Mistaken Identification In Red Flag Law

Actually Old Lady, the Fox link is word for word what I posted. You didn't read either. Here. for the 4th time and it's from your Fox link.

"Heā€™s 110 pounds. Iā€™m 200. He has brown eyes. I have hazel. He has black hair. I have no hair,ā€ Jon said, comparing himself to the other Jon Carpenter, who became the target of a risk protection order to remove any weapons he may possess.

But the veteran, fisherman, 200-pound Jon Carpenter was sent a certified letter from the state, suspending his firearms license.

ā€œI was just dumbfounded. I didnā€™t know what to do. I called the state and they basically said, 'There's an injunction against you,'ā€ Carpenter explained.

He also received a notice that he had been reported to DCF for elder abuse and a state order to surrender any firearms.

"The state basically said, If itā€™s not you, go to the courthouse. Theyā€™ll give you a letter and theyā€™ll get you reinstated,ā€ said Carpenter.

But that's not how it played out.

"Then, he finally comes out, and he's like you basically have to go to court on the 27th, in two weeks. So I said, 'I'm guilty until I prove myself innocent? Thatā€™s why I'm here, trying to show its not me.' And heā€™s like, 'Since youā€˜re here, youā€™ve been served. Hereā€™s your restraining order,'ā€ Carpenter recalled.

He finally connected with someone in the sheriffā€™s office, who helped him get the injunction dismissed and called the state to get his firearms license reinstated.

"They said they process it in the order it was received and it takes 6-8 weeks. I was like, 'So you can suspend it in one day, instantly, but for somebody elseā€™s mistake, Iā€™ve got to wait 6-8 weeks?'ā€

Floridaā€™s Failed 'Red Flag' Law Sees Massive Numbers of Gun Confiscation ā‹† The Washington Sentinel

The State of Florida has seen a large number of very shady cases of gun confiscation since it enacted its un-American red flag law in 2018.

Showing exactly why so-called ā€œred flagā€ laws are dangerously un-American, the State of Florida has seen a large number of very shady cases of gun confiscation since it enacted its red flag law in 2018.

In just over a year, this un-American law has been used more than 3,500 times to take away the Second Amendment rights of Floridians.

That is an obscene number of cases in such a short period of time.

Per the Associated Press:

Trending: Leftist Mob Attacks Conservative ā€˜Gun Girlā€™ At Ohio University

The law, supported by legislators of both parties, has been applied more than 3,500 times since, with the pace accelerating during the last half of 2019. Even so, an Associated Press analysis of the law showed its use is inconsistent, with some counties and cities using it rarely and others not at all.

Advocates of Floridaā€™s red flag measure say before it existed, it was often difficult to remove firearms from those making threats or suffering severe mental breakdowns. Investigators did not act on reports that the Parkland shooter was threatening to carry out a school massacre. But even if they had, it is likely he would have been allowed to keep his guns because he had no felony convictions or involuntary, long-term mental commitments, they say.

Naturally, the AP lied with its headline.

As Jazz Shaw pointed out, the APā€™s headline said ā€œhundreds of gunsā€ have been confiscated, but it is in fact THOUSANDS of guns that have been stolen by the state.

Shaw also noted that the numbers seem to show that some Florida counties are abusing the law:

As the report reveals, there are two counties in the panhandle where authorities have only issued one red flag order for every 100,000 residents. Nine other, mostly rural counties, have issued none at all since the law took effect. But at the other end of the scale, multiple counties have issued one for every 5,500 residents. One other (Highlands County) issued one for every 850 people living there. Thatā€™s got to be a significant portion of the guns in the county.

Are we honestly supposed to believe that some of those counties are chock full of crazy people while others have no issues at all? Or could it be that some counties have judges and/or sheriffs that are far more likely to approve gun confiscations than others? The sheriff in the top gun-grabbing county, Paul Blackman, told the AP that he has ā€œno ideaā€ why his county is number one but noted that his deputies receive frequent calls about mental health crisis situations.

So, how does this law work? It allows police to batter down doors, steal a citizenā€™s firearms, and even incarcerate them just on the say-so of someone. Police donā€™t have to prove a thing. They just have to take the word of anyone who decides they donā€™t like the targeted person.

Worse, since it is not a criminal proceeding, the targeted citizen has no right to state supplied counsel and have to pay for their own legal fees whether they can afford it or not. And that means only the rich can afford to fight these confiscations in court.

As Shaw noted, this law is ripe for abuse and there are damn few safeguards in place to stop that abuse.

What could be more un-American than the summary elimination of a citizenā€™s Constitutional rights like this?
Maybe we should study why people living in urban areas are so nuts? Perhaps we should ban urban enclaves and thin the herd. Or cordon off urban areas and let the chips fall where they may?

Maybe we should study why people living in urban areas are so nuts? Perhaps we should ban urban enclaves and thin the herd. Or cordon off urban areas and let the chips fall where they may?

1st one, they did.
2nd one I ban my self from anything approaching urban and have 30 years (I'm 65). Thin them? Not my job to judge, they do a pretty effective job of thinning themselves anyway.
3rd one, good idea.

1st one, they did.
2nd one I ban my self from anything approaching urban and have 30 years (I'm 65). Thin them? Not my job to judge, they do a pretty effective job of thinning themselves anyway.
3rd one, good idea.
I've banned myself to two hundred acres of off-grid Alaska. My nearest neighbors are about a mile away and feel the same way I do about urban settings. I really enjoyed those "Escape From..." movies. Hawaii would be a good place to start urban resettlement, or cordon off all of CA. We have a couple of already furnished islands in the Aleutians that would serve the purpose nicely, too.

I've banned myself to two hundred acres of off-grid Alaska. My nearest neighbors are about a mile away and feel the same way I do about urban settings. I really enjoyed those "Escape From..." movies. Hawaii would be a good place to start urban resettlement, or cordon off all of CA. We have a couple of already furnished islands in the Aleutians that would serve the purpose nicely, too.

Alaska, how awesome. Lived Western WA 18 years but never made AK. Kentucky fits me well. Stay away fro Lex and Louisville. Bowling Green only for Corvette events :)

I enjoyed those movies too, good action stuff.

Seems Ha and Ca already urban resettlement's!

Alaska, how awesome. Lived Western WA 18 years but never made AK. Kentucky fits me well. Stay away fro Lex and Louisville. Bowling Green only for Corvette events :)

I enjoyed those movies too, good action stuff.

Seems Ha and Ca already urban resettlement's!
HI and CA need to be cordoned off and separated from the rest of the country, though. CA already does border checks looking for non-CA fruits and veggies being "imported" into the state. Strict immigration standards should any come to their senses and request permission to leave those hell-holes.

HI and CA need to be cordoned off and separated from the rest of the country, though. CA already does border checks looking for non-CA fruits and veggies being "imported" into the state. Strict immigration standards should any come to their senses and request permission to leave those hell-holes.

I remember those fruit checks in the early 80's even. lived Tustin, Longbeach areas 1 year 1986. Drove away fast as I could. Can't say I didn't like the food and weather though.

People are leaving those states. just don't take it with you. Adapt.

Oh there have been other incidents. 3500 red flag seizures in FLA alone, pundit does not cover all news.

Possibly it took from Aug till now because that is how long it took him to get his guns and rights back.
Wrong ā€“ no ā€˜rightsā€™ were ā€˜taken.ā€™

Indeed, that the issue was resolved is confirmation that the right to due process was observed.

This is a failure on the part of law enforcement, not the law ā€“ and similar failures have occurred with regard to the enforcement various other laws having nothing to do with the merits or validity of those laws, including ā€˜red flagā€™ laws.

Future occurrences can be avoided by law enforcement do a better job, not by repealing ā€˜red flagā€™ laws.

thegatewaypundit.com/2020/02/government-officials-seize-veterans-guns-in-mistaken-identification-in-red-flag-law-execution/

For the third time now, read it. At least the bold underlined parts. 1 day is TOO long not to mention it's akin to incarcerating an innocent.

Jon is a veteran, sports fisherman, and law-abiding gun owner from St. Cloud, who just happens to have the same name as a drifter who threatened an elderly couple.

ā€œHeā€™s 110 pounds. Iā€™m 200. He has brown eyes. I have hazel. He has black hair. I have no hair,ā€ Jon said, comparing himself to the other Jon Carpenter, who became the target of a risk protection order to remove any weapons he may possess.

But the veteran, fisherman, 200-pound Jon Carpenter was sent a certified letter from the state, suspending his firearms license.

ā€œI was just dumbfounded. I didnā€™t know what to do. I called the state and they basically said, ā€˜Thereā€™s an injunction against you,ā€™ā€ Carpenter explained.

He also received a notice that he had been reported to DCF for elder abuse and a state order to surrender any firearms.

ā€œThe state basically said, If itā€™s not you, go to the courthouse. Theyā€™ll give you a letter and theyā€™ll get you reinstated,ā€ said Carpenter.

But thatā€™s not how it played out.

ā€œThen, he finally comes out, and heā€™s like you basically have to go to court on the 27th, in two weeks. So I said, ā€˜Iā€™m guilty until I prove myself innocent? Thatā€™s why Iā€™m here, trying to show its not me.ā€™ And heā€™s like, ā€˜Since youā€˜re here, youā€™ve been served. Hereā€™s your restraining order,ā€™ā€ Carpenter recalled.

He finally connected with someone in the sheriffā€™s office, who helped him get the injunction dismissed and called the state to get his firearms license reinstated.

ā€œThey said they process it in the order it was received and it takes 6-8 weeks. I was like, ā€˜So you can suspend it in one day, instantly, but for somebody elseā€™s mistake, Iā€™ve got to wait 6-8 weeks?ā€™ā€
Shawnee, I JUST linked that same article and the last paragraph WHICH YOU CONVENIENTLY DECIDED TO OMIT says he got it back sooner than that.
Are we really arguing about something that is right there in black and white?

Screw ups are a pain in the ass, I agree. A mistake which was quickly rectified according to the article, although with plenty of aggravation on poor Mr. Carpenter's part, is no reason to attack a Red Flag Law.
Look at my post--it saves lives. It is not to "grab guns" from healthy people. So why are you worried?

Forum List

Back