Military spending

Discussion in 'Military' started by Maggdy, Feb 19, 2016.

1. cnm

cnm Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36,645
    As though that makes it legal. You guys are ludicrous. Clever enough to make up lies and stupid enough to believe them.

2. Andylusion

Andylusion Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,442
    And what exactly was the lie? That Japan and the UK and other countries all believed it was legal?

If Kofi Annan was right, let's take it to trial. I'd be more than willing to see that argued in court.

Until then... it's just words. Back it up with actions. Oh wait, without the US, there would be no UN would there? Good luck.

3. Two Thumbs

Two Thumbs Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,598
    I was on one of the subs that found one of their subs.

you're a leftist windbag that regurgitates what he hears w/o ever checking facts.

Four legs good
    Two legs better

4. ThunderKiss1965

ThunderKiss1965 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,213
    Have you ever spent anytime on one of those boarders?

5. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,201

I have spent time on our own borders and I see that we don't protect them as well as we do those of other countries.

We have no need to keep our military spread out across the world where at our expense we not only protect them but supplement their economies by allowing them to pay less for their own militaries

6. Militants

Militants BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Over 400 billion € even after 2018.

Japan is strong military nation. Top ten in world.

Bigger Naval than Air Force.

UK are 20 first or 25 in world.

Germany will spend down after they sink down with soldiers.

20 billion euro or max 24 billion euro for Germany what I will.

144.000 reserves for Germany !!

Who other know in Super Power in money buisness what's.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  7. Andylusion

Andylusion Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,442
    Where exactly would you have us withdraw our troops?

I hear people say this a ton, and yet no seems to really want to be pinned down on it.

Germany? Ok, but we have treaties for troops stationed there. Kuwait? Alrighty, but we have treaties for those troops there as well. Do we just announce to everyone we're breaking our treaties? What effect will that have on the value of American support? Will anyone ever trust us again?

Not to mention, most of these places serve as important bases. Bases that would cost a ton to replace, if we needed to move back to those areas. It may cost a couple million a year to keep a few bases in Kuwait, but if we pull out, and then need to go back, we would have to spend billions to replace those bases we abandoned.

Are you saying we should pull out, and never intervene in those areas of the world, no matter what happens? That's an interesting position, if that's your take..... Not sure if that's a good plan or not.

And honestly, do you think that this will give Iran and Russia a view that they can do whatever they want, and we won't respond? Do you think that will not cause them to be more aggressive?

8. AdvancingTime

AdvancingTime Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Looking at both the cost and all the talk about war it is important to on occasion revisit the subject of nuclear weapons. Like many people I do not find what is known as the concept of Mutual Assured Destruction, or MAD to be reassuring.

The nuclear deterrent we hold is a hundred times larger than needed to stop anyone sane or rational from attacking America, and for anyone else an arsenal of any size will be insufficient. The article below delves into the risk, size, and cost of these weapons.

http://brucewilds.blogspot.com/2016/02/nuclear-weapons-putting-issue-in.html

9. Andylusion

Andylusion Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,442
    Of course ideally, everyone would disarm, and that would be that. Unfortunately, there is no chance of that happening.

Things invested, can not be un-invented. What knowledge gained in our information rich world, can not be un-known.

This is exactly why I have been a proponent of as much defensive spending as possible. There *WILL* be a nuclear war. It *WILL* happen. The question is, do we want to be able to shoot down incoming missiles or not?

I say yes.

But as to the size of our nuclear arms.... sure. We can slim it down. This is typical government though. Waste is inherent to government. You have a several dozen people in congress arguing aspects of military policy they have no knowledge of, and getting information from special interest groups on all sides, and looking to score political points "I am for a strong military! Look at my voting record".... and you end up with enough random weapons to destroy five planet earths.

And people actually WANT these nimrods running health care?

Of course the difference being that defense of the country is actually a constitutional duty of the government.

Now as to specifically why we have a large stock pile of nuclear weapons, I wager the answer is two things. One, I'm fairly certain about because it's true in almost everything the government does.... the cost of building 1 bomb is hu-massive. The cost to build the second bomb... next to nothing. Nearly all the cost is in the setup tooling and equipment capital costs. The cost of the individual materials, is almost nothing.

BTW, that's where the nut job crazy claims of $100 hammer, $800 toilet, come from. They take the total cost of the entire project, and divide it out by part. None of it is true.

The second I am far less certain about, because I seem to remember reading about this a long time ago, but I can't remember where, and I can't remember the specifics. But there was some reason that nuclear war heads had a high replacement rate, relative to convention weapons. I can't remember if it was because the material became less stable, or if the radio activity made the warhead less reliable, or what the issue was. But there was some reason why nuclear munitions had a short shelf life. And if I remember correctly (and I might not), they were placed in storage until they could be decommissioned, and dismantled. So I'm thinking a chunk of the warheads you have listed, are likely expired and in storage to be dismantled.

I could be wrong on that. Again, I can't remember where I read that. And it is also possible that my information is outdated. It's been years, possibly a decade ago when I read that.

10. Militants

Militants BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I wondering this to:

Army - 60.000
    Air Force - 33.000
    Navy - 16.000

109.000 of total of German Bundeswehr.