Mississippi seeks to ban restaurants from serving the obese

Little-Acorn

Gold Member
Jun 20, 2006
San Diego, CA
I heartily encourage the states, local govts, etc. to try this kind of thing. It encourages healthy competition with other states etc. If people approve, they will flock to the Mississippi restaurants. If not, they will go elsewhere - other citie, states etc. And if the restaurants' additional business from approving patrons, makes up for the loss of of arguably their heaviest-ordering customers, they win!

Only forseeable problem is, these days anything the states do, especially things of an overbearing and contolling nature, tend to serve as a template for soon-to-follow Federal action. It's harder to leave the country in protest of something you don't like, than to leave your local town for a night out - something the Feds frequently count on when restricting people's freedom.

-----------------------------------------------

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2008/0201081fat1.html

Mississippi Pols Seek To Ban Fats

New bill would make it illegal for restaurants to serve the obese

FEBRUARY 1--Mississippi legislators this week introduced a bill that would make it illegal for state-licensed restaurants to serve obese patrons. Bill No. 282, a copy of which you'll find below, is the brainchild of three members of the state's House of Representatives, Republicans W. T. Mayhall, Jr. and John Read, and Democrat Bobby Shows. The bill, which is likely dead on arrival, proposes that the state's Department of Health establish weight criteria after consultation with Mississippi's Council on Obesity. It does not detail what penalties an eatery would face if its grub was served to someone with an excessive body mass index.

I heartily encourage the states, local govts, etc. to try this kind of thing. It encourages healthy competition with other states etc. If people approve, they will flock to the Mississippi restaurants. If not, they will go elsewhere - other citie, states etc. And if the restaurants' additional business from approving patrons, makes up for the loss of of arguably their heaviest-ordering customers, they win!

Only forseeable problem is, these days anything the states do, especially things of an overbearing and contolling nature, tend to serve as a template for soon-to-follow Federal action. It's harder to leave the country in protest of something you don't like, than to leave your local town for a night out - something the Feds frequently count on when restricting people's freedom.

-----------------------------------------------

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2008/0201081fat1.html

Mississippi Pols Seek To Ban Fats

New bill would make it illegal for restaurants to serve the obese

FEBRUARY 1--Mississippi legislators this week introduced a bill that would make it illegal for state-licensed restaurants to serve obese patrons. Bill No. 282, a copy of which you'll find below, is the brainchild of three members of the state's House of Representatives, Republicans W. T. Mayhall, Jr. and John Read, and Democrat Bobby Shows. The bill, which is likely dead on arrival, proposes that the state's Department of Health establish weight criteria after consultation with Mississippi's Council on Obesity. It does not detail what penalties an eatery would face if its grub was served to someone with an excessive body mass index.

I don't quite understand the widespread obesity in America. Anyone care to explain it to me? Why is nearly 60% of the population overweight?

I don't quite understand the widespread obesity in America. Anyone care to explain it to me? Why is nearly 60% of the population overweight?

In a word? Over indulgence. Our society nowadays is built around overindulgence and pampering one's self.

That coupled with an unwillingness to work at physically demanding jobs, and/or thinking walking around the block at a leisurely pace 3 times is exercise.

Our society is decadent and lazy, and being fat-n-unsat is the end result.

because we are wealthy enough to afford food.

People are wealthy enough to afford food in Belgium too, but their obesity rate is half of America's. Wealth is a factor in obesity, but it's certainly not the end all be all.

Source: http://wrongdiagnosis.com/o/obesity/stats-country.htm

I think obesity goes hand in hand with the lower class. If you look at the demographics for the people who are obese in America, it's mainly the poor. They can't afford healthy food. Lower quality of food usually means less nutrients and more calories. Add to that the sense of hopelessness and resignation commonly present in the working class, and you get an ignorant, fat population.

People are wealthy enough to afford food in Belgium too, but their obesity rate is half of America's. Wealth is a factor in obesity, but it's certainly not the end all be all.

I think obesity goes hand in hand with the lower class. If you look at the demographics for the people who are obese in America, it's mainly the poor. They can't afford healthy food. Lower quality of food usually means less nutrients and more calories. Add to that the sense of hopelessness and resignation commonly present in the working class, and you get an ignorant, fat population.

LMAO. Trying to make this a social issue huh? Fact is, if anything's to blame, it's fast food. It's too convenient and saves time cooking at home.

So that wouldn't entail only the lower class since only the wealthy have live-in chefs.

Then too, there's the "don't care" factor. Most people don't care what they're eating as long as it tastes good to them.

LMAO. Trying to make this a social issue huh? Fact is, if anything's to blame, it's fast food. It's too convenient and saves time cooking at home.

So that wouldn't entail only the lower class since only the wealthy have live-in chefs.

Then too, there's the "don't care" factor. Most people don't care what they're eating as long as it tastes good to them.

Fair enough, I absolutely acknowledge that fast food plays a huge part in obesity all over the world. But I would argue that there is a general trend of poor people eating more fast food than middle/upper class people.

An interesting insight into political policy in relation to obesity:

'The Fattening of America' Provides Contemporary Look at Economics of Obesity
01-02-2008

RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK, N.C. -- A new book written by Eric Finkelstein, Ph.D., a health economist at RTI International, and Laurie Zuckerman takes a contemporary look at the economics of obesity.

The Fattening of America: How the Economy Makes Us Fat, If It Matters, and What to Do About It, blends theory, research, and engaging personal anecdotes to address the causes and consequences of America's obesity epidemic.

The authors use humor and contemporary examples including the Biggest Loser, Jared, prisoners in Guantanamo Bay, and many others to explain how economic considerations drive our behavior to make us eat more and exercise less. In doing so, the book provides an understanding of why combating obesity is such a challenge.

"There are simply many more incentives to gain weight than to lose it," Finkelstein said. "We are, in fact, victims of our success as a nation. Unfortunately, the prize is diabetes, stroke and an increased likelihood of disabilities."

The book explores the role that business and policy makers play in America's obesity epidemic, and explains that successful obesity strategies need to do exactly the opposite of where the economy is taking us. They need to make it cheaper and easier to be thin -- not fat.

"I argue that technology and an advancing economy are responsible for the rise in obesity rates, but they will also be responsible for solving it," Finkelstein said. "I don't just mean bariatric surgery and obesity pills, I'm thinking of cool new technologies that will reengineer physical activity back into our lives. The Wii active video game and Dance Dance Revolution (or DDR if you're cool) are two great examples of using technology to be more physically active. I'm sure many more are on the way."

However, because obesity is a natural by-product of an expanding economy, the authors question whether or not obesity prevention efforts, even if successful, would actually leave some individuals worse off.

Source:http://carolinanewswire.com/news/News.cgi?database=01news.db&command=viewone&id=14&op=t

http://csicop.org/si/2005-09/obesity.html

Obesity: Epidemic or Myth?
New evidence shows that the obesity epidemic is not as bad as we have been led to believe. However, that doesn’t mean that we should dismiss the problem either.

PATRICK JOHNSON

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have probably heard that we are in the midst of an obesity epidemic. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) have been fervently warning that we are in imminent danger from our expanding waistlines since the beginning of this decade. However, evidence has recently emerged indicating that the CDC’s warnings were based on questionable data that resulted in exaggerated risks.

This new evidence has led to a hostile backlash of sorts against the CDC. The editors of the Baltimore Sun recently called the earlier estimates the “Chicken Little Scare of 2004.” The Center for Consumer Freedom, a group that has long been critical of the CDC, declared unequivocally on its Web site and in print ads in several newspapers around the country that the obesity scare was a myth (figure 1). Even Jay Leno poked fun at the CDC in one of his Tonight Show monologues, making the observation that “not only are we fat. . . . We can’t do math either.” Not everybody believes the new data, however. Cable talk show host Bill Maher commented during an episode of his show Real Time with Bill Maher about it being a shame that lobbyists were able to manipulate the CDC into reducing the estimated risk.

So which is it? Are we in imminent danger, or is the whole concept a myth? Looking at the scientific evidence it is clear that the extreme views on either side of the argument are incorrect. There is no doubt that many of our concerns about obesity are alarmist and exaggerated, but it is also apparent that there is a real health risk associated with it.

More...

its all about eugenics.. and social control first you get everyone dependent on social medicine..then you start to deny it. first smokers, then to the fat. then the old , drug abusers, beer drinkers the overstressed..those that wont take there soma to cure there delusions the state is trying to control every aspect of there life..and with the cashless society and the national id card your intake of such indulgences and activity's can be monitored and you can be taxed or refused treatment accordingly..because the government is good and loves to and wants to take care of you .......

first they came for the fattys.. but I did nothing.. for I was not a fatty

That's true, but it's not the only reason. The fact is, we're a fast food society. People stuff their faces with McDonald's and KFC and all that crap. It's not that hard to get fat when one eats that stuff and drinks a lot of sugared soda.

That said, there's certainly a greater availability of healthier food when one has money. It's obviously a lot cheaper to go buy a hamburger and fries than it is to go for grilled fish or sushi. Something as simple as buying a healthy salad for lunch while I'm at work costs at least $10. If I go to the corner deli and buy a sandwich, it's going to cost about $3.00 or $4.00. Pretty big difference when one works five days a week.

There's also more leisure time for things like exercise when one isn't living a subsistence existence.

someone should slap the shit out of W. T. Mayhall, Jr., John Read, Bobby Shows and remind them what the word liberty means after they are kicked out of office for wasting taxpayer money with shit like this..

someone should slap the shit out of W. T. Mayhall, Jr., John Read, Bobby Shows and remind them what the word liberty means after they are kicked out of office for wasting taxpayer money with shit like this..

On the subject of wasting taxpayer's money with health related rubbish, the government spent 2.4 million developing the "MyPyramid" system. Because apparently the previous pyramid wasn't working. Let's see what kind of results this one brings..

http://www.mypyramid.gov/

i don't know that any food chart is going to take the place of personal responsibility when it comes to any behaviour. the constitution doesn't require skinny citizens and fat people have the liberty to eat another donut. It is neither a politicians, nor a resteraunts, place to dictate who should eat where. I'm kinda shocked that it was two Republicans and only ONE democrat submitting such silly hogwash.

i don't know that any food chart is going to take the place of personal responsibility when it comes to any behaviour. the constitution doesn't require skinny citizens and fat people have the liberty to eat another donut. It is neither a politicians, nor a resteraunts, place to dictate who should eat where. I'm kinda shocked that it was two Republicans and only ONE democrat submitting such silly hogwash.

I think for the first time in history I am in total agreement with you Shogun, well said.

That was the point I made in the other thread. If you calmed down and didn't shoot your load prematurely there is a lot that you will see me post that you agree with.

That was the point I made in the other thread. If you calmed down and didn't shoot your load prematurely there is a lot that you will see me post that you agree with.

Don't patronize me when I'm agreeing with you, idiot.

Forum List

Back