pete The food stamp president

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +232
    It starts at 13/14 here as well in some cases and not a small number younger.
    As was mentioned if you can put your life on the line in the military why cant you decide if you would like a beer legally.
    My 20 year old has tried it, but doesnt drink and my 15 year old tried it and hopefully learned her lesson.
    We teach not just let them run wild and I would like to beleive if they do drink they would call us or do the right thing. Its OUR responsibility.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. garyd

garyd Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +401
    Trouble is too many parents have totally abrogated the responsibility of being a parent.

10. Agnapostate

Agnapostate BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +344
    That is a factually inaccurate claim, at least if you are referring to the 20,000+ lives that were allegedly saved by the drinking age since 1984.

The NHTSA's own data indicates that the number of lost lives among the same age group in Canada fell by a similar proportion, despite the fact that the drinking age remains 18 or 19 in Canada, depending on the region.

U.S. Department of Transportation - NHTSA - Determine Why There Are Fewer Young Alcohol-Impaired Drivers - IV. What Caused the Decrease? - DOT HS 809 348

This is alternately attributed to vehicular safety improvements, anti drunk-driving safety campaigns, or some other factor, but it is clear that a minimum drinking age of 21 is not the factor that saved lives.

Hence, we obviously need to reanalyze the claim made by researchers that the minimum drinking age of 21 is responsible for reducing alcohol-related crash fatalities in the U.S.

The purchase age is 18 in the UK; I believe the actual drinking age is effectively 5. The UK is a separate case from the rest of Europe, though, which has substantially lower drinking ages than the U.S., and lower binge drinking rates as a result.