Military Spouses Face Difficulties Finding Employment

Discussion in 'Military' started by High_Gravity, Apr 12, 2011.

1. High_Gravity

High_Gravity Belligerent Drunk Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726

[​IMG]

2. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,395
    "Voluntary" transfers? That's not right.

3. interesante

interesante Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Honestly, the problem lies with the military spouses. Young military wives should be encouraged to better themselves with education, work, and life experience before jumping onto the kid wagon. Unfortunately, most of them don't and end up strapped on cash for a long time because of it.

Civilian teenagers and those in their early 20's are barely making it without kids, so how do military spouses expect to do any better? And honestly, there is a difference between having a job and a career. Being a waitress or working at the PX is an unskilled job. A career generally implies that you possess a skilled trade or have trained to hold a specific position that allows for advancement and the potential to make more money. In terms of careers, there are HUNDREDS of choices for military spouses if they bothered to get a bachelor's or master's degree from an accredited University. I worked for a few years as a Defense Travel Administrator ODTA, and made over 40,000 a year doing that. The problem is that dependents don't go to school, they might if myCAA will pay for it but even then they get a certificate and that's it.

I really think the military should actively encourage spouses to better themselves and feel like it's a good idea to wait a few years to have kids instead of feeling chastised for it. I waited, and I've been able to save money instead of getting into debt and have fun with my husband and make sure this is the life I want before getting locked into it with kids. This is the 21st century, the military can join us any time they'd like.

4. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    At least their families have ONE BREADWINNER.

5. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    They chose the mililtary life and it does have some downsides to it.

6. old navy

old navy <<< Action Figures

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    True, the Obama economy has made it difficult for people to find employment.

Fortunately, though, the food stamp program is thriving better than ever.

7. old navy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    Good. You get it.

This is the exact reason, with others, that the erosion of veteran and especially retired military benefits is unacceptable.

8. whitehall

whitehall Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,791
    Military spouses face employment difficulties like everybody else but they have special bennies with Military housing and medical and tax free PX. What's your problem?

9. old navy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    They also have to deal with the washing machine breaking, the AC in the van breaking, the dog going into heat, and a hurricane approaching, all while the husband is deployed. All the while, the wife is the Ombudsman and every other wife is calling about their problems such as a tree through the roof due to a tornado spawned by the hurricane. "How can I get my husband home?" she asks. Another wife has a sudden onset medical issue and is screaming for her DH to get home, after all, she has two kids. There are just a few things the military wife takes care of while the husband is gone. No problem.

10. Luissa

Luissa Annoying Customer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    They do have to deal with a lot, but I have to say.. I have not been impressed with some of the new crop of military wives. I guess I am just hearing the bad stories, but I have heard of a lot of them cheating on spouses, and expecting the world because their husband is in the military.