Misleading Hadita Headline?

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Maybe I'm reading this wrong? Perhaps 'probe' doesn't mean investigation? What 'findings'? Is something 'concluded' that I'm missing?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060531...SlX6GMA;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Probe finds Haditha killings unprovoked

By Will DunhamWed May 31, 4:41 PM ET

A preliminary military inquiry found evidence that U.S. Marines killed two dozen Iraqi civilians in an unprovoked attack in November, contradicting the troops' account, U.S. officials said on Wednesday.
I may be mistaken, but doesn't seem like this lede is borne out by the rest of the article.
President George W. Bush said he was troubled by news stories on the November 19 killings of men, women and children in the town of Haditha, and a general at the Pentagon said the incident could complicate the job for the 130,000 U.S. troops in Iraq.

"Allegations such as this, regardless of how they are borne out by the facts, can have an effect on the ability of U.S. forces to continue to operate," Army Brig. Gen. Carter Ham, deputy director for regional operations for the military's Joint Staff, told a Pentagon briefing.
This would be a good setup, if there was more....
Forensic data from corpses showed victims with bullet wounds, despite earlier statements by Marines that civilians were killed by a roadside bomb that also claimed the life of a Marine from El Paso, Texas, Lance Cpl. Miguel Terrazas, a defense official said.

"The forensics painted a different story than what the Marines had said," said the official, speaking on condition of anonymity due to the sensitivity of the matter.

The official said there were wounds that would not have been caused by an improvised explosive device. "Did someone shoot somebody just for the sake of taking him out?" the official said. "Bad things happened that day, and it appears Marines lied about it."
Ummm, not sure where they are coming up with this, as there has been over a week of incidents saying that the Marines fired in homes, after the IED blasts.
"I am troubled by the initial news stories," Bush said at the White House. "I am mindful there is a thorough investigation going on. If in fact laws were broken there will be punishment."
A real leader would have said that "IF something is proven against the Marines involved, they will be dealt with to highest limits of the law. Until then, our military has served our country proudly, many sacrificing all they had to give. I'll not condemn any, until a court finds them guilty."
Residents of Haditha, 125 miles northwest of Baghdad in an area that has seen much activity by Sunni Arab insurgents, have told Reuters that Marines rampaged through houses and shot civilians after their patrol was hit by the roadside bomb.

The incident could represent the worst-known case of misconduct by U.S. troops in Iraq, and comes at a time when opinion polls show falling U.S. public support for the 3-year-old war. Ham emphasized the importance of U.S. troops having the support of the Iraqi people and government.
However, before jumping the gun, one should check out what has been going on here. http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/GEO037072.htm
which has been hotbed of insurgents. There is also this: http://hughhewitt.com/archives/2006/05/28-week/index.php#a002316

As for the 'misconduct' and 'poll results' let's just chalk that up to *ahem* bias of MSM. For the record, if there are Marines that did attack civilians, including handicapped innocents, (not all handicapped are innocent), and children, they should receive the maximum penalty of law.
TWO INVESTIGATIONS

There are two ongoing military investigations.

A probe by the Naval Criminal Investigative Service, responsible for cases involving Marines, might lead to charges including murder, officials said. A separate fact-finding inquiry involves whether Marines tried to cover up the true nature of the incident, officials said.

The defense official said the investigations should be completed in mid-June.

A preliminary inquiry was ordered in February only after Time magazine presented the U.S. military with information casting doubt on the official military version of the incident -- that civilians had been killed along with the one Marine by a roadside bomb.
How do they know that the investigation was ordered 'only after...?'
Larry Cox, executive director of Amnesty International USA, said he was "deeply disturbed" by the allegations, adding, "These accusations, if proven true, may rise to the level of war crimes."
then again, maybe not...
The New York Times reported on Wednesday that the initial investigation in February and March led by Army Col. Gregory Watt uncovered death certificates showing the civilians were shot mostly in the head and chest. The Times said Watt reviewed military payments totaling $38,000 to families of victims.

In an interview with CNN, the new Iraqi ambassador to the United States, Samir al-Sumaidaie, said there appeared to have been other unnecessary killings of civilians by Marines in Haditha, where some of his family lives.
I'm not trying to be clipped here, but what does 'appeared to have been' mean?

Forum List

Back